U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 05:17 PM

9,581 posts, read 6,356,704 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/healt...man/index.html

Some of you posted about kissing dogs in my "Germiest Things in Hospitals and Doctorís Offices" thread:Germiest Things in Hospitals and Doctorís Offices

All I can say is that that is just plain nutz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 09:47 PM

1,539 posts, read 563,356 times
That is a tragic story and I feel so sorry for that woman. Imagine coming back from vacation to that! And the open sore caused the bacteria to get in, wow. It would never occur to people that their dog could be so dangerous.

It’s similar to my recently getting a scab knocked off my elbow. I’m keeping a bandaid on, with all the IV users around Olympia, it would be my luck to have one sneeze on my arm. I can only imagine how many cases of Hep C are floating around.

FWIW, dogs are no more loaded with germs than anything else, even so, mine aren’t allowed to kiss my lips, although an occasional face kiss is ok.

Old 08-04-2019, 05:03 AM

2,685 posts, read 1,578,333 times
I think I’m doomed if puppy kisses can cause this. But it’s worth it to get the puppy kisses lol.

I have two dogs plus volunteer with a rescue group so I get tons of puppy kisses all the time. I do think she must have had a compromised immune system for this to happen and feel awful for her.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:41 AM

9,811 posts, read 7,115,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/healt...man/index.html

Some of you posted about kissing dogs in my "Germiest Things in Hospitals and Doctor’s Offices" thread:Germiest Things in Hospitals and Doctorís Offices

All I can say is that that is just plain nutz
The article is a cautionary tale, for sure. It doesn't mention whether or not the patient was immunocompromised-these are the people who usually have to be concerned with such infections, though it probably isn't wise to let a dog (or any other animal lick an open sore. And it's always a good idea to keep an eye on animal bites that break the skin, and get help ASAP at the first sign of infection. This is also true for cat scratches and bites, they also carry Capnocytophaga spp., as well as another potentially dangerous pathogen Pasteurella multocida, as normal flora in their oral cavities and mucus membranes. And one doesn't have to be immunocompromised to get a nasty infection from a cat scratch or bite with the P. multocida.

https://www.cdc.gov/capnocytophaga/t...ion/index.html

Old 08-04-2019, 10:44 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,228,754 times
It's a sad story, but I've never, ever let ANY dogs EVEN MY OWN DOG who was a completely indoor dog who I treated like my own child, kiss or lick my mouth, etc. Eeek. Just because they're domesticated animals, they have their own kind/set of germs/bacteria too.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:46 PM

2,537 posts, read 1,114,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
That is a tragic story and I feel so sorry for that woman. Imagine coming back from vacation to that! And the open sore caused the bacteria to get in, wow. It would never occur to people that their dog could be so dangerous.

Itís similar to my recently getting a scab knocked off my elbow. Iím keeping a bandaid on, with all the IV users around Olympia, it would be my luck to have one sneeze on my arm. I can only imagine how many cases of Hep C are floating around.

FWIW, dogs are no more loaded with germs than anything else, even so, mine arenít allowed to kiss my lips, although an occasional face kiss is ok.
As long as dogs keep using their tongues for toilet paper, I will have to disagree with you on that.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:49 PM

24,371 posts, read 8,518,568 times
I was talking to my neighbor today who has always had pets upstairs of me. She was walking her 2 little generics. I asked her if she kissed her doggies and she said "H" no. I have not owned pets but I've heard enough about the bacteria in their mouths and teeth that have been neglected.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:12 AM

72,343 posts, read 84,101,585 times
This is similar to the bacteria some cats carry. My husband ended up in ICU for several days because of a cat he was sitting for. The cat bit his leg, never thought a thing about it. 24 hours later he had a fever or 104 and was completely unaware of anything around him. This does not mean, by any means all cats carry the germs, nor do all dogs cause the sad problems this poor lady faced. That being said, let this be a lesson; don't let your dogs kiss you and watch out for the simple, harmless cat scratch.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM

2,685 posts, read 1,578,333 times
If you do get bitten by either go to urgent care or the emergency room immediately. I was bitten by a dog yesterday and went to urgent care who irritated the wound and started prophylactic antibiotics. Also tetanus and rabies since I don’t know the history of the dog who bit me. It attacked my dog so I stepped in to save her (she’s fine) and got 3 puncture wounds as a thank you.

They also said even with the antibiotics I may get an infection still so fingers crossed...

Old 08-05-2019, 12:17 PM

1,539 posts, read 563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
As long as dogs keep using their tongues for toilet paper, I will have to disagree with you on that.
Ha, well with all the dogs Iíve had and all the puppies Iíve fostered, an occasional kiss out of nowhere goes with the territory. It is noteworthy that Iíve never gotten sick from an ill timed puppy kiss, but canít say the same about humans. From shopping carts to door knobs to sick co workers, different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness