U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 06:57 AM

400 posts, read 181,021 times

Advertisements

Drugs can be used for many things. The classic use for colchicine is for gout. However, it can be used off label for pericarditis.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 07:52 AM

3,825 posts, read 2,558,800 times
No sign of the OP..

Old 09-27-2019, 08:14 AM

72,940 posts, read 85,030,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocards86 View Post
My mother has been Taking uloric for about 4 years now for her Gout. Her insurance stopped covering the name brand of the Drug and wants to switch her over to the Generic which was approved back in July.

Shes not comfortable taking the generic version as the name brand one has worked well and is nervous about it. Would there be a way to discuss this with her doctor and for them to discuss it with the insurance on keeping her on the name brand version for piece of mind? Or do you think the insurance is prob going to hold firm on the generic?

I know Generic drugs by law are required to work the same as the original but I have heard stories not all do. Even thought I have no problem with her taking it shes the one taking it so I'm trying to accommodate her in that respect.
If in doubt ask the doctor but I will say, most all meds my husband and I take are generic and have never had any problem. the difference cost for the patient or the insurance company can be huge. I don't blame the insurance company one bit.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:18 AM

72,940 posts, read 85,030,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocards86 View Post
Not to sound ignorant or anything with the drug being produced in India do they follow the same strict FDA standards they do here at home?

Meaning who inspects the factory for quality control? do regulators here in the U.S inspect the drugs to make sure they are formulated like uloric not harmful etc?

I've just seen too many reports lately on the news with tainted generics such as the blood pressure meds generic Zantac etc.
This has more to do with the requirements of our FDA, not theirs. Don't pay so much attention to what you have heard recently. There is never a guarantee how a med will work regardless of where it is manufactured.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:05 PM

17,384 posts, read 4,599,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You are making a tremendous load of assumptions and playing Henny Penny the sky is falling.

How about I make it reallllllllly siiiiiiiiiiimple?

Are generics an EXACT REPLICA of the brand name drug?
No.

Does that mean that they are more or less effective FOR YOU than the brand name drug?
Maybe.

Could you have a better or worse health experience depending on which generic is prescribed?
Maybe.

Good grief. They aren't EXACTY the same, folks. No need to have a coronary about it.
By the same token you could ask:

1. Is every batch - even from other plants under the same brand name and company, of drugs exactly the same???

ANSWER: NO.....

2. Is is possible that the Brand Name from the same maker - but a different batch or year - might affect you differently?

ANSWER: YES.......

A lot of this is truly witchcraft being as placebo sometimes has a result within a few percent of the real thing. That is a SUGAR PILL is within maybe 5% effective range as many anti-depressants.

Given that, the differences we "feel in our bones" are a moot point.

My wife is a very normal and sane person but if you fed her some wild mushrooms (safe) and then told her you gave her Magic Mushrooms she would freak out (in real time) and maybe need to have the EMTs called. Yet, chemically, that is impossible. I've actually seen it happen multiple times.......

That's my point. There is no doubt that if we think something is better...it often is. When Penn (of teller) fed Junk wine to wine snobs in the right setting they praised it to high heaven. When he had fake famous chefs serve virtual dogfood (or close) to people at high prices, they praised the chefs without end.

To think that this does not drive our everyday behavior is simplistic. Everything is always different as our bodies and minds are different every day.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:10 PM

8,268 posts, read 2,439,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
By the same token you could ask:

1. Is every batch - even from other plants under the same brand name and company, of drugs exactly the same???

ANSWER: NO.....

2. Is is possible that the Brand Name from the same maker - but a different batch or year - might affect you differently?

ANSWER: YES.......

A lot of this is truly witchcraft being as placebo sometimes has a result within a few percent of the real thing. That is a SUGAR PILL is within maybe 5% effective range as many anti-depressants.

Given that, the differences we "feel in our bones" are a moot point.

My wife is a very normal and sane person but if you fed her some wild mushrooms (safe) and then told her you gave her Magic Mushrooms she would freak out (in real time) and maybe need to have the EMTs called. Yet, chemically, that is impossible. I've actually seen it happen multiple times.......

That's my point. There is no doubt that if we think something is better...it often is. When Penn (of teller) fed Junk wine to wine snobs in the right setting they praised it to high heaven. When he had fake famous chefs serve virtual dogfood (or close) to people at high prices, they praised the chefs without end.

To think that this does not drive our everyday behavior is simplistic. Everything is always different as our bodies and minds are different every day.
It has nothing to do with being better or worse. Some generics may work better for some people. Some brand names may work better for others. Some generics may work better than other generics. And by that I mean that the drug has better efficacy and fewer or more tolerable side effects for any given person.

It has nothing to do with the placebo effect.

Generic and brand names are not the exact same product. To pretend that they are is untruthful.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:53 PM

5,118 posts, read 11,247,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It has nothing to do with being better or worse. Some generics may work better for some people. Some brand names may work better for others. Some generics may work better than other generics. And by that I mean that the drug has better efficacy and fewer or more tolerable side effects for any given person.

It has nothing to do with the placebo effect.

Generic and brand names are not the exact same product. To pretend that they are is untruthful.
Generic and name brand products are THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT. To pretend they aren't is to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the subject.

"While researchers will likely continue to look into the performance of generic versus brand-name drugs, the bulk of research out there shows that taking the no-name brand not only saves you money, but also provides you with a medication that is just as effective as the original."
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...ise-on-quality

Old 09-29-2019, 10:41 PM

9,939 posts, read 6,560,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Generic and name brand products are THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT. To pretend they aren't is to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the subject.

"While researchers will likely continue to look into the performance of generic versus brand-name drugs, the bulk of research out there shows that taking the no-name brand not only saves you money, but also provides you with a medication that is just as effective as the original."

Amen Doc, thanks for posting.

It amazes me how many people just don't get it

Old 09-29-2019, 11:37 PM

23,805 posts, read 28,964,904 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Amen Doc, thanks for posting.

It amazes me how many people just don't get it
It could be the nocebo effect:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5655643/

People tend to think more expensive is better.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:16 AM

6,833 posts, read 3,777,947 times
Quote:

The active ingredient is exactly the same. Which is why generic acetaminophen and brand name Tylenol work the same. It's not true that generics and brand name products are exactly the same product.

The fillers and exact delivery mechanism for sustained release medication might be different, which might mean the onset profile and duration differs a bit. But they'll likely differ even more between individual patients.

As I mentioned earlier, while the actual drug in Concerta is the same (methylphenidate), the brand name (and authorized generic - i.e. relabeled brand name) uses a patented osmotic delivery system while the generics use other sustained release mechanisms which may kick in the same or not. But if you measure the medication in blood plasma hours later the results are all supposed to be within the FDA acceptable range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or