Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 01:53 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,639,044 times

Advertisements

A friend was talking about this a couple weeks ago as she heard about it from someone who also deals with knee issues.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...native-fd.html

I have a hard time fathoming this as how will one bend after being cemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 03:16 PM

23,042 posts, read 18,416,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A friend was talking about this a couple weeks ago as she heard about it from someone who also deals with knee issues.

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...native-fd.html

Sounds like the material is injected into the existing bone of the femur head and the pelvic socket, not into the space between the bones. That would make no sense at all. Instead of replacing the damaged bone with something like titanium, a plastic, or ceramics, the material "fills in" and strengthens the existing damaged bony tissue and allows new healthy bone to grow in over time. It doesn't regrow cartilage. When that's gone, its gone. Sounds like what it would do is reduce the amount of irritated inflamed bone (that gets rubbed and abraded because the cartilage cushion is gone) with bone that is not. There is no artificial implant to wear out, just strengthened natural bone, and hopefully bone that is more resistant to ongoing irritation. What the article doesn't explain is how this new bone would stand up to use over time. The joint's cartilage cushion is still missing. None of that was replaced.

Hopefully you noticed that the procedure also involves cleaning up the joint itself...re-shaping the joint surfaces, trimming away bony spurs, removing remnants of damaged cartilage that can snag and pinch causing pain. As has been explained to you multiple times before, lack of cartilage does not make a joint stiff, inflammation, smaller bits of damaged cartilage that get pinched, bony spur formation, and not using the joint because you are afraid of pain does.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:18 PM

17,401 posts, read 13,177,815 times
https://wexnermedical.osu.edu/mediar...lasty-vasileff

Quote:
“We want to preserve the native hip whenever possible because once you have a hip replacement, there’s no going back,” said Dr. Kelton Vasileff, an orthopedic surgeon at Ohio State Wexner Medical Center. “We’re able to use a bone-hardening procedure that’s traditionally been used in knee surgery to help repair a patient’s own hip joint.”

During the procedure, a bone substitute material is injected into a small hole in the joint, filling any voids or lesions in the bone. Over the few years following surgery, a patient’s body replaces the bone-hardening material with their own healthy bone, leading to what Vasileff hopes are permanent repairs.

“In the past, a replacement would be the only long-term option for a lot of patients, but this procedure allows me to add support to the bone, making more damage-reversing surgeries possible,” said Vasileff, who specializes in hip preservation surgery.

Subchondroplasty May Delay Hip Replacement Surgery for Some

https://www.consultant360.com/conten...t-surgery-some

Subchondroplasty – Is It Right For You?

https://www.jeffreybergmd.com/subcho...right-for-you/

Old 09-07-2019, 03:24 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,639,044 times
BTW: I'm not posting this for me.. Just asking if others know of it. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:07 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,228,768 times
I've heard of vertebroplasty...where they inject a bone cement into fractured vertebrae.....sounds similar....

Old 09-09-2019, 03:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,959,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

It's a bone graft substance, not actually cement.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:25 PM

11,919 posts, read 6,513,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
It's a bone graft substance, not actually cement.
Don’t they get it from ground up bones— my back surgeon said it’s from cadaver bones.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:55 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,197,431 times
The AARP article is misleading and clearly written by someone that doesn't understand what subchondroplasty is...

What is ISN'T is an alternative to Hip Replacement Surgery.

What it IS is a treatment for bone marrow lesions and insufficiency fractures.

The bone substitute is injected into these bone marrow lesions....does nothing for the cartilage that is affected by arthritis and if a patient has arthritis pain from degenerated cartilage the procedure will do nothing for them.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:31 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,959,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Don’t they get it from ground up bones— my back surgeon said it’s from cadaver bones.
If they use Accufill, it is synthetic. "Accufill Injectable Calcium Phosphateis a synthetic, biocompatible bone graft substitute material that forms apoorly crystallinehydroxyapatiteat body temperature." http://subchondroplasty.com/docs/50-..._Creations.pdf

Some bone graft material is from cadavers, some is from cows, some is synthetic.

I was just saying that it's not actual cement, as the OP seemed to think.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:21 AM

8,719 posts, read 4,982,410 times
I know someone who had rooster comb injected in their knees. They had good results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness