U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM
 
6,494 posts, read 4,076,481 times
Reputation: 16785

Advertisements

I'm having a Moh's surgery to remove a small skin cancer next week. I've had this done once before and am not concerned about the procedure, but I was startled when the dermatologist told me to take no vitamins, no supplements, and no herbs from now till then. Then he added, "Don't eat too many fruits and vegetables either, they have a lot of vitamins!" I about fell over.

I've had various surgeries and procedures and am usually told to avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as well as fish oil beforehand because they cause blood thinning, but that's it. As a matter of fact, I do take several vitamins, supplements and herbs and I'm not happy about missing them all for over a week. And to tell someone to cut back on fruits and vegetables just seems bizarre. Has anyone heard of such a blanket ban, and is there any reason for it other than that the dermatologist didn't want to bother specifying which substances could potentially cause a bleeding problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2019, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Reputation: 41760
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm having a Moh's surgery to remove a small skin cancer next week. I've had this done once before and am not concerned about the procedure, but I was startled when the dermatologist told me to take no vitamins, no supplements, and no herbs from now till then. Then he added, "Don't eat too many fruits and vegetables either, they have a lot of vitamins!" I about fell over.

I've had various surgeries and procedures and am usually told to avoid aspirin and ibuprofen as well as fish oil beforehand because they cause blood thinning, but that's it. As a matter of fact, I do take several vitamins, supplements and herbs and I'm not happy about missing them all for over a week. And to tell someone to cut back on fruits and vegetables just seems bizarre. Has anyone heard of such a blanket ban, and is there any reason for it other than that the dermatologist didn't want to bother specifying which substances could potentially cause a bleeding problem?
We always have to follow the advise of our doctors or should anyway, but I agree with you, that does sound a bit strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,650 posts, read 19,962,004 times
Reputation: 45711
I was always advised to stop taking anything that was not medically required (Rx) before surgery, and no alcohol, but never told not to eat fruits and veggies.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,730 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Reputation: 15469
Maybe the doc is working to cover all bases re: liability. I don't go to derms often but never heard this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 12:38 PM
 
4,039 posts, read 2,613,367 times
Reputation: 8731
I've been told to stop vitamins (don't take any supplements) before but never cut down on fruits and veggies. If that's what the doctor recommended, I'd do it. It's only for a very short period and I can't imagine would have any long-term effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM
 
9,371 posts, read 6,257,903 times
Reputation: 17700
Because of the specific nature of a MOHS, there could be a lot of bleeding.


Anything remotely related to blood thinners are stopped before the MOHS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 02:53 PM
 
6,494 posts, read 4,076,481 times
Reputation: 16785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I've been told to stop vitamins (don't take any supplements) before but never cut down on fruits and veggies. If that's what the doctor recommended, I'd do it. It's only for a very short period and I can't imagine would have any long-term effects.
I won't take any of the supplements etc.... I know nothing much will happen in only a week if I don't take them. The fruits & vegetables are more difficult to cut back on because they are literally about 60% of my diet. I don't want to eat just meat and grains for a week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 03:06 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,115 posts, read 2,921,213 times
Reputation: 24062
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I won't take any of the supplements etc.... I know nothing much will happen in only a week if I don't take them. The fruits & vegetables are more difficult to cut back on because they are literally about 60% of my diet. I don't want to eat just meat and grains for a week!
I can understand the "blanket" command not to use vitamins, supplements, herbs" because its simpler than trying to sort through every patient's list of all the possibilities. And, as you mentioned, going without them for a short time isn't going to have a big effect. The no veggies or fruit does seem weird though.

Maybe a clarifying question to the doc about this? Explain your diet and ask if there are specific ones to avoid, why, and what others would be of less concern? Some might reduce clotting factors, affect an inflammatory response, reduce the effectiveness of some topical or oral antibiotic they'll use during or after the procedure, raise or lower blood pressure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 03:23 PM
 
6,494 posts, read 4,076,481 times
Reputation: 16785
Well, he didn't say "no" fruits and vegetables, he said "not too many." Whatever that means! Probably what I am currently eating is too many, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2019, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Southern California
23,730 posts, read 8,251,498 times
Reputation: 15469
These are said to be blood thinners, I know grapes are as grape Seed ex thins blood.

https://healthfully.com/355731-what-...the-blood.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top