U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 AM

72,051 posts, read 83,719,346 times

Advertisements

Last Friday I went to see my primary care doctor because of a wound that was due to the removal of a small canser and it was not healing. Of course he prescribed a new anti biotic. He checked what the price would be and to his shock it was going to cost $93. His suggestion was to not get it at that price but to call him is that really was the cost. He said it was generic. Sure enough when I went to pick it up: $93. I said no thanks and called his office to report the cost. Dr had left for the day but his office said they would pass the information on to his nurse practitioner. She called me back and insisted he wanted me to take that particular med. When I explained to her what he had said, she suggested I check back with the pharmacy as she thought it should be only about$10. Long story short, I did call them, the pharmacist asked if there was any reason I had to have it filled using tablets instead of capsules. When I assured him it made no difference. Sure enough a 2 week supply was $7 if I took them using capsules, but $93 if I took tablets. Explain that one!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:33 AM

3,587 posts, read 2,400,345 times
Explain that one? That's easy, it's one of the biggest scams around. The whole medical/insurance/pharma/ industries are corrupt. How else would you explain when one drug costs many times over here in the US to what it does in other countries. Same drug, same manufacturer, different country and market. That was in the news recently about insulin. Something that people are actually traveling to other countries (Canada) just to purchase at a much lower price.

Try goodrx.com. It does offer great deals/coupons on medications, even brand name ones.

Just curious what the antibiotic costs on goodrx, what was the name?

Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Explain that one? That's easy, it's one of the biggest scams around. The whole medical/insurance/pharma/ industries are corrupt. How else would you explain when one drug costs many times over here in the US to what it does in other countries. Same drug, same manufacturer, different country and market. That was in the news recently about insulin. Something that people are actually traveling to other countries (Canada) just to purchase at a much lower price.

Try goodrx.com. It does offer great deals/coupons on medications, even brand name ones.

Just curious what the antibiotic costs on goodrx, what was the name?
WE do not use goodrx because our Humana medicare usually is as good or better. I don't have the name right here as I am in the office, but the nurse practitioner said it would be around $7. she thought. Using Humana it was $7.15. I totally agree with what you are saying and I am not a supporter of medi care for all, Obama care or any form or socialized medicine, but I do think the cost of medicine is crazy I do understand it is our country that pays for the research or a lot of it so that explains some of the cost, certainly not all of it.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:21 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,591,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
WE do not use goodrx because our Humana medicare usually is as good or better. I don't have the name right here as I am in the office, but the nurse practitioner said it would be around $7. she thought. Using Humana it was $7.15. I totally agree with what you are saying and I am not a supporter of medi care for all, Obama care or any form or socialized medicine, but I do think the cost of medicine is crazy I do understand it is our country that pays for the research or a lot of it so that explains some of the cost, certainly not all of it.

A drug that has passed into the generic phase, has long since recouped the brand name R&D costs.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
A drug that has passed into the generic phase, has long since recouped the brand name R&D costs.
realize that. I am just mentioning this is something that needs to be taken into consideration which the poster didn't seem to be doing.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
realize that. I am just mentioning this is something that needs to be taken into consideration which the poster didn't seem to be doing.
I didn't mention it but that would be obvious. I did mention insulin and that has been around for decades. No patent or R&D on that one yet the prices are jacked up. As for the antibiotic you mention, I still wonder what the price would be on goodrx, if you don't mind, what is the name of it. You also have to remember that with goodrx, that is a CASH price. No premiums of any kind are involved. It's a good option for this without insurance.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I didn't mention it but that would be obvious. I did mention insulin and that has been around for decades. No patent or R&D on that one yet the prices are jacked up. As for the antibiotic you mention, I still wonder what the price would be on goodrx, if you don't mind, what is the name of it. You also have to remember that with goodrx, that is a CASH price. No premiums of any kind are involved. It's a good option for this without insurance.
Yes, as I mentioned our daughter and son in law, as well as my brother uses goodrx. My brother has medicare but his wife isn't quite old enough. BTW we have no cost for our pharmacy with Humana but it would be interesting to know what the price of goodrx would be. I think the nurse practitioner said it would be about $7. Here is the name of the med: cephalexin.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, as I mentioned our daughter and son in law, as well as my brother uses goodrx. My brother has medicare but his wife isn't quite old enough. BTW we have no cost for our pharmacy with Humana but it would be interesting to know what the price of goodrx would be. I think the nurse practitioner said it would be about $7. Here is the name of the med: cephalexin.

Thanks
OK, I looked it up and it's anywhere from $4 to $10 (and up) at local places depending on whether you have a membership which is free. Walmart has it for $11 with no membership required. That is for 28 pills. Not too bad at all. I wonder how that would compare to just walking up to the counter?

Old 07-16-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
OK, I looked it up and it's anywhere from $4 to $10 (and up) at local places depending on whether you have a membership which is free. Walmart has it for $11 with no membership required. That is for 28 pills. Not too bad at all. I wonder how that would compare to just walking up to the counter?
With medicare I paid $7.15 for 42 pills. Not to bad. I am still pissed that there is such a difference between the same med in either pill or capsule form. It makes no sense. You are right, the price of $11 say, is still not bad for those who are not on medicare with an advantage plan from an insurance company.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:37 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,108,525 times
I posted today on another thread that even the pharmacist balked when he saw that my husband's prescription of Eliquis would cost almost $300/month (no insurance payment was possible as we hadn't met our deductible). He directed me to a website with coupons and I was quickly able to apply for and receive a code that reduced the price to $5/month. I'm so grateful to him; we don't normally take any prescription meds and I didn't know such a thing was possible. However, the deal was only for people with private health insurance plans, not employer- or state-subsidized plans, so it wouldn't work for everyone. On the other hand, most people on those other plans probably already get a break on their prescription costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or