Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 10:05 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

This is a simple question. Please do not use this to start a thread debating vaccines.

Can getting a flu shot cause my hematocrit to increase?

I had the shot on Saturday afternoon. Today, Monday morning, I was told my hematocrit was 55 which is high. I've never been above 53 and that is on the high side for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 01:25 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
The only thing I know is dehydration can cause that number to be high.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is a simple question. Please do not use this to start a thread debating vaccines.

I had the shot on Saturday afternoon. Today, Monday morning, I was told my hematocrit was 55 which is high. I've never been above 53 and that is on the high side for me.
I don't know, but there is a margin of error in all those readings.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:

A hematocrit is a pretty crude test-- they take a tube of blood and let it sit , then measure the height of the settled blood. That value can vary from test to test without representing an actual change in your condition...Compare it to trying measuring your height with a yardstick that isn't marked off into inches-- you gotta estimate how many inches over 36 you are. Each time you do it, you may see it a little differently.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:

I have never heard of that before but my first question would be to ask if you were properly hydrated.

That is only a 3.7% difference.

That is even within allowable error differences between runs on the same specimen.

My hematocrit bounces all over the place between blood draws (anywhere from 36-42) I don't even pay attention because it's within normal range.

I would just wait and see what the next one is to see if it's actually going up or not.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A hematocrit is a pretty crude test-- they take a tube of blood and let it sit , then measure the height of the settled blood. That value can vary from test to test without representing an actual change in your condition...Compare it to trying measuring your height with a yardstick that isn't marked off into inches-- you gotta estimate how many inches over 36 you are. Each time you do it, you may see it a little differently.
They don't measure it that way anymore in most places. Most hematocrits are calculated on the instruments. It's the RBC x MCV/10.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
They don't measure it that way anymore in most places. Most hematocrits are calculated on the instruments. It's the RBC x MCV/10.
Exactly....they haven't measured hematocrit in tube in decades....I worked in a Hematology lab 40 years ago and even then hematocrits were calculated not measured....

Old 09-11-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Exactly....they haven't measured hematocrit in tube in decades....I worked in a Hematology lab 40 years ago and even then hematocrits were calculated not measured....

There are rare occasions that manual hematocrits are performed but usually it is due to some type of interference (something in the patient's specimen) on the analyzer. Very rare.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:43 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I have heard of this happening in an infant following the HepB vaccine, not the flu. The infant later passed away at age 6 months, within 36 hours of receiving the scheduled 6-month immunizations but the case is still under review & I can't get any more information at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness