U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,160,130 times

Advertisements

I wasn't eating fast or talking while eating, but eating some cereal & in an instant, I took a breath (inhale) at one point & a cereal piece (cinnamon toast crunch) went down the wrong pipe (the trachea). I didn't even cough at that moment. I tried to cough it up & drink something, but it was lodged in too deeply, I guess & as I swallow normally, that keeps it lodged in there. Thank God I can still breathe & I slept well that night like always. I went to urgent care to get it checked out. They took a chest x-ray & saw nothing in my lungs. I was told to drink lots of fluids & it will dissolve. I even went to my pulmonologist to follow-up & she felt things went positively since my breathing's been overall good & I can still eat & swallow. She said to go to a GI doctor if I'm noticing that I'm inhaling food more often.

Do you have asthma too by any chance? I have a mild type that started out of the blue when I was 42 (allergic asthma).

Any tips, info, etc. about this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 AM

188 posts, read 37,934 times
Yes. It's called aspiration pneumonia if it doesn't dissolve, and it's quite dangerous; many elderly folks die from this. I'm glad you went to a doctor. This happened to me once, and I had to take a round of antibiotics because I couldn't shake the cough and subsequently developed a fever. Just monitor your temperature to be safe. NO, I don't have asthma, but I'm epileptic.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:21 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,706,760 times
This happened to me twice. The first time was a raisin that I was able to cough up right away, but it burned like holy heck. The second time, it was a piece of curried tripe from a Chinese buffet, about the size of the head of a tack. That one stuck around for a couple of weeks. It felt like something was stuck in there, but I couldn't figure out what it could be and I couldn't intentionally cough it up. Then one evening out of the blue I had a massive urge to cough, and out it came. At first I thought it was a piece of my lung, but then I realized, hey, this looks just like tripe. I had no complications either time.

Old Today, 01:30 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,160,130 times
Right, aspiration pneumonia if it gets worse.

I think a little piece of lettuce slipped into the wrong pipe too when I was eating a salad...right when I was just about back to normal from the cereal piece! Well, I seem to be doing pretty well these days, thanks God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or