Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 09:43 PM

82 posts, read 69,058 times

Advertisements

I have several tee shirts that have made in Vietnam labels. I am worried about agent orange contamination because these are 100% cotton shirts and during the Vietnam war the chemicals have oversprayed onto cotton fields and the products are still contaminated. How will I know if these shirts made in Vietnam are not contaminated with agent orange and other poisonous chemicals that were used in the Vietnam war?

Old 09-06-2019, 09:55 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Lol

Old 09-06-2019, 09:59 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
I have several tee shirts that have made in Vietnam labels. I am worried about agent orange contamination because these are 100% cotton shirts and during the Vietnam war the chemicals have oversprayed onto cotton fields and the products are still contaminated. How will I know if these shirts made in Vietnam are not contaminated with agent orange and other poisonous chemicals that were used in the Vietnam war?
Just throw em out.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Just throw em out.
They are brand name shirts like Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, etc. they are expensive

Old 09-06-2019, 10:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Well you got two choices either throw them out or wear them and stop worrying.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Under normal weather conditions in Vietnam, tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin would have been leeched or dissolved into harmless components somewhere around 1986, sooner if the field was a spray zone, a couple years longer if a handling base.

I would be more concern over the fields here in the USA where it was used and sprayed, often well past when the US military stopped using it. There are still fully detectable amount of Agent Orange in states where it's use or presence was kept from public knowledge. Agent Orange is still being found in containers all over the south-eastern part of the US.

The only long term issue related to Agent Orange that still exist on Vietnam is the long term birth defects and some issues of river outflow areas with the sediment. Most inland fields have long been rendered safe and seasonal monsoons over the last 30+ years has washed any lingering contaminate to ocean deltas.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Under normal weather conditions in Vietnam, tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin would have been leeched or dissolved into harmless components somewhere around 1986, sooner if the field was a spray zone, a couple years longer if a handling base.

I would be more concern over the fields here in the USA where it was used and sprayed, often well past when the US military stopped using it. There are still fully detectable amount of Agent Orange in states where it's use or presence was kept from public knowledge. Agent Orange is still being found in containers all over the south-eastern part of the US.

The only long term issue related to Agent Orange that still exist on Vietnam is the long term birth defects and some issues of river outflow areas with the sediment. Most inland fields have long been rendered safe and seasonal monsoons over the last 30+ years has washed any lingering contaminate to ocean deltas.
Which states of the USA has agent orange?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
All of them .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_...#United_States
Specifically =https://www.aspeninstitute.org/progr...united-states/

Old 09-06-2019, 11:14 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
We don't know all as records were often destroyed or it was being handled illegally. We do know that TVA used it extensively on their property, along their ROW's and along accesses. Both Alabama and Mississippi were repositories with as much as 25% being granted to local government for "weed control" along roads and rivers. W. Virginia had the largest manufacturing plant that wasn't finally forced to cleanup the neighborhood (until that time, the chemical magically stopped at the fence line) until around 2009. Of course there were many SF sites with Agent Orange after BRACC, some still being monitored due to an occasional finding.

Blue Grass in KY as well as Radford in VA will occasional get containers of Agent Orange from places they don't even know the origin. Often they are repacks due to the deteriorated state. Since they keep disposal regional, they have to come from nearby states. Again the problem is government is not required to disclose their findings or movement, only civilian entities must report to the EPA.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
We don't know all as records were often destroyed or it was being handled illegally. We do know that TVA used it extensively on their property, along their ROW's and along accesses. Both Alabama and Mississippi were repositories with as much as 25% being granted to local government for "weed control" along roads and rivers. W. Virginia had the largest manufacturing plant that wasn't finally forced to cleanup the neighborhood (until that time, the chemical magically stopped at the fence line) until around 2009. Of course there were many SF sites with Agent Orange after BRACC, some still being monitored due to an occasional finding.

Blue Grass in KY as well as Radford in VA will occasional get containers of Agent Orange from places they don't even know the origin. Often they are repacks due to the deteriorated state. Since they keep disposal regional, they have to come from nearby states. Again the problem is government is not required to disclose their findings or movement, only civilian entities must report to the EPA.
Should I have cause for concern about my T-shirts made in Vietnam being contaminated with residues of agent orange?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness