Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 02:40 PM

249 posts, read 195,945 times

Advertisements

I saw this clinical study published in the June issue of Pain; also saw it on Medscape and Science Daily. Here's an excerpt from one of the articles:

"Patients with fibromyalgia appear to have specific gut microbiome alterations that differ from their healthy peers, new research suggests.

In the 'first evidence' to show this connection, investigators found that those with fibromyalgia had significant differences in 19 species of gut bacteria compared with healthy controls. They also had higher serum levels of butyrate and lower levels of propionate.

In addition, machine-learning algorithms showed diagnostic prediction accuracy ratings of 87%–88%.

'To the best of our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of gut microbiome alteration in non-visceral pain," the researchers note.'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,016,202 times
Hmm - my sister-in-law has an intolerance for gluten, and her fibromyalgia pain improved greatly when she cut gluten out of her diet....

Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 AM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Interesting. My fibro used to much more severe, had to take Lyrica, but I was able to stop that med and maintain a reasonable level of pain.

I have tried a lot of things to increase gut health, but I'm not sure if those things and the reduction of FM were related. If so, it was an improvement over the long term, nothing instantaneous.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-13-2019, 11:02 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
I was given the dx in 1999 and never believed it was a dis-ease and NEVER took the hard core drugs pharma pushes for it and which is all over the TV, including Lyrica...

I believe and will always believe, thyroid is so much a part of this FM dx...getting the thyroid working right and the adrenals too. The MD who did the dx is an endo and he went right to the FM...good grief ... he pushes guiafensen drug (sp).

I live with OA and it's my worst enemy, not this FM stuff.

Foods too, cut out the refined sugars and carbs...

Old 07-14-2019, 10:51 AM

What I find interesting about these correlative studies is that they'll never know which came first: the gut's lack of diversity or the disease, unless they have followed subjects for years, prior to disease development. And they certainly don't know if one causes the other: correlation does not equal causation, but I am a firm believer that foods can heal or harm. I don't have fibro, btw.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
What I find interesting about these correlative studies is that they'll never know which came first: the gut's lack of diversity or the disease, unless they have followed subjects for years, prior to disease development. And they certainly don't know if one causes the other: correlation does not equal causation, but I am a firm believer that foods can heal or harm. I don't have fibro, btw.
Very true. My motto is if you eat crap you will feel like crap. If someone is diagnosed with fiber it wont hurt one bitter them to clean up their diet and start taking probiotics and/or eating more fermented foods.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
It's said that emotional and or physical traumas cause the supposed FM stuff. If that's true mine came on after a body changing emotional trauma in 1999, I remember it well and subsequent issues with my body and changes my life.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's said that emotional and or physical traumas cause the supposed FM stuff. If that's true mine came on after a body changing emotional trauma in 1999, I remember it well and subsequent issues with my body and changes my life.
It is true that the gut can affect emotions and vice versa. I've read several pieces that suggest links between emotions, the brain, and gut microbiome. Check out these sources:

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: Does the Gut Microbiome Hold the Key?

Genomics of schizophrenia: time to consider the gut microbiome?

Pathways in gut-brain communication: Evidence for distinct gut-to-brain and brain-to-gut syndromes

Old 07-15-2019, 01:26 PM

1,311 posts, read 853,380 times
correlation does not mean causation
and fibromyalgia is as of now a diagnosis of EXCLUSION
i.e when doctors run a whole bunch of tests on you and then when all are negative , they basically are saying " you have a certain pattern of pain but i dont know why you are having it "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness