Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times

Advertisements

A (75 year old) friend of ours ended up with a blockage of his intestines. They had to remove part of it.

This morning, (two days after his surgery) I wrote his wife and asked how he was doing.

This was her answer in an email a few minutes ago...

"He is agitated, confused they had to call the Doc in at 4;30 this morning, He said it’s from the anesthetic, it happens with people over 70..It will be a rough time, lasts 72 hours in the system. They had to give him anti psychotic drug, and Debbie (their daughter) said he maybe slept 2 hours last night..."

Is this a common thing with people over 70? This is what his doctor told his wife. Are there ever lasting effects from anesthetic?

In other words, is there a chance that he may never be back to his old self? (a very smart, funny man who has always had his wits about him)

He's such a nice man and his wife is a lovely person. I hope it all ends well for them. Worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 09:22 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,181,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Is this a common thing with people over 70? This is what his doctor told his wife. Are there ever lasting effects from anesthetic?
Is it common? Don't know I would say that, but yes, geriatric patients are more sensitive to anesthetic agents, particularly post op delirium and cognitive interruptions, and there are increased risks to their use in the elderly population.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:31 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Is it common? Don't know I would say that, but yes, geriatric patients are more sensitive to anesthetic agents, particularly post op delirium and cognitive interruptions, and there are increased risks to their use in the elderly population.
Yes, it is common to have a greater difficulty recovering from anesthetics when you are elderly. But, the individual reactions vary. In some people it may just be for a few hours or a few days, in others a few weeks of problems and in a small percentage of elderly patients there may be a permanent decline in cognitive functioning (especially if they already had shown signs of dementia).

Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I know there is an increased potential of this happening with the elderly.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-04-2019, 05:11 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,521,271 times
It can also increase the likelyhood of Lewy Body Dementia.

Old 10-04-2019, 05:14 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,229,121 times
^^^^ This.

Seen it with my father after bypass surgery.

It's a crap shoot - and the odds are not good.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
It can also increase the likelyhood of Lewy Body Dementia.
Please cite your source for this.

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:23 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Have them check his Co2 count.

Usually that is a cause for the dilerium days after surgery.
Anything under 89% will create that effect.

I personally do not fair well from anesthesia , loopy for days. So it can happen.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:19 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,450 times
You never hear this but it is common.

In fact, for someone with the beginnings of dementia anesthesia can trigger a rapid downhill slide. No, there's no exact study you can point to, but it makes sense. When you put the brain (and other organs) technically "to sleep", if anything is already compromised you can understand how it could exacerbate regaining full function. This happened to my mother. Before knee surgery she was doing bookkeeping for a business, fully taking care of her physical needs, and was able to have normal conversations. After surgery she declined rapidly.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
I am a bit older than OP's friend. But I have little trouble with anesthesia. In fact I like coming out of Jackson juice. On one recent occasion they had to entubate me which I do not like but I pretty much slept through it. In that case I think the problem is they did one of these inspection from the esophagus and annoyed a lung which then got even by filling with fluid.

I shake off the anesthetic in a couple of hours and feel fine. I am actually pretty much awake before they can get me from the lab to a room.

Note also the response may vary depending on the anesthetic. So a good idea to keep track. Particularly if one gives you trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness