U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 07:01 PM

32,515 posts, read 20,473,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Now the rate of that complication is on the order of 1 in 10,000 (that's 10^3). And if it happens on the first surgery, but then again on a second surgery, the chances of that are 10^3 x 10^3 = 1 in one million, and for it to happen again on your third surgery, we're talkin one in a billion pts.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars.... Sciatica occurs in up to 40% of people over the course of a lifetime.

This. I was going to say that if you have had 3 surgeries, and 3 cases of nerve damage, your body is different from the general population, and that's not the fault of the doctors.

Sciatica occurs naturally, and I doubt my male co-workers horrible case of it was from a hysterectomy.

That said, yes, nerve damage does occur. DH may have some from his surgeries, OR it is from the nerves being constricted in his damage vertebrae. He has pain from that, OR he has pain from the damage he caused during the injury.

Your knee hurt before surgery, that's why you were getting injections, you got an infection, and it still hurts. That's pretty hard to put on the doctors.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 PM

1,810 posts, read 849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Reject the conventional medical system based on dangerous and unnecessary (yet profitable) surgeries, drugs, vaccines, etc., etc. blah blah blah. "Ask yourself" before "asking your doctor"..
I'll listen to my doctor, since rare sinus cancers seldom heal themselves.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:47 PM

24,892 posts, read 8,741,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I have 13 stents
2x fem-pops (femoral arteries graphed)
abdominal aorta graphed
And just had a carotid stented

All before 45.

No nerve damage.
You are one fortunate person!!!!!

That's a lot of stents, new one on me.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This. I was going to say that if you have had 3 surgeries, and 3 cases of nerve damage, your body is different from the general population, and that's not the fault of the doctors.

Sciatica occurs naturally, and I doubt my male co-workers horrible case of it was from a hysterectomy.

That said, yes, nerve damage does occur. DH may have some from his surgeries, OR it is from the nerves being constricted in his damage vertebrae. He has pain from that, OR he has pain from the damage he caused during the injury.

Your knee hurt before surgery, that's why you were getting injections, you got an infection, and it still hurts. That's pretty hard to put on the doctors.
Oh Mikala if you are referring to me, OA started in my knee when I was 57, got worse with hip replacement at 72 and worse with infection late 70's...so it's progressed for years. That's what most with OA issues deal with. And yes went thru aggrevating situations, hope I'm done but who knows what's down the road, none of us know that one.

Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM

2,880 posts, read 1,119,666 times
Quote:

Now the rate of that complication is on the order of 1 in 10,000 (that's 10^3). And if it happens on the first surgery, but then again on a second surgery, the chances of that are 10^3 x 10^3 = 1 in one million, and for it to happen again on your third surgery, we're talkin one in a billion pts.

Silly me; bad arithmetic. 10,000 is 10^4, so three nerve injuries in three surgeries is 1 in 1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion)

Jamin- a bad hip from OA will put a strain on other joints as you favor the bum hip. Your problems are not from nerve damage, but from OA. Very common for one severely dysfunctional joint to result in other joint problems.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; Yesterday at 05:15 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Silly me; bad arithmetic. 10,000 is 10^4, so three nerve injuries in three surgeries is 1 in 1,000,000,000,000 (one trillion)

Jamin- a bad hip from OA will put a strain on other joints as you favor the bum hip. Your problems are not from nerve damage, but from OA. Very common for one severely dysfunctional joint to result in other joint problems.
Do you live in my body? Live with a right thigh that is numb? Dead nerves is what I see it as.

I've read plenty of info on the femerol nerve damage done from the Anterior approach surgery and how some surgeons are not doing them due to this issue.

Last edited by jaminhealth; Yesterday at 11:46 AM..

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

2,326 posts, read 2,732,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Do you live in my body? Live with a right thigh that is numb? Dead nerves is what I see it as.

I've read plenty of info on the femerol nerve damage done from the Anterior approach surgery and how some surgeons are not doing them due to this issue.
You are saying that your right thigh is numb and you have "dead" nerves. I'm having trouble understanding the connection of those two things with your pain. How do "dead" and numb parts of the body cause pain?

Not trying to insult you, but I don't understand what you are saying here.

Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM

3,760 posts, read 1,656,501 times
I've had lotsa surgeries and no nerve pain.

Pain is in my shoulders but I doubt any surgery can fix that. Shoulders are problematic.

OP, try some MJ edibles. You won't care about the pain as much, and you'll sleep well.

Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM

1,737 posts, read 848,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm feeling enough angst and pain this morning due to 40 yrs of Sciatic nerve damage from hysterectomy in the 80's...I've had some years of relief but have been in a flair for a couple miserable years.
Maybe you have sciatica, especially given your lower back pain. There is also an association between sciatica and arthritis which you said you've had since age 18.

I had sciatica for a very painful and debilitating 2 year period. Sciatica is easily mistaken for arthritis pain. Long story short - inflammation causes the pain regardless of which one is the source. If I were you, I would scrutinize everything I consumed in the 48-72 hours preceding waking up in more pain, including supps that may not play well together, and start paying attention to all of that. Significantly increase anti-inflammatory foods, and reduce or eliminate inflammatory foods, and eat a nutrient-rich healing diet.

Sitting for long periods will also make sciatica flare. When we go on long trips now, we just take longer to reach our destination. I can't remember the last time I had to take an OTC med, which doesn't do much for nerve pain anyway. Barely makes it tolerable and is not worth the long term side effects.

I have since learned that Feverfew has been used through the ages for both sciatica and neuralgia. It calms the irritated, inflamed nerves, but obviously it's best to avoid inflaming it unnecessarily. St. John's Wort is also used for that. I haven't had the need to try either one yet.

Quote:

And the major nerve damage from hip replacement, right side of body is sore and pretty dead.

And believe nerve damage from knee arthroscopy clean out a couple yrs ago.

3 types of surgeries in my life and plenty of damage.

If one escapes nerve damage due to surgeries they are very fortunate.
Maybe it's time to explore other possibilities for the source of your pain. Pain is just a symptom, and only addressing that doesn't help the underlying issue. Even if it was from surgery.

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

9,737 posts, read 6,447,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So, why do you go to a group of people you don't know to vent and rant online? If you're expecting and desiring no response, why not just write in a journal instead of putting your feelings out to all kinds of people you don't care about and don't want to hear from anyway?

I'm thinking that if you had had no response whatsoever to your original post, you'd be feeling a little put out right now. Maybe I'm wrong. But generally people post on online forums because they want people to read what they've written and respond. That's how it works.

Probably better to see a therapist or psychiatrist instead of venting and ranting in an anonymous forum. (This is the same suggestion that I've made many times to many other posters on this forum)

That way, you can truly get the help that you need.

Last edited by mike1003; Yesterday at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or