Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 11:59 AM

132 posts, read 272,243 times

Advertisements

So I've been suffering from mild back pain on and off for a year now and just went to see the chiropractor today. He took the x ray and said that my spine was curved to the left and that the spacing between the last two discs was slightly shortened ( sorry couldn't describ it in a more medical way since I forgot all the terms he mentioned , maybe a mild herniated disc? ). He also did an adjustment & massage and wanted me to be back next week to talk about the treatment plan.

Although my insurance would pay most of the visits (70%), Several hundreds still not a small amount ( and there's one hour driving time). I would like to know what to expect for the next visit. I am not feeling very comfortable with the usual "multi visits per week for several weeks" kind of plan, but I am always too shy to say no if others start being pushy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 12:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I would NOT buy into a "plan" but seek out another chiro for work on your terms. I've seen chiros for decades of my life and never did a plan and don't think any of them offered that to me.

Learn a lot of exercises and stretches and do some PT if you can and some chiro too, but no plan as I see it.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Ok, I've dated them, befriended them, worked for them, gone to over 40
in many states, ( now I may see one once a yr unless I fall down or something)...I know about the different schools, the electives they take , different modalities, and biz building conferences they attend...
doesn't matter that I'm shopping while they're being pumped up...they still tell me so much!

I also would say do not 'buy any plan'...NOT that they are crooks necessarily bec according to the length of time you have been in pain, had muscles spasming to pull you back into alignment or
compensating for weakened muscles, whatever....then, sometimes
2-3 xs a week works great for a week or 2...why?
Because if the muscles are super spasmed...within an hr of an adjustment they pull you right back out of alignment ....the body needs to get used to being in the correct position.

But, who knows if that is 'you'. So you be in control as to how often you would like to go in.
Me? if I were relocating and looking for a new chiro...I ask if they practice AK, Applied
Kinesiology ...if they don't they are guessing even with an X-ray.
I have even had a new chiro (mine died) say, "I think this is it."
Oh, brother...he was guessing? Yup.
I also ask if they do SOT...sacral-occipital-technique.

And if they do not have a table you stand on then lower...I know
they have no idea how badly people hurt, many can not even lay on a table prone or supine lowering themselves.

Also, with a good AK doc they don't need X-rays. But, nothing wrong with them.
If they don't know AK they need them!
Oh, and I also like going to one that does ART...Active Release Therapy.
If asked and they don't even know about it, I would say, he's not for me, personally.

I also tell people if they don't feel some improvement in 3 weeks, certainly in 2 months...pls, go to
someone else!

And sometimes seeing a PT once or twice in conjunction gets you better faster...But I have much to say on which PT!

Old 06-02-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ok, I've dated them, befriended them, worked for them, gone to over 40
in many states, ( now I may see one once a yr unless I fall down or something)...I know about the different schools, the electives they take , different modalities, and biz building conferences they attend...
doesn't matter that I'm shopping while they're being pumped up...they still tell me so much!

I also would say do not 'buy any plan'...NOT that they are crooks necessarily bec according to the length of time you have been in pain, had muscles spasming to pull you back into alignment or
compensating for weakened muscles, whatever....then, sometimes
2-3 xs a week works great for a week or 2...why?
Because if the muscles are super spasmed...within an hr of an adjustment they pull you right back out of alignment ....the body needs to get used to being in the correct position.

But, who knows if that is 'you'. So you be in control as to how often you would like to go in.
Me? if I were relocating and looking for a new chiro...I ask if they practice AK, Applied
Kinesiology ...if they don't they are guessing even with an X-ray.
I have even had a new chiro (mine died) say, "I think this is it."
Oh, brother...he was guessing? Yup.
I also ask if they do SOT...sacral-occipital-technique.

And if they do not have a table you stand on then lower...I know
they have no idea how badly people hurt, many can not even lay on a table prone or supine lowering themselves.

Also, with a good AK doc they don't need X-rays. But, nothing wrong with them.
If they don't know AK they need them!
Oh, and I also like going to one that does ART...Active Release Therapy.
If asked and they don't even know about it, I would say, he's not for me, personally.

I also tell people if they don't feel some improvement in 3 weeks, certainly in 2 months...pls, go to
someone else!

And sometimes seeing a PT once or twice in conjunction gets you better faster...But I have much to say on which PT!

Wow, so informative! Thanks for typing all these details and educating me. Now shall I go on Monday and see what he says or just cancel the visit and disappear? I am afraid things will get ugly if I say no to his purposal.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr2163 View Post
Wow, so informative! Thanks for typing all these details and educating me. Now shall I go on Monday and see what he says or just cancel the visit and disappear? I am afraid things will get ugly if I say no to his purposal.
Things should not get ugly, you are in charge of your finances, driving and body. Do you have other chiros where you live?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Things should not get ugly, you are in charge of your finances, driving and body. Do you have other chiros where you live?
Unfortunately this is the nearest one, there was another one who I saw once couple of years ago and he also tried to get me into a "plan".

Old 06-02-2017, 01:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
It is generally best to talk with the chiropractor at length to discuss your treatment options then tell them what you are comfortable with and if you are still not sure seek a second opinion.
I have also found that a treatment plan can and will be adjusted along the way if/when you progress faster than anticipated.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
I have been to a few chiropractors over the years. The best one was a man who did a wonderful job and never pressured me to have more sessions. I always felt refreshed and pain free when I left his office.

The worst was a Chiropractic office that was run like a mill. I was pressured from the moment I walked in, and lectured by the chiropractor about how proper alignment was the key to all health and keeping all diseases at bay. He told me I needed 2 to 3 sessions per week at a minimum. Then he did this move on my neck that was not the normal twist. I practically ran out of that place.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:41 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
see if they will do follow up x-rays to show improvement. Hint: they won't.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I don't know exactly what was said to you in terms of finances, but a treatment plan is not synonymous with committing to some prepaid schedule of visits. Clinically speaking, it's a document setting out your current condition, the recommended treatments and the goal of treatment, with an estimated time frame. But it's always at your discretion on whether or not to schedule the next appointment (although for convenience, many practices will schedule 2 or 3 at a time).

This is the case for chiropractic, PT, massage therapy and similar fields.

Yes, run far, far away if they start to tell you you need to pre-pay for a series of 12 or 20 or whatever visits. But that is not what the common usage of treatment plan means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness