U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:56 AM

30,734 posts, read 20,282,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I didn't start getting the flu vaccine until I started a job where getting it was a requirement. When I leave this job, I'll go back to not getting the vaccine.

I never got a flu shot either until I almost died from it.

My advice...do not **** with the flu.

Old Today, 05:54 AM

4,576 posts, read 2,709,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I'm one of the totally opposite people (no one believes me, but eh), back when I was in the Air Force I was required to get the flu shot every year, and every year like clock work, two weeks later I was at sick call with the flu.

Once I retired from the Air Force I decided not to get the flu shot anymore, and even with me working in a school environment, I have not gotten the flu once since I stopped receiving the shot.

Now, before you all go after me about trying to say don't get the shot, that is not what I am saying. My wife gets the shot every year, and hasn't gotten sick from it yet, and my adult son has not gotten the shot in the last three years and has gotten the flu all three years. So if you know it helps you... GET IT.
The statistics of flu is that about 10% of Americans will come down with it every year. But that does not mean your chance of getting the flu is 10%. Statistics over the bulk of the population are meaningless when it comes to an individual because each individual is unique and has different immune system characteristics.

Basically, if you know you are vulnerable because you have had the flu several times you probably should get a flu vax. If you rarely catch the flu perhaps you don't need the vax. Me, I am in the latter category so I never get it. My wife is in the former category so she gets the shot every year.

Old Today, 06:20 AM

87,216 posts, read 103,234,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

As a former flu vaccine provider, I've heard some variation of that story many times.

Old Today, 07:59 AM

5,396 posts, read 6,530,016 times
I usually get it in late October.

Old Today, 08:47 AM

10,628 posts, read 5,028,069 times
I always got my flu shot. The one year I didn't I woke up on my birthday with the flu. I didn't think someone could feel so miserable and still live. Since we have a lot of snowbirds & tourists that start flocking down in October I get mine around October 1st every year now. I feel a little under the weather the next day but nothing compared to having the actual flu.

Old Today, 10:10 AM

4,768 posts, read 3,778,429 times
Quote:

When I got pneumonia, the doctor advised me to get the pneumonia vaccine (I've had two versions) and a yearly flu shot for the rest of my life. Those in the thread who are younger can choose to take a chance and not get vaccinated, but those at risk can't afford to **** with it.

Old Today, 10:35 AM

9,685 posts, read 6,412,578 times
Quote:

No truer words have ever been spoken (written)

We will get vaccinated next week

Old Today, 11:34 AM

6,602 posts, read 3,668,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
As a former flu vaccine provider, I've heard some variation of that story many times.
I am pretty sure I got the flu during the 1957 Pandemic, and MANY other times during my childhood. I know definitely, I had it during the 1968 Pandemic. I had to stay out of work and my Mom had to take care of me living alone as a young working woman. BTW, she was in her 50's then, no flu shot, and did not catch it from me. Lucky?

Best I can say from my memory as a now 70 year old, last time I had the flu was back in the 80's. Sure I have had colds in all those years, but I think I know the difference between a cold and the flu. Besides being around my own children then, and later my husband with the flu who had a flu shot, I worked in public schools where not only all the little kids were sick with the flu, but staff as well including the 2009 Pandemic. That years was so bad in the school with so many kids and teachers sick, they were telling we TA's to teach classes. Want to guess the AGES of those of us who weren't sick from the flu? No, it wasn't just ME.

Just lucky for decades? Again, it wasn't just ME in 2009. Just as I would not be afraid of being around someone with Measles without a vaccine, I am not afraid of being around someone with the flu, including sleeping in the same bed.

I will go with what has worked for me for decades.

Old Today, 11:49 AM

6,685 posts, read 4,658,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
The CDC has posted its information for this season's flu. They recommend getting the vaccine by the end of October. Children who will require two doses of vaccine should get the first dose ASAP in order to get the second by the end of October. For people who require only one dose (all people age 9 and over, plus kids who have had two doses previously) getting it in July (now irrelevant) or August may result in less than optimum immunity. Please note August will be over a week from today. Second doses for those who are not required to get them are not recommended. Read it here:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/...sT9HXXob8LUbUU
I usually wait until Oct 1, but since Iím flying in late September Iím getting it early. Especially since Iím going to visit my infant grandson.

Old Today, 11:50 AM

20,166 posts, read 19,157,519 times
Informational post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or