U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:41 PM

17,223 posts, read 4,543,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Generic is not the same as brand.

Fillers and inactive agents are different. You may have a problem with any of them.

Bioavailability (basically how much of the 'real' drug affects you) can be 80% to 125% of the brand name formula.

So you could be getting 20% less or 25% more. You don't know. Some people do fine on generic, some don't. It can be dangerous with psychotropic drugs.
This makes a couple assumptions.

First, the "80% to 125%" assumes that most people take a perfect drug (brand name) that supplies exactly 100% of what they need. Well, given that most drugs are made in 5 or 10mg "steps", this would be quite impossible! I might need 26mg of Codeine, but the pill is 30.

Secondly, it's not like "fillers" are some kind of fancy chemistry. Lactose, sugars and starches are not something that a place like India or China (or wherever) have a hard time with.

Many Pharma plants the world over are "turn key" and are built by German and other Pharma engineering and contracting companies and are owned in partnership or turned over to experts once completed. There is not a lot of room for making mistakes....consider that BILLIONS of people are taking these pills.

How many are dropping dead?

These is a BIG placebo effect when it comes to "brand name" drugs....so, of course, many people want the more expensive product. Pay more...get more, right?

Meanwhile, how many of us have generic CVS or Walgreens or Walmart OTC drugs in our homes? I'd say most of us....

Remember that many brand name drugs are also not made by the company that patented and named them. They are licensed to plants all over the world to make....and so is the brand name.

I'm not going to claim that every generic is the same...they might be better, they may be worse and they may be the same. But to think the original has some kind of magic (in most cases...these are simple compounds) seems uninformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 06:42 PM

9,920 posts, read 6,539,069 times
Quote:
Generic is not the same as brand.

Fillers and inactive agents are different. You may have a problem with any of them.

Bioavailability (basically how much of the 'real' drug affects you) can be 80% to 125% of the brand name formula.

So you could be getting 20% less or 25% more. You don't know. Some people do fine on generic, some don't. It can be dangerous with psychotropic drugs.

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Debunking a Common Pharmacy Myth: The 80-125% Bioequivalence Rule
https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contri...uivalence-rule

Generic Drugs Robert L. West Deputy Director Office of Generic Drugs
https://www.fda.gov/media/79217/download

Old 09-24-2019, 06:48 PM

6,775 posts, read 3,747,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Debunking a Common Pharmacy Myth: The 80-125% Bioequivalence Rule
https://www.pharmacytimes.com/contri...uivalence-rule

Generic Drugs Robert L. West Deputy Director Office of Generic Drugs
https://www.fda.gov/media/79217/download
The one difference not mentioned in the second link is delivery mechanism. Consider Concerta generic:

https://www.additudemag.com/generic-...created-equal/

Old 09-24-2019, 06:59 PM

8,126 posts, read 2,413,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This makes a couple assumptions.

First, the "80% to 125%" assumes that most people take a perfect drug (brand name) that supplies exactly 100% of what they need. Well, given that most drugs are made in 5 or 10mg "steps", this would be quite impossible! I might need 26mg of Codeine, but the pill is 30.

Secondly, it's not like "fillers" are some kind of fancy chemistry. Lactose, sugars and starches are not something that a place like India or China (or wherever) have a hard time with.

Many Pharma plants the world over are "turn key" and are built by German and other Pharma engineering and contracting companies and are owned in partnership or turned over to experts once completed. There is not a lot of room for making mistakes....consider that BILLIONS of people are taking these pills.

How many are dropping dead?

These is a BIG placebo effect when it comes to "brand name" drugs....so, of course, many people want the more expensive product. Pay more...get more, right?

Meanwhile, how many of us have generic CVS or Walgreens or Walmart OTC drugs in our homes? I'd say most of us....

Remember that many brand name drugs are also not made by the company that patented and named them. They are licensed to plants all over the world to make....and so is the brand name.

I'm not going to claim that every generic is the same...they might be better, they may be worse and they may be the same. But to think the original has some kind of magic (in most cases...these are simple compounds) seems uninformed.
You are making a tremendous load of assumptions and playing Henny Penny the sky is falling.

How about I make it reallllllllly siiiiiiiiiiimple?

Are generics an EXACT REPLICA of the brand name drug?
No.

Does that mean that they are more or less effective FOR YOU than the brand name drug?
Maybe.

Could you have a better or worse health experience depending on which generic is prescribed?
Maybe.

Good grief. They aren't EXACTY the same, folks. No need to have a coronary about it.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:50 PM

12,109 posts, read 20,679,560 times
My mom took Procardia. Generics didn’t work. She tried them all. Doctor wrote her prescriptions and ticked the box about no substitutions. Pharmacists argued about it, insurance company argued about it. They finally understood.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:23 AM

6,653 posts, read 3,109,560 times
Quote:
You are making a tremendous load of assumptions and playing Henny Penny the sky is falling.

How about I make it reallllllllly siiiiiiiiiiimple?

Are generics an EXACT REPLICA of the brand name drug?
No.

Does that mean that they are more or less effective FOR YOU than the brand name drug?
Maybe.

Could you have a better or worse health experience depending on which generic is prescribed?
Maybe.

Good grief. They aren't EXACTY the same, folks. No need to have a coronary about it.
Correct. Good grief that your post lacks further clarification. Blanket statements...the devil is in the detail.
There is on avg a 4% varience from the name brand formula. So riddle me this.. if a cake you bake has 4% less salt ...will you know the difference? Does your body react differently. NO.

The chemicals /formula is predominently equivalent.

Generic is cost saving for the patient. The name brand already made its billions during its patent hold time frame. That's all your still paying for .. their label.

Now you'll excuse me while I take a ibuprofen (generic) .

Old 09-26-2019, 08:55 AM

8,126 posts, read 2,413,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Correct. Good grief that your post lacks further clarification. Blanket statements...the devil is in the detail.
There is on avg a 4% varience from the name brand formula. So riddle me this.. if a cake you bake has 4% less salt ...will you know the difference? Does your body react differently. NO.

The chemicals /formula is predominently equivalent.

Generic is cost saving for the patient. The name brand already made its billions during its patent hold time frame. That's all your still paying for .. their label.

Now you'll excuse me while I take a ibuprofen (generic) .
Ask anyone who had a noticeable problem when switching between generics or switching between brand name and generic. They aren't exactly the same. They can use different ingredients.

To continue to pretend that they are the EXACT same substance with the EXACT same formula is dishonest. And it's disrespectful to people who have had issues when their prescriptions were changed.

Why the dog in this fight? What are you arguing against the truth?

And you're not a baker. A slight difference in salt with a slight difference in baking soda? HUGE difference in what comes out of the oven. Huge.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:11 AM

200 posts, read 76,072 times
https://www.goodrx.com/probenecid-colchicine

Colchine is an old med that has been used for gout. OP, has she tried this? You can get deep discounts on GoodRX.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:08 PM

392 posts, read 178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
https://www.goodrx.com/probenecid-colchicine

Colchine is an old med that has been used for gout. OP, has she tried this? You can get deep discounts on GoodRX.
That's probenecid-colchicine not plain colchicine. The combination product is not commonly used. Colchicine used to be cheap. It used to be generic only. Than something occurred, and it went brand only in 2010. It was related to its FDA status as an old unapproved drug. Now, it's generic again but the price is still high. Generally, colchicine is used for flairs and not regular therapy. The best alternative to Uloric is allopurinol.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:07 AM

200 posts, read 76,072 times
Interesting, Genesiss. I had pericarditis around my heart and they gave this to me to reduce inflammation for 5 months and I had discovered it was also used for gout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or