U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 05:23 AM

1,441 posts, read 687,819 times

Advertisements

As another poster pointed out to me the OP is only 17. I wouldn`t recommend her getting pregnant. I know someone who had a stroke from BC pills, so, I would be careful, with these also. There are options. Only her doctor, can advise this 17 year old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:46 AM

1,430 posts, read 564,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asurayama View Post
hi, how are you today?😁, mind if I ask you a question?, well it may seem silly but I'm really curious about figuring out if there is anyway of stopping periods permanently and safely, I'm going to guess the only way of doing so is by expensive surgery, but I was hoping that wasn't my only opinion out there, if anyone of you can help me I would greatly appreciate it, even if it's only suggestions that will at least delay it for a while and give me a break.

Thank you to anyone that helps.
You need to get on the Depo shot.It will stop your period as long as you're on it.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:44 AM

9,556 posts, read 6,349,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asurayama View Post
Thank you for your suggestion, perhaps i will speak with my mother about it and see if she feels we need to set up an appointment. if we do end up going i suppose i will see what i can do from there on.

You are 17. You don't need your mother to take you to your doctor,

Just go

Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM

15,196 posts, read 13,515,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Not sure why you'd want to but when I was taking BC pills in the 1970s you took them for 3 weeks, you stopped them for a week (or took a week of pills with no active ingredients) during which you had a "fake period" and then you started again. The reason I say it was fake was that it was technically "withdrawal bleeding"- the hormones built your uterine lining up and when you stopped taking them the lining would shed- pretty much like a period. In theory if you just kept taking them you wouldn't have a period, ever. I hasten to add that I'm not a doctor. In addition, formulations of BC pills have changed since then-lower doses and tri-phasic regimens where the amount of hormones isn't equal in every pill.

You might want to consult a doctor and run this by him/her but my feeling is that it's a bad idea- why can't you just let your body do its thing?
Huh? Who wouldn't want to get rid of their periods? They are messy, painful and just plain nasty.

Menopause was one of the best things that ever happened to me.....no more periods! YAY!

I wouldn't want to be young again if it meant I had to resume having periods......no thanks.

...........and I say that as a 65 year old who is still having hot flashes.

Old Today, 06:25 AM

45,483 posts, read 36,601,963 times
OP, first of all, if you can involve your mother in this and you have a loving, open, supportive relationship with her, that is ideal.

If not, you can go to a women's health clinic on your own. But either way, it does sound like you might have endometriosis or some other issue.

One thing I want to tell you is that until I had my first baby, my periods were tough. TOUGH. I did not have endometriosis but I did have a tipped uterus, which is fairly common. Even after I had my first child, my periods were never a walk in the park but they weren't agonizing. Having a tipped uterus gave me back aches and also diarrhea during my period. Good times. BUT like I said, it got easier after I had a baby.

Approach BC pills with some caution. I personally prefer the most natural approach possible. I really would try to eliminate foods that cause inflammation, especially the week before your period. These foods vary from woman to woman so it may take some experimentation, but possible triggers include sugars, gluten (wheat), sodas, fried foods, red meat, and dairy. What I would recommend is that you try purging ALL of these a week before your period one month, then try adding one in the next month, and see how you respond. I mean, this could take six months to figure out but you can make it! Personally for me, red meat, dairy and some fried foods don't bother me, but wow, sugars and gluten really do! Another friend of mine can eat gluten with no issues but can't eat dairy products. So like I said, it varies.

Also, I want to second the progesterone cream you can rub on your forearms. That has been helpful to me in the past.

Please keep us posted!

Old Today, 06:43 AM

4,104 posts, read 1,761,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP, first of all, if you can involve your mother in this and you have a loving, open, supportive relationship with her, that is ideal.

If not, you can go to a women's health clinic on your own. But either way, it does sound like you might have endometriosis or some other issue.

One thing I want to tell you is that until I had my first baby, my periods were tough. TOUGH. I did not have endometriosis but I did have a tipped uterus, which is fairly common. Even after I had my first child, my periods were never a walk in the park but they weren't agonizing. Having a tipped uterus gave me back aches and also diarrhea during my period. Good times. BUT like I said, it got easier after I had a baby.

Approach BC pills with some caution. I personally prefer the most natural approach possible. I really would try to eliminate foods that cause inflammation, especially the week before your period. These foods vary from woman to woman so it may take some experimentation, but possible triggers include sugars, gluten (wheat), sodas, fried foods, red meat, and dairy. What I would recommend is that you try purging ALL of these a week before your period one month, then try adding one in the next month, and see how you respond. I mean, this could take six months to figure out but you can make it! Personally for me, red meat, dairy and some fried foods don't bother me, but wow, sugars and gluten really do! Another friend of mine can eat gluten with no issues but can't eat dairy products. So like I said, it varies.

Also, I want to second the progesterone cream you can rub on your forearms. That has been helpful to me in the past.

Please keep us posted!
This is not feasible for some women. I remember when I was probably 2 years older than the OP, I almost passed out in the airport due to pain from cramps. I was practically delirious trying to find a place that sold Midol or some sort of cramp reliever. It was just miserable- and going through 1 super+ tampon an hour? No “natural” remedy was going to relieve that. The second day of my period I could just forget about doing anything fun because I had to be near a bathroom at all times. I really DID NOT want to go onto hormonal birth control and my PCP at the time (whose daughter actually couldn’t use BCPs due to migraines) told me to give them a try to see if they helped and they were literally the best thing that could have happened to me. People who don’t have agonizing periods really don’t realize how miserable it can be for other women. I had one friend who couldn’t do anything for A WEEK a month because her periods were horrible and she had migraines with aura. This was before Mirena was approved for women who had not had a child. She literally used multiple of the biggest pads available on a daily basis, pasted a hot pad onto her stomach, etc. She said she had tried BCPs before her PCP made her go off and like me, it was the best thing that ever happened to her. My mom also had horrible periods and also said they were the best thing that ever happened to her, but she had a stroke at 31 and smoked, so she had to go off them.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

2,319 posts, read 804,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Huh? Who wouldn't want to get rid of their periods? They are messy, painful and just plain nasty.

Menopause was one of the best things that ever happened to me.....no more periods! YAY!
I know- I happily pass up the Personal Hygiene Products section of the grocery store now. A cousin whose periods started before mine, back in the days of a pad suspended on an elastic belt described it as "bunchy and icky". Yep.

Old Today, 09:49 AM

699 posts, read 211,705 times
The OP doesnt need her mother, she needs to find a planned parenthood clinic or any clinic geared toward gyn problems and make an appt. PP does alot of women health, not just abortion. They will dx your problem and recommend treatment.
There are women who take BC continually, thus no period. Usually there has to be a medical reason, such as very severe migraines that only occur during menstruation.. thats why the OP needs a dx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness