U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-02-2019, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Southern California
24,906 posts, read 8,751,848 times
Reputation: 16202

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed78 View Post
No drugs . just fish pill and muiltivitamin in the morning. It may have been something I picked up in a hot tub near a pool, where several people were using.Dont no for sure but that's the last place I went before going to sleep. Thanks
I hope you didn't go underwater in the hot tub, those pools are full of germs. I never felt a comfort in them years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-02-2019, 04:45 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 324,287 times
Reputation: 3234
OP, I'm kind of wondering why your doctor(s) didn't help you to "make sense of what maybe going on"...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So you don't have a history of taking a lot of drugs, I asked you that one. j
And it was not an appropriate question to ask someone, so OP probably felt uncomfortable answering something so personal that could also open them up to some pretty judgmental responses. I'm sure they have noted your concern and will consider it to themself and bring it up to their doctor if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 05:23 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
16,586 posts, read 5,446,900 times
Reputation: 51994
I took jamin's comment to mean pharmaceutical drugs, not illicit ones. This would be an appropriate question to help determine if there is possibility that OP's sudden hearing loss could be side effects from an Rx drug or perhaps from a combination of different drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Southern California
24,906 posts, read 8,751,848 times
Reputation: 16202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I took jamin's comment to mean pharmaceutical drugs, not illicit ones. This would be an appropriate question to help determine if there is possibility that OP's sudden hearing loss could be side effects from an Rx drug or perhaps from a combination of different drugs.
You are correct, many pharma drugs do cause hearing loss. That is what my loved one's SHL was from, pharma drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 12:24 AM
 
1,156 posts, read 324,287 times
Reputation: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I took jamin's comment to mean pharmaceutical drugs, not illicit ones. This would be an appropriate question to help determine if there is possibility that OP's sudden hearing loss could be side effects from an Rx drug or perhaps from a combination of different drugs.
Well, no, not really. In today's environment, pharmaceutical drugs are quite a loaded topic, with some assuming that anyone using them, however legitimately, is using them inappropriately. In addition, it's still OP's own business what medications they are on, whether it's hydrocodone, losartan, Viagra, Depo-Provera, or plain old acetaminophen, and they're not required to answer when someone else asks about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 04:48 AM
 
402 posts, read 126,590 times
Reputation: 790
I was diagnosed with SSHL 4 years ago. I was treated with two courses of Prednisone burst-taper. Each time there was a small improvement that soon eroded. After about 6 weeks, I started losing hearing in my other ear. About 3 months after my initial SSHL diagnosis, I was diagnosed with autoimmune inner ear disease (which is always bilateral). The otoneurologist I saw at that point put me on an immunosuppressant (Azathioprine/Imuran). This stopped the progression of the hearing loss and even allowed me to regained a little of what I had lost. I could have regained a lot more if the treatment had been started earlier.

The moral of the story is: If you have SSHL and your hearing loss progresses in any way after the initial event — see an otoneurologist ASAP. Do whatever it takes to get an appointment ASAP. Do not let them put you off. You may have autoimmune inner ear disease and by getting treatment early you may be able to preserve what is left of your hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Southern California
24,906 posts, read 8,751,848 times
Reputation: 16202
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Well, no, not really. In today's environment, pharmaceutical drugs are quite a loaded topic, with some assuming that anyone using them, however legitimately, is using them inappropriately. In addition, it's still OP's own business what medications they are on, whether it's hydrocodone, losartan, Viagra, Depo-Provera, or plain old acetaminophen, and they're not required to answer when someone else asks about them.
Well just know that so many drugs, legal or illegal can cause hearing loss and many other damaging issues. So there are downsides, many to keep toxics out of our bodies. My hearing at 81 is pretty clear as a bell and glad I've been able to get off the 2 ibuprofen every 6 hrs and now only 1, less is best in my mind. I've a solution to get me off that dose of ibuprofen. I keep an open mind to everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2019, 06:49 PM
 
5,056 posts, read 11,171,331 times
Reputation: 12173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well just know that so many drugs, legal or illegal can cause hearing loss and many other damaging issues. So there are downsides, many to keep toxics out of our bodies. My hearing at 81 is pretty clear as a bell and glad I've been able to get off the 2 ibuprofen every 6 hrs and now only 1, less is best in my mind. I've a solution to get me off that dose of ibuprofen. I keep an open mind to everything.
You write this all the time and yet it is abundantly clear from everything you post that you DON'T keep an open mind to everything...

You keep an open mind to everything that is not related in any way shape or form to established, medical protocol...

If it means surgery you want nothing to do with it and you want to make sure no else has anything to do with it

If it means Pharmaceuticals which have been tested and proven to be effective and safe you want nothing to do with them...

If it means established medical protocols for routine screening exams you want nothing to do with them, apparently "you know better" than the experts who have devoted their lives to this study....

Please stop posting you keep an open mind to everything....you really don't and it is crystal clear apparently to everyone but you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 05:11 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,884 posts, read 1,121,033 times
Reputation: 6311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed78 View Post
]Very scared
Just found out by my ent today that I suffered SSHL. In my left ear. I was on my last day of vacation ready to go home and woke up to a clogged ear that got me worried so I went to an urgent care asap. I'm taking prednisone with a tapered schedule for two weeks and had one injection to the ear Thursday. I hear clicking poping and some rapid low tones in my effected ear. Looking for advice from any who can make sense of what maybe going on. Please.

"When you hear hoof beats coming down the road, it's probably a horse and not a zebra."


Most likely scenario: Vacation-->swimming-->water in ear-->pushes wax against ear drum-->hearing loss, often with clicking on moving jaw


OTOH- you'd think an ENT would be able to properly exam an ear to see occlusion with wax or an auditory canal inflamed with infection or fluid in the middle ear. Maybe it is the much less common sensorineural hearing loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2019, 05:15 AM
 
402 posts, read 126,590 times
Reputation: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
"When you hear hoof beats coming down the road, it's probably a horse and not a zebra."


Most likely scenario: Vacation-->swimming-->water in ear-->pushes wax against ear drum-->hearing loss, often with clicking on moving jaw


OTOH- you'd think an ENT would be able to properly exam an ear to see occlusion with wax or an auditory canal inflamed with infection or fluid in the middle ear. Maybe it is the much less common sensorineural hearing loss.

The only problem with the old “when you hear hoof beats” adage, if that you may indeed have a rare disease that needs urgent treatment. You need the zebra treatment right away and don’t have the time to waste trying all the standard horse treatments first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top