Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 07:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,366,222 times

Advertisements

If he's that quick to jump to STDs, I think you should find another doctor. Some doctors will try to stigmatize their patients rather than try to find out what's actually wrong with them.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 PM

29 posts, read 14,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If he's that quick to jump to STDs, I think you should find another doctor. Some doctors will try to stigmatize their patients rather than try to find out what's actually wrong with them.
Well, from what I know, the spots in my glad can point to STDs...in my case there's no chance, though.

But like said, I've skipped the testicular ultrasound and will not be returning there.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:47 PM

17,515 posts, read 13,309,755 times
Those are normal questions from a urologist. My first, and present, urologists were/are female (smaller fingers)

Their questions were similar, NO BIGGIE!!!!!!!!

As for the ultrasound, you really need to get it. That is one was to find testicular cancer...Not a pleasant disease. The ultrasound (yes I've had one, benign tumor) is no big deal!

Old 09-18-2019, 07:49 PM

6,449 posts, read 3,961,424 times
Why is this embarrassing? It's a normal part of going to the doctor. They're going to ask you about things that might affect your health, and this was a very basic question. Aren't you glad you're not constantly asked if you're pregnant, and half the time not believed if you say no and have to take a test anyway? Aren't you glad you don't have to go to the gyno at least once a year (and that's when nothing is wrong, forget when you do and might have several people in a room scrutinizing and sticking fingers and medical devices into your private body orifices)? For that matter, imagine if you had a regular urinary or bowel disorder where you're constantly seeing doctors for your most private and embarrassing bodily functions, having them poking and prodding and testing your body and asking detailed questions.

When you have issues involving your genitals, doctors are going to ask about sex. When you go in for a regular physical, doctors are going to ask about sex. I suggest you get used to talking about it. If you ever become sexually active, they're going to ask even more about sex, and you're going to need to answer honestly and completely.

There is no "shame" in having something wrong with a part of your body, regardless of where that part of your body is located. I'm sorry if at some point in your life you were taught, or learned, or somehow got the idea, that sex and your body are shameful or embarrassing. You might talk with a therapist again, this time about your attitudes toward sex and body. It could literally be detrimental to your health if something is wrong and you're too stuck feeling "shame," to go to a doctor and/or talk honestly with them about it.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:53 PM

17,515 posts, read 13,309,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Why????????????????

Urologists are trained to see anything out of the normal and ask APPROPRIATE questions!

Old 09-18-2019, 07:54 PM

29 posts, read 14,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

When you have issues involving your genitals, doctors are going to ask about sex. When you go in for a regular physical, doctors are going to ask about sex.
It was my first at a doctor that was not a psychiatrist, I couldn't have known it was common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I suggest you get used to talking about it. If you ever become sexually active, they're going to ask even more about sex, and you're going to need to answer honestly and completely.
It's unlikely I'll become sexually active but just out of curiosity, why would a man have to talk about it with a doctor? Or go to a doctor at all?

Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,568,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJolt View Post
He said from the size and shape it was probably nothing but wanted me to do a testicular ultrasound. But I'm too embarrassed to go back there.

No need to be embarrassed. It is important for your health to follow up with the ultrasound. And if you are serious about overcoming your anxiety, it's a good way to start. Health professionals don't judge and we care for so many different people that nothing is a surprise anyway. Take a deep breath and get out of your comfort zone on this and know that no one else would be totally comfortable either so you're normal.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:14 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJolt View Post
Yes, he eventually forgot it but I'm sure I was the joke of the day there.

I had a follow up appointment today but didn't show out of fear of more embarrassing sex questions.
Don’t be silly- it is illegal to discuss anything about the patient with anyone and the doctors have no time to gossip about his patients, especially with his staff!

Call, apologize for a “ no show” and make another appointment!

Old 09-18-2019, 08:52 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,568,660 times
Believe me, the Dr only cares about the issue at hand, namely the lump. Please make another appointment and keep it. Don't be surprised if the Dr calls if you don't follow up because ignoring this could have dire consequences.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:09 PM

11,155 posts, read 7,946,272 times
Lol.. OP, count your lucky stars that you’re not a girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.