U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:04 AM

32,548 posts, read 20,493,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Didn't your DH have some surgeries. So much of this stuff is deferred from all the nerves in our bodies.
Yes he had surgeries. And still, it is caused by the arthritis in his neck pinching the nerves. They addressed that with a shot, and it went away.

They know what they are doing, they did MRIs, and nerve conductivity tests. So they KNOW, they are not GUESSING.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:18 AM

24,927 posts, read 8,762,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes he had surgeries. And still, it is caused by the arthritis in his neck pinching the nerves. They addressed that with a shot, and it went away.

They know what they are doing, they did MRIs, and nerve conductivity tests. So they KNOW, they are not GUESSING.
I've had enough MRI's and they can help BUT they sure don't have all the answers...the body does what it does. I had a couple after hip replacement and they read like crossword puzzles and just sit in my pile of reports and nothing done due to them, the body does what it does is the bottom and simple fact of it all.

And to do more and more surgeries, forget that. As Dr. Darrow reminds people, once cut arthritis sets in...

We can never know how others feel but I often wonder about my mom who lived with OA and NEVER did any joint surgeries and who knows maybe she didn't feel as bad as I
do with the surgery...she may have never lived with nerve issues, burning, tingling...we never talked about it that's for sure. Thinking back over my life with her.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Today at 11:34 AM..

Old Today, 12:11 PM

1,743 posts, read 849,818 times
Quote:
I've had enough MRI's and they can help BUT they sure don't have all the answers...the body does what it does. I had a couple after hip replacement and they read like crossword puzzles and just sit in my pile of reports and nothing done due to them, the body does what it does is the bottom and simple fact of it all.

And to do more and more surgeries, forget that. As Dr. Darrow reminds people, once cut arthritis sets in...

We can never know how others feel but I often wonder about my mom who lived with OA and NEVER did any joint surgeries and who knows maybe she didn't feel as bad as I
do with the surgery...she may have never lived with nerve issues, burning, tingling...we never talked about it that's for sure. Thinking back over my life with her.
There are a number of nervines that contribute directly to strengthening and healing damaged nerve tissue, whether it's caused by a pathological process or physical trauma. The most effective of these are skullcap, vervain, and St. John's wort, in that order. Nervine relaxants are anti-spasmodic so can help too, such as black cohosh, valerian, lemon balm, linden and more.

Old Today, 12:21 PM

9,936 posts, read 7,205,047 times
Quote:
Didn't your DH have some surgeries. So much of this stuff is deferred from all the nerves in our bodies.
Yup, and it has many many causes not at all related to surgery. One can bark up any tree one likes I suppose, in laying blame for one's ills, but it's not necessarily the right tree.

Old Today, 12:33 PM

32,548 posts, read 20,493,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yup, and it has many many causes not at all related to surgery. One can bark up any tree one likes I suppose, in laying blame for one's ills, but it's not necessarily the right tree.

Even if the first surgeries caused some nerve damage....... it's not he could have left his collar bone sticking up out of his shoulder. That was MUCH worse.

But we KNOW most of the current nerve pain he had treated was due to the same accident, just a different part of the injury.

Do stupid things, win stupid prizes.

At least he has learned he is no longer 20.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 12:38 PM

9,936 posts, read 7,205,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I

Actually, I had the opposite experience. I was virtually hounded into getting a “no-brainer” surgery which was a failure. Then they blamed me for the failure (when it turns out they were actually wrong).

I was told that I “needed” a partial colectomy to prevent further attacks of diverticulitis, that I was the perfect candidate, that this surgery had a 99% success rate. I did not want this surgery, so I got something like 4 other opinions. All the GIs and surgeons said exactly the same thing. While I was waiting and getting the other options, I had further attacks of severe diverticulitis, so I finally went with the surgery.

The surgery turned out not to be the easy laparoscopic surgery they had promised. Of course I was told that there was a possibility it could turned into a more difficult surgery, but this possibility was always mentioned as an extremely unlikely possibility in my case. So, I had a 3 hour open surgery with a foot of colon removed. Although I had no complications, it still took me a full two months to recover to 95% (full two years to recover 100%).

The surgery however did nothing at all to prevent further attacks of diverticulitis. In fact, the attack I had a few months after the surgery was one of the most severe I had ever had.

But here is the kicker. When I landed in the hospital with yet another attack of severe acute diverticulitis, the GI I saw had the gall to blame me. Yes, I was lying there after a failed surgery which I did not want but 5 experts told me was a “no-brainer” and they had the gall to blame me! He said: Well, if you had had this surgery done right away when we first suggested it, instead of asking for other opinions, if probably would have been successful. Well, then, I asked, why I was still given the exact same odds of success after I had had subsequent attacks? Long story short, they were wrong and they wouldn’t admit it

How do I know they were wrong?

1. My sister had the exact same surgery for the same reason right away. And the surgery failed for her too.
2. I did some research after this and realized that there were actually no good studies showing that this surgery was actually helpful. It had simply become the standard of care through authority and tradition.
3. This surgery is no longer the standard of care. At least, it is no longer proposed as a simple solution after one or two attacks of diverticulitis.
4. I eventually solved my own problems by changing my diet (I have to avoid a high fiber diet) and by taking really good probiotics. With just these changes, I have successfully gone 10 years with no attacks at all!
Wow, sorry you had to go through that. Glad you found a way to handle your diverticulitis, though.

I thought the current regimen for acute diverticulitis was an antibiotic regimen and bowel rest ( ie, no solid food) IV hydration and liquids as tolerated. I hadn't realized at one time surgery to remove the affected colon was even considered, unless the infected diverticula had ruptured. In this case the bowel contents would be spewing into the peritoneal cavity, resulting in peritonitis, sepsis and probable death. In this case, surgery to remove the affected colon would be life saving.

I've known several people who went through this. The surgery was done on an emergency basis when they went to the ER with severe abdominal pain and a high fever, and peritonitis from ruptured diverticula were found. The surgery involved removal of the affected colon, resection of the remaining ends and a temporary colostomy. After the colon healed, ( usually 3-6 months), a second surgery is done to reattach the colon to the rectum ( I think that's the way it goes, I'm not a surgeon) and the colostomy is removed.

Old Today, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Yup, we all have our trees.

Old Today, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
There are a number of nervines that contribute directly to strengthening and healing damaged nerve tissue, whether it's caused by a pathological process or physical trauma. The most effective of these are skullcap, vervain, and St. John's wort, in that order. Nervine relaxants are anti-spasmodic so can help too, such as black cohosh, valerian, lemon balm, linden and more.
Thanks and I may look into skullcap, I've been reading lately about prickley pear and thinking on this one.

Old Today, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Wow, sorry you had to go through that. Glad you found a way to handle your diverticulitis, though.

I thought the current regimen for acute diverticulitis was an antibiotic regimen and bowel rest ( ie, no solid food) IV hydration and liquids as tolerated. I hadn't realized at one time surgery to remove the affected colon was even considered, unless the infected diverticula had ruptured. In this case the bowel contents would be spewing into the peritoneal cavity, resulting in peritonitis, sepsis and probable death. In this case, surgery to remove the affected colon would be life saving.

I've known several people who went through this. The surgery was done on an emergency basis when they went to the ER with severe abdominal pain and a high fever, and peritonitis from ruptured diverticula were found. The surgery involved removal of the affected colon, resection of the remaining ends and a temporary colostomy. After the colon healed, ( usually 3-6 months), a second surgery is done to reattach the colon to the rectum ( I think that's the way it goes, I'm not a surgeon) and the colostomy is removed.
My dad almost was headed for colostomy but was able to avoid..my mother worked hard to nurse him back to good health, he ate everything in sight all his life...that changed after diverticultis. Way way too much alcohol all his life didn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or