U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 07:16 PM

14,824 posts, read 8,694,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The companies are recouping the cost of researching and coming up with a treatment. You can’t expect them to do it for free. In a non-rare disease the cost can be spread out between more people. That’s not possible when it’s rare. As someone with a rare disease I’d love for a treatment to be available.
Exactly. I hate my huge drug bills as much as the next broke American, but it can cost BILLIONS of dollars to get a drug to market. Inventing new drugs doesn't happen by accident (except in extremely rare cases). It's not free. It takes years or even decades to develop a new drug. Many of these attempts fail and the drug is never made, but those failures cost drug companies money too. Thus, the drug companies have to charge for all the research that goes into the failures and successes when a drug gets made. I know how the lady feels, though my medicine is far cheaper. I have a $1,000 drug in the fridge next to my salsa jar. Medicare doesn't cover it at all. My neurologist gives me free samples or I could never afford it and it's "only" a $1,000 monthly shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 07:47 PM

22,001 posts, read 14,598,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
The companies are recouping the cost of researching and coming up with a treatment. You canít expect them to do it for free. In a non-rare disease the cost can be spread out between more people. Thatís not possible when itís rare. As someone with a rare disease Iíd love for a treatment to be available.
Oh please, they are well beyond the recouping the cost of R&D and making a small profit, they are full on price gouging and racketeering.

Old 09-08-2019, 07:48 PM

22,001 posts, read 14,598,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. I hate my huge drug bills as much as the next broke American, but it can cost BILLIONS of dollars to get a drug to market. Inventing new drugs doesn't happen by accident (except in extremely rare cases). It's not free. It takes years or even decades to develop a new drug. Many of these attempts fail and the drug is never made, but those failures cost drug companies money too.
Well, I sure hope these drug companies never have to file for bankruptcy.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:05 PM

9,777 posts, read 6,463,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Oh please, they are well beyond the recouping the cost of R&D and making a small profit, they are full on price gouging and racketeering.

And, you know the cost of years and years of development, clinical research and manufacturing?

I used to know how many new drugs went to trials and failed vs hit the market, I don't remember it anymore.

As for your next post on file for bankruptcy, then where will drugs come from?

Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM

7,675 posts, read 2,327,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
And, you know the cost of years and years of development, clinical research and manufacturing?

I used to know how many new drugs went to trials and failed vs hit the market, I don't remember it anymore.

As for your next post on file for bankruptcy, then where will drugs come from?
Most drugs are me too drugs. Not a whole lotta investment for something that works half as well as what's already on the market yet somehow costs way more.

Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM

8,327 posts, read 5,096,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Most drugs are me too drugs. Not a whole lotta investment for something that works half as well as what's already on the market yet somehow costs way more.

Please cite your source for this assertion.

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Please cite your source for this assertion.
It's a fact. If you want to research it, go ahead. I'm not your secretary. Otherwise stay ignorant.

As always, completely stunned by the lack of effort put forth by those who claim to be "knowledgable." It's almost like they don't want to know what they don't know. Eliminates accountability.

Old Yesterday, 06:29 AM

9,953 posts, read 7,215,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's a fact. If you want to research it, go ahead. I'm not your secretary. Otherwise stay ignorant.

As always, completely stunned by the lack of effort put forth by those who claim to be "knowledgable." It's almost like they don't want to know what they don't know. Eliminates accountability.
Translation: Claim off the top of my head, no idea if there's anything out there to support it.

Best defense is a good offense, as always.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,738,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Translation: Claim off the top of my head, no idea if there's anything out there to support it.

Exactly! I was thinking the same thing.

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

Well, no. This isn't a contest, although it does appear that people like to keep score for themselves. I guess they get superiority points to put on their wall at home? Dunno. Don't care.

Whether or not a person does the research is up to THEM. I don't control what anyone else CHOOSES to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness