U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-05-2019, 08:15 AM
 
8,015 posts, read 4,535,485 times
Reputation: 11942

Advertisements

Once you're fully in menopause, does hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progesterone) tend to increase or decrease weight? Please no lectures about how "dangerous" it is; I am plagued by unbearable hot flashes day and night whenever I try to wean myself off them and have resolved that it's worth the risk. I'm just curious to what degree it's contributing to my creeping weight gain over the years. One would think that restoring/maintaining the hormonal status of a younger, pre-menopausal woman would result in less body fat accumulation, but - on the other hand - estrogen is notorious for causing fat storage at puberty. Any medical/science types know the answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2019, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Southern California
24,947 posts, read 8,796,228 times
Reputation: 16238
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Once you're fully in menopause, does hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progesterone) tend to increase or decrease weight? Please no lectures about how "dangerous" it is; I am plagued by unbearable hot flashes day and night whenever I try to wean myself off them and have resolved that it's worth the risk. I'm just curious to what degree it's contributing to my creeping weight gain over the years. One would think that restoring/maintaining the hormonal status of a younger, pre-menopausal woman would result in less body fat accumulation, but - on the other hand - estrogen is notorious for causing fat storage at puberty. Any medical/science types know the answer?
Thinking back in my life after menopause everything went wacky in my body and I tried some MD's drug and got off it pretty quickly,,,,my breasts got hard as rocks...forget that. DHEA has saved me after meeting with an integrative MD and finding out about this therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Status: " Water is sacred" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Laurentia
2,972 posts, read 1,334,534 times
Reputation: 6758
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Once you're fully in menopause, does hormone replacement therapy (estrogen and progesterone) tend to increase or decrease weight? Please no lectures about how "dangerous" it is; I am plagued by unbearable hot flashes day and night whenever I try to wean myself off them and have resolved that it's worth the risk. I'm just curious to what degree it's contributing to my creeping weight gain over the years. One would think that restoring/maintaining the hormonal status of a younger, pre-menopausal woman would result in less body fat accumulation, but - on the other hand - estrogen is notorious for causing fat storage at puberty. Any medical/science types know the answer?
No lectures

Okay--disclaimer first. I don't work in the medical field but am considered a well-informed women's health advocate and am neutral on the issue of HRT.

I am sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with the hot flashes; they can be really miserable and they usually seem to be worse at night. I got really lucky and did not get them bad--just once in a while I would get a bad one.

Metabolism slows down during perimenopause and in menopause--which can lead to weight gain. Also, body fat tends to redistribute from the hips up to the abdomen. Unfortunately age in general causes our metabolism to slow. We can increase our resting metabolism somewhat by exercise, particularly the type that builds muscle since muscle is more metabolically active than is fat. Many women see this weight gain whether or not they use HRT. I am not on HRT and have seen weight gain despite exercise and diet; it's damned depressing for someone who was 105 lbs to be fighting to get under 140.

Everyone differs in their response to HRT. The evidence suggests though that HRT in itself does not cause weight gain and I've personally known a couple of women who have lost weight after they went on HRT. A common side effect of HRT is some water retention or water weight gain but that is a small price to pay I guess for relief. There is more than one brand of HRT and the dose might have to be adjusted to get it right. Combination HRT (progesterone + estrogens) is more likely to cause water retention/slight weight gain than is estrogen-alone HRT. If you still have a uterus, you will be on combination HRT; the only time estrogen-only HRT can be used is if the woman has had a hysterectomy.

There are also benefits to HRT such as helping to preserve bone mass, relief from hot flashes, and preventing something really bad called vaginal atrophy which causes painful sex and a lot of discomfort/itching in a very inconvenient place.

Hope this helps and good luck with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:04 AM
 
8,015 posts, read 4,535,485 times
Reputation: 11942
Very informative; thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:10 AM
 
2,552 posts, read 904,948 times
Reputation: 6561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
No lectures
There are also benefits to HRT such as helping to preserve bone mass, relief from hot flashes, and preventing something really bad called vaginal atrophy which causes painful sex and a lot of discomfort/itching in a very inconvenient place.
A bit OT but I'm dealing with that last symptom with Premarin cream- also hormonal, very expensive, but a miracle. Fortunately, in my case that was the only really bothersome symptom.

I HAVE lost weight in menopause and kept it off but it's portion control, over an hour of cardio a day, an almost-vegetarian diet and cutting out refined sugar and starches (white bread, potatoes, pasta, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 07:37 AM
 
Location: So Ca
16,117 posts, read 15,319,893 times
Reputation: 14048
Another informative thread on this subject: HRT -- is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:14 AM
 
8,015 posts, read 4,535,485 times
Reputation: 11942
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A bit OT but I'm dealing with that last symptom with Premarin cream- also hormonal, very expensive, but a miracle. Fortunately, in my case that was the only really bothersome symptom.

I HAVE lost weight in menopause and kept it off but it's portion control, over an hour of cardio a day, an almost-vegetarian diet and cutting out refined sugar and starches (white bread, potatoes, pasta, etc.)
So...sounds like you're taking many steps to keep weight off. Did you have to before menopause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:08 PM
 
2,552 posts, read 904,948 times
Reputation: 6561
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So...sounds like you're taking many steps to keep weight off. Did you have to before menopause?
I wasn't as careful about portion control and exercised a little less but yes- I've always had pretty healthy habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top