U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 01:19 PM

11,214 posts, read 20,810,404 times

Advertisements

I got my tubes tied in 2005. It's been great not having to worry about birth control. It didn't affect my libido at all. It was done as part of my c-section, so there was no additional surgery necessary.

Vasectomy is easier than tubal ligation, so if you're in a committed relationship and neither of you want children, your partner might decide to have a vasectomy instead. My BIL did that because my sister has a health condition that would make pregnancy and parenting very difficult for her. I thought it was great that he stepped up to the plate like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 01:43 PM

5,226 posts, read 2,410,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
I am a 35 year old woman who is considering sterilization. My form of birth control has always been withdrawal method combined with tracking my cycle obsessively by taking temperature and finding out when ovulation is happening and abstaining or using a condom during ovulation. It has worked in the past as I've never got pregnant but I don't want to worry anymore when my period is late, which frankly is something that happens often because my cycle can sometimes be a bit irregular.

I am a bit worried about side effects, complications or the process not working. Does anyone on here have experience with female sterilization, negative or positive?

I'm talking about the kind where they block your fallopian tubes, not a hysterectomy or anything.

I had a TL in 2003 following the birth of my youngest son. I suffered a very rare complication called Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome.

It mainly affects women with a history of fraternal twins or hyperfertility (hyperovulation). I have both. I suffered huge fibroid growths, heavy bleeding that was so bad I required blood transfusions, weight gain, adrenal fatigue, hair loss & volatile mood swings.

It was like a decade of unrelenting, severe PMS. I'm surprised in retrospect that I did not become suicidal. I was almost wheelchair bound; could barely walk through a parking lot.

Luckily, there was not too much damage done to my Fallopian tubes & a therapeutic tubal reanastamosis (reversal) was done. The difference in how I felt started the moment I opened my eyes in my hospital room.

Now, after three surgeries to address the fibroids; I am finally recovering. You will not see anything I just mentioned on a consent form & most doctors today have either 'never heard of it' or think it 'doesn't exist', because the incidence of PTLS is though to not be 'statistically significant'.

Until it's YOU it effects (which it likely would not be a factor for you); they don't realize just how significant it can be.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:01 PM

946 posts, read 193,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I had a TL in 2003 following the birth of my youngest son. I suffered a very rare complication called Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome.

It mainly affects women with a history of fraternal twins or hyperfertility (hyperovulation). I have both. I suffered huge fibroid growths, heavy bleeding that was so bad I required blood transfusions, weight gain, adrenal fatigue, hair loss & volatile mood swings.

It was like a decade of unrelenting, severe PMS. I'm surprised in retrospect that I did not become suicidal. I was almost wheelchair bound; could barely walk through a parking lot.

Luckily, there was not too much damage done to my Fallopian tubes & a therapeutic tubal reanastamosis (reversal) was done. The difference in how I felt started the moment I opened my eyes in my hospital room.

Now, after three surgeries to address the fibroids; I am finally recovering. You will not see anything I just mentioned on a consent form & most doctors today have either 'never heard of it' or think it 'doesn't exist', because the incidence of PTLS is though to not be 'statistically significant'.

Until it's YOU it effects (which it likely would not be a factor for you); they don't realize just how significant it can be.
Coschristi - thanks for weighing in. I have read about PTLS. Some doctors surmise that it may be a result of women being on hormonal contraception before the surgery and then struggling to adjust to their natural hormones once they quit taking the pill and have their own natural hormones. I am guessing that does not apply in your case?

Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM

23,540 posts, read 28,679,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh please don't discipline me, I was at the doctor's hands and trusted/believed him. This is not basic learning in public school. Why the surgeon did both I don't know but I trusted docs in the 80's but have had wake up calls. This is one right now. He's pushing up daisys so I can't ask...but it's done.
Sorry, but this story makes no medical sense at all. No hospital would allow a doctor to do a "tubal sterilization" on a woman who had already had a hysterectomy. The way the hysterectomy is done "ties" the tubes. The hysterectomy itself sterilizes the woman.

If your tubes and ovaries were not removed at the time of the hysterectomy then it is possible to develop a problem that would lead to removal of either or both tubes and ovaries, but that is not done for sterilization.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM

1,150 posts, read 321,079 times
OP, PM me if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Don't do it. Use condoms or the pill. It's better for your overall lifelong wellness if you continue to be a whole person with regular periods until your last eggs are gone.

Out of curiosity, how many children do you have?
Um, not exactly. My doctor did not like me being on birth control pills due to my family history of breast cancer.

Sterilization does not stop periods. It merely stops pregnancies. It has no health repercussions. Please do your research before giving advice.

Quote:
You do realize that having a tubal ligation means your libido will disappear - it disrupts the natural hormonal cycle.

If you don't want any children, and are 35 years old without an accident, I suggest you continue doing what you are doing. It's working.

Check for fibroids. Women who do not have children but who do have a couple of abortions sometimes develop fibroids which can lead to heavy bleeding towards menopause - it's not a good reason for a hysterectomy.
Tubal ligation does not do anything with the libido. It has nothing to do with hormones. The ovaries remain in place.

OP does not say she has ever had an abortion, and she is not talking about having a hysterectomy. Again, I suggest researching female sterilization before you continue to post.

Quote:
This is not basic learning in public school.
Well, yes, it kind of is. When they teach you where babies come from, you learn that they require a uterus. When you have your uterus removed, there is no longer anywhere to put a baby. I could have told you this at a young age.

And it rather frightens me that apparently a medical doctor was not aware of it. Are you sure they didn't follow up a hysterectomy with an oophorectomy instead?

Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM

1,107 posts, read 380,164 times
Some really good advice here. I'll just weigh in as another person who had a tubal ligation. It was 15 years ago with no complications. Day 1 was a small amount of pain, on day 2 I experienced some discomfort, and by day 3 everything was pretty much back to normal.

Also, no diminished libido - I've never even heard of that 'supposed' side affect....

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

1,746 posts, read 1,624,815 times
Quote:
Oh please don't discipline me, I was at the doctor's hands and trusted/believed him. This is not basic learning in public school. Why the surgeon did both I don't know but I trusted docs in the 80's but have had wake up calls. This is one right now. He's pushing up daisys so I can't ask...but it's done.
I don't think your experience is necessarily out of the norm... my grandmother had a hysterectomy back in the late 70s and they completely removed the fallopian tubes and ovaries. It's not common but not uncommon either for that to be done from my understanding.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

23,540 posts, read 28,679,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I don't think your experience is necessarily out of the norm... my grandmother had a hysterectomy back in the late 70s and they completely removed the fallopian tubes and ovaries. It's not common but not uncommon either for that to be done from my understanding.
That poster said, "I had a tubal ligation in my early 40's after hysterectomy, one of my best moves in life."

There would be no reason to go back and do a "tubal ligation" after a hysterectomy. The tubes are "ligated" as part of the hysterectomy. This is video of an actual abdominal hysterectomy and may be TMI for the squeamish.

https://www.operationalmedicine.org/...ectomy_vid.htm

Quote:
You do realize that having a tubal ligation means your libido will disappear - it disrupts the natural hormonal cycle.

If you don't want any children, and are 35 years old without an accident, I suggest you continue doing what you are doing. It's working.

Check for fibroids. Women who do not have children but who do have a couple of abortions sometimes develop fibroids which can lead to heavy bleeding towards menopause - it's not a good reason for a hysterectomy.
The tubes and ovaries are not removed during a tubal sterilization procedure. Thus hormone function is preserved. With the risk of pregnancy virtually zero, many women find libido improved.

What the OP is doing is working now, but as she gets older her cycle may be less predictable, meaning she has to avoid intercourse for more days each month.

Fibroids have nothing to do with either abortion or whether a woman has had children. Fibroids can get quite large (think the size of a six month pregnant uterus) and hysterectomy is a valid choice for women who do not desire complicated procedures to remove the fibroids and leave the uterus when they no longer desire pregnancy.

Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

57,206 posts, read 55,455,419 times
My daughter had the burning method. Took her in the morning and she was ready to go home by early afternoon. A couple of days of recovery. I think she had to use birth control for another cycle or so to be sure. She was 26 when she had it done.

It doesn't affect the libido. There's no physical reason why it would. The hormones don't change.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

5,805 posts, read 4,553,063 times
Had my tubes tied in 1984; never have had a problem. Perfect solution for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness