Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times

Advertisements

I had an appt at my pulmanologist (speling?) yesterday and when the nurse takes you back, they check blood pressure, weight, take your temperature, and also put that little clamp on your pointer finger to check oxygen level, turns out my oxygen reading was 84! She was surprised and asked me if that was right, she said if thats accurate I should be on oxygen treatment!

But when I saw the doctor, he listened to my breathing thru my chest and back and he also had me do some brief movements while speaking, and he says he didnt see any problems.

My last appt before this one, about a month ago, I had a low oxygen level in the 80s, but then the nurse put the clamp on the other hand, and it was in the high 90s, so Im not sure why there would be such a difference between fingers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 11:30 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
It can vary and I learned in the rehabs I was in a couple yrs ago about Deep Breathing and getting more oxygen. Deep breathing thru nose, hold, release long deep breath thru mouth. Do this maybe about 10 times per session throughout the day. This is what I do and I'm fine.

I bought one of those finger clamps and never use it, waste of money for me.

I believe it's smart to keep taking antioxidants for general good health and circulation.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:05 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I had an appt at my pulmanologist (speling?) yesterday and when the nurse takes you back, they check blood pressure, weight, take your temperature, and also put that little clamp on your pointer finger to check oxygen level, turns out my oxygen reading was 84! She was surprised and asked me if that was right, she said if thats accurate I should be on oxygen treatment!

But when I saw the doctor, he listened to my breathing thru my chest and back and he also had me do some brief movements while speaking, and he says he didnt see any problems.

My last appt before this one, about a month ago, I had a low oxygen level in the 80s, but then the nurse put the clamp on the other hand, and it was in the high 90s, so Im not sure why there would be such a difference between fingers?
Did they try another finger at this appointment too? Maybe suggest that? Sounds as if there's a difference in the blood vessels in one of those fingers making it harder for the clamp monitor to read the O2 level as accurately. The meter reading isn't the only way to assess your overall respiratory condition.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-22-2019 at 02:31 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 02:13 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Boy do I know about this subject. First of all pulse oximeters are quite accurate and mine is mostly the same as when my 02 levels are checked at the doctors. If your 02 saturation level was in fact 84 you should be either passed out on put in the hospital.

I had a period last year when my 02 saturation was about the same as yours and I couldn't breathe without supplementary oxygen, which lasted almost 4 months. I was told to check myself into the ER at Johns Hopkins which is near me to find out why my saturation level was so low and why I needed oxygen to breathe. I spent 10 days in the hospital and they couldn't come to a definitive conclusion.

However I do believe as did some of my doctors at Johns Hopkins that the breathing issue was a bad case of GERD.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
I have poor circulation in my right hand from an old injury . . . if the 02 meter is placed on any finger on my right hand it barely registers. So they put it on my good hand and I'm always fine. I just have to remember to remind them not to do it on my right hand although their expressions when they see the almost non-existent reading are priceless. Have you ever injured the fingers or hand that they used? Raynaud's will do it, chilblains can do it, frostbite with lasting damage, etc.

Good luck . . . I hope there's a simple explanation.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I have poor circulation in my right hand from an old injury . . . if the 02 meter is placed on any finger on my right hand it barely registers. So they put it on my good hand and I'm always fine. I just have to remember to remind them not to do it on my right hand although their expressions when they see the almost non-existent reading are priceless. Have you ever injured the fingers or hand that they used? Raynaud's will do it, chilblains can do it, frostbite with lasting damage, etc.

Good luck . . . I hope there's a simple explanation.
Yep. Usually problems reading one hand means a circulation problem in that finger. If your oxygen saturation is really 84%, you would know it!

Old 08-22-2019, 03:06 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
Poor circulation, even just cold fingers, can affect the reading. So can fingernail polish and artificial fingernails.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:32 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
84% is pretty low...I would keep an eye on it.

Maybe order a fingertip pulse-oximeter, they can be had quite cheaply.

I wonder if the OP notices any physical differences when his oxygen is 84%???

Old 08-22-2019, 05:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
84% is pretty low...I would keep an eye on it.

Maybe order a fingertip pulse-oximeter, they can be had quite cheaply.

I wonder if the OP notices any physical differences when his oxygen is 84%???
The OP mentioned 2 readings in original post, one in high 90's.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:34 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Are you talking about the saturation reading?

I would think 84 would be dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness