Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 09:34 AM

1,159 posts, read 619,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biezer View Post
But all the fast food chains are always tempting all those
kids and in informed grown ups to drink those swills all the time; they should be labeled with health warnings.
That's the parents fault for giving their kids soda. I don't give my daughter soda! If she ever gets a happy meal, I order her an organic juice box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 10:03 AM

11,111 posts, read 9,750,713 times
I've been drinking Diet Pepsi daily for 40 years and I have better than average bone density for my age and gender according to my DEXA scans. I don't doubt that it's not that great for me, since it contains nothing my body needs other than water, but I've seen zero health issues because of it.

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Last edited by TheShadow; 09-25-2019 at 10:11 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 11:17 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The PH of Gastric acid is 1.5 to 3.5. The PH of Coke is 2.52 and the PH of Pepsi is 2.53. So both products are right in the middle of the range of Gastric acid. Both products are not made up of pure phosphoric acid which can range from a PH of 1.08 to 2.26.

My dentist loved the fact that I loved Pepsi; I think he took an early retirement! I was a Pepsi addict for about 50 years. I kept a 2 liter bottle next to me when I drove truck. I never went to sleep at home unless I had a large mug along side my bed. What actually made me stop about fifteen years ago was loose stools and diarrhea. I finally switched to tea; of course now I have kidney stones!): But I have not had the problems with the diarrhea that I once had. From time to time I still sneak in a Pepsi - just not the quantities I once enjoyed.
I was a Coca Cola addict for many many years, what made ME stop..., I was diagnosed a T2 Diabetic. I also kept a 2-liter bottle of it next me at work and at home. I don't doubt for one minute, that Coke was the culprit for my condition. The phosphoric acid may be bad for us but it doesn't hold a candle to the sugar. Drinking that amount of sugar all day every day has to eventually break something.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:18 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Good God people just don't drink it if you don't think you should. It's not rocket science.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:57 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Good God people just don't drink it if you don't think you should. It's not rocket science.
That's easy to say but many people are ignorant at the beginning at least, sometimes they stay ignorant.

Are there any warning labels on the bottles? I see none.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:59 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
That's easy to say but many people are ignorant at the beginning at least, sometimes they stay ignorant.

Are there any warning labels on the bottles? I see none.
Ok. I just poured myself a cold glass of Coke. I could have had 7Up but I decided to change up today.

I guess you've found out that trying to educate the great unwashed with your self-righteousness is a hard and thankless task.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:22 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,747,342 times
I don't believe the research shows that sodas are detrimental to bone health.

Certainly not a healthy drink though, with all of that sugar, especially for youngsters.

But yeah, if adults want to waste their money on that crap I certainly don't care.

Well, maybe a bit. The cans contribute to needless use of resources and add to our ridiculously large waste pool.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:25 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,256,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The amount of phosphoric acid in soda is minimal compared to that found in chicken or cheese.

Nearly all carbonated soft drinks contain carbonic acid, which is moderately useful for tasks such as removing stains and dissolving rust deposits (although plain soda water is much better for some of these purposes than Coca-Cola or other soft drinks, as it doesn’t leave a sticky sugar residue behind). Carbonic acid is relatively weak, however, and people have been drinking carbonated water for many years with no detrimental effects.

Coca-Cola does contain small amounts of citric acid and phosphoric acid; however, all the insinuations about the dangers these acids might pose to people who drink Coca-Cola ignore a simple concept familiar to any first-year chemistry student: concentration. Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than does orange juice, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail overnight. (Much of the item will dissolve eventually, but after a day or two you’ll still have most of the tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy T-bone.) By comparison, the gastric acid in your stomach’s digestive fluids is much stronger than any of the acids found in Coca-Cola.

Once, when I was having some stomach trouble, my doctor prescribed a medication in capsule form that he told me to take with 4 ounces, no more, no less, of Coca-Cola. No Pepsi, no Royal Crown, no Dr. Pepper, no root beer, COCA-COLA ONLY. I asked him if the ph of Coca-Cola wasn't a bit acidic to be putting in an irritated stomach, and he said that it was pretty close to the ph of gastric acids, and that the concentration was fairly low. He also mentioned that in Coca-Cola's secret formula, there were some ingredients that have genuine stomach-soothing qualities that were not in other cola drinks. I still like a small shot of Coca-Cola first thing after waking up to help settle a queasy stomach.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:33 PM

69 posts, read 83,648 times
I know it's unhealthy but I can't help drinking it every day Plain water tastes so yucky to me, so do tea, coffee, juices and milk. How else do I quench my thirst?

Old 09-25-2019, 12:42 PM

79 posts, read 50,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
That's the parents fault for giving their kids soda. I don't give my daughter soda! If she ever gets a happy meal, I order her an organic juice box.
But many parents don't accompany their kids. They're both working, just giving them money and say: "I love you"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness