U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 10:11 AM

842 posts, read 533,857 times

Advertisements

So I dirtbike...I also lift very heavy weights to strengthen up my bones (hope it helps). Are there any other supplements/exercise I can be doing?

Took a hard fall 2 weeks ago and sprained my wrists. still hurts, but at least it snot the bone. figured if I did not lift weights, I would have broken my wrists? anyhow, just would like to do what doctors/nurses recommend.

hopefully this is the right place to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 AM

23,739 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
So I dirtbike...I also lift very heavy weights to strengthen up my bones (hope it helps). Are there any other supplements/exercise I can be doing?

Took a hard fall 2 weeks ago and sprained my wrists. still hurts, but at least it snot the bone. figured if I did not lift weights, I would have broken my wrists? anyhow, just would like to do what doctors/nurses recommend.

hopefully this is the right place to ask
Personally I think too many push their bodies too hard TODAY. I deal with a lot of arthritis and I'm 81 soon but know a lot younger than me who pushed harder than me and in pretty bad shape today with the push they did with weights etc. I feel the extra magnesium I take for years now is saving me and I have not broken any bones but had a surgeon break them when they did a hip replacement, which I often regret.

Be more gentle with your body, we don't get another one. Some are bionic with what they do now from years of pushing.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 AM

545 posts, read 224,088 times
I lift weights. I went running in January and fell on the sidewalk and banged up my forearm and whole side of my right arm (got up and kept running, agonizing over the possible damage). My arm and wrist ached for a month, but luckily no bone damage. I had to wrap my wrist with waterproof athletic tape fairly tight for about a month when lifting with a velcro wrist strap over it (to stabilize and prevent further stress on tendons) and doubled my anti-inflammatory (Aleve) and magnesium.

jaminhealth is right about magnesium. Magnesium, Vit D and calcium help bone density.

jaminhealth has a point about people pushing too hard, I don't know if you overtrain or not, heavy weights do increase bone density, but you will have to consider the risk that dirt biking carries with it concerning falls and wipeouts. We have a guy at the gym that races dirt bikes and works out. But he is in his 20's. Your ability to recover from risk related activities lessens as you get older. It is one of those pro/cons you have to consider I guess.

Old Today, 07:38 PM

842 posts, read 533,857 times
thanks! i will definitely look into magnesium. dirtbiking is part of falls...also part of breaking bones (for some and most)
never broken anything *knock on wood* could be due to heavy lifting? but have sprained for sure. was thinking of wearing a wrist brace as well, not sure how much that would help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness