U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 12:44 PM

57,772 posts, read 55,974,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm pretty sure Jack Daniels counteracts the bad stuff.
I've never understood why people would ruin Jack Daniels by mixing it with soda.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That's easy to say but many people are ignorant at the beginning at least, sometimes they stay ignorant.

Are there any warning labels on the bottles? I see none.
I really doubt that there is anyone in North America who doesn't know that drinking soda is not good for you. They drink it despite knowing that, and if they want to, why should anyone else care?

Old 09-25-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv_00 View Post
I know it's unhealthy but I can't help drinking it every day Plain water tastes so yucky to me, so do tea, coffee, juices and milk. How else do I quench my thirst?
Water tastes "yucky" to you? Might be the water supply in your area.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:39 PM

7,297 posts, read 4,027,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biezer View Post
Coke (and Pepsi, etc.) contains phosphoric acid, which is just one level below battery acid. The consumption of it leads to the decalcification of bones (and a lot more). By that, it doesn't help at all to choose the diet or zero version; it even worse the situation, for that one contains the sweetener aspartame which can cause blindness.
I have no problem with aspartame. I'm never giving up artificial sweeteners. All sweeteners of every kind present a problem. So choose your poison. We all have vices. Better to consume aspartame than beef, IMO.

As for carbonated cola drinks (not just Coca Cola and Pepsi), colas are acidic. But a certain amount of phosphoric acid is GOOD for health and helps with calcium and bones. Like so many things, it has a harmful effect if you consume too much of it. Everything in moderation.

Having said that, many beverages are acidic (colas, sodas, black coffee, juices), which can harm the enamel on you teeth, if you overindulge or don't rinse out your mouth & brush often enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 01:43 PM

3,819 posts, read 2,554,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
He also mentioned that in Coca-Cola's secret formula, there were some ingredients that have genuine stomach-soothing qualities that were not in other cola drinks.
I would call BS on this one. There is no secret ingredient, if there was it would not be a secret. I too, was told as a kid to drink Sprite, that it would help my stomach settle.

I later came to find out that it's the carbonation that sometimes does the trick.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I really doubt that there is anyone in North America who doesn't know that drinking soda is not good for you. They drink it despite knowing that, and if they want to, why should anyone else care?
You assume a lot, you must not get out much and just talk to random people.

News Flash: Many DON'T know.

Ignorance is rampant especially when it comes to diet. That can be seen by just looking around. See many thin and fit people? As I said, most food and drinks do not come with warning labels.

50+ years ago, no one had any idea that smoking was bad for you, did they?

Granted, lately things have been changing, it used to be fat, now it's sugar but it takes a LONG time for some people to get the memo.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:22 PM

198 posts, read 46,710 times
Quote:

50+ years ago, no one had any idea that smoking was bad for you, did they?
50+ years ago cigarettes were called coffin nails and cancer sticks. Yes, people knew that they were bad. They smoked them anyway. BTW, as I am typing this post I am taking a big gulp of my Diet Coke. I don't need a warning label to know that it is better to be drinking water that my soft drink but i am doing it anyway. Gee, if only my Coke had a warning label on it.

Sorry, but I get "triggered" by warning labels. (another sip of Coke) I feel better now.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
50+ years ago cigarettes were called coffin nails and cancer sticks. Yes, people knew that they were bad. They smoked them anyway. BTW, as I am typing this post I am taking a big gulp of my Diet Coke. I don't need a warning label to know that it is better to be drinking water that my soft drink but i am doing it anyway. Gee, if only my Coke had a warning label on it.

Sorry, but I get "triggered" by warning labels. (another sip of Coke) I feel better now.
There's exceptions to everything, at best, all people here can provide is anecdotal evidence. Does NOT speak for everyone as the previous poster implied.

Diet coke is crap and is nothing but chemicals. I did love the taste of real Coke, my body had other ideas though. I gave up all soda real or otherwise and sugar, I do like my sparkling water. Now, adult beverages is another story. And no, it's BS that all people knew they were bad. In the 50's, not that I'm that old, doctors actually promoted them or at least the cigarette companies made it seem that way.

When Cigarette Companies Used Doctors to Push Smoking
https://www.history.com/news/cigaret...ng-endorsement

Old 09-25-2019, 02:30 PM

21,840 posts, read 17,258,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not exactly news OP. No one is forcing anyone to drink it.
Might be news to some people. I donít think we should be judging what threads are useful and which are not unless you can speak for the entire forum.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:33 PM

21,840 posts, read 17,258,319 times
Quote:
I would call BS on this one. There is no secret ingredient, if there was it would not be a secret. I too, was told as a kid to drink Sprite, that it would help my stomach settle.

I later came to find out that it's the carbonation that sometimes does the trick.
There used to be a secret ingredient in Coke.....cocaine. In the late 1800ís when it was first developed, by a pharmacist, not a food company.

https://teens.drugabuse.gov/blog/pos...candalous-past
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or