U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2019, 05:38 PM
 
4,602 posts, read 1,856,990 times
Reputation: 9035

Advertisements

"High amounts of this junk on coffee beans."
essentially, coffee is imported. other countries, other rules.

there could be "high amounts" of good or bad things.
inspections and bribes are commonplace.
today's coffee is from Vietnam.
tomorrow's is from Columbia.
or, that is what it says
on the label.
who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2019, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
16,376 posts, read 12,680,258 times
Reputation: 17168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Oh, really? I haven't found any source to suggest that any nations have banned the organics used on coffee. Links, please? Organic coffee is grown with only organic fertilizers, like coffee pulp, chicken manure, or compost. Who bans those?

Conventional coffee is among the most heavily chemically treated foods in the world. It is steeped in synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides. Coffee beans like to grow in the shade, but that makes it more difficult and costly for the cheaper non-organic growers, so they clear cut areas, destroying the land.

In the case of organic coffee, there are no synthetic fertilizers or chemicals used in growing or production, which means cleaner beans, air, land, and water.
THANK YOU!! I did not know the facts by heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,455 posts, read 6,630,121 times
Reputation: 10135
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It's not a sham at all. But I'm fine with the thought that those who say they think it is a sham stuffing it into their bodies to season their food with Roundup instead of salt.

Munch away.
I see you are a zero sum game type. If you are not one way then you MUST be the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 09:21 PM
 
1,009 posts, read 279,870 times
Reputation: 2701
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
It’s not a sham at all But I'm fine with the thought that those who say they think it is a sham stuffing it into their bodies to season their food with Roundup instead of salt.

Munch away.
How could “organic” be a sham? No way,right?
You are aware, I presume, that our “national organic program” campaign is administered by a marketing department of USDA? and that “organic” is only have to be 70 % “organic” and even “the USDA organic” is only 95% “organic”
Marketing department- enough said. Not even mentioning that the USDA is totally in the pocket of big agricultural corporations and their lobbyists.

Good luck reading between the lines of allowed and prohibited items: you need to be an industry “insider” to understand the implications of some of the “allowed” substances in a food chain and human health.
( just stop iat your nearest agricultural supply store and check the shelves for the pesticide they administer without prescription to animals and then decide if the manure is acceptable to you, just for example)

Good luck trying to figure out if any new petitions from the industry were accepted and substances permitted

Good luck, or better hope and pray that manufactures in China, Chile, Vietnam, Thailand, etc, are following the US regulations. Who is there to check, inspect and investigate?

To say that that carrot is 70% or 95% organic - is similar to saying that a woman is 70% or perhaps 95% pregnant.
Is there such a thing? Or is it all .... what word am I looking for? A sham?

Hope, the list -below- of allowed synthetic substances in the food you eat and pay high prices will make you more humble..
Or just simply enjoy - quoting you- “stuffing them into your body”
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...se7.3.205_1601

Last edited by Nik4me; 10-07-2019 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 09:38 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
20,493 posts, read 19,478,053 times
Reputation: 35151
I don't worry about non organic coffee because I only drink a few cups a week. But I care about pesticides on the rest of my food. If you grow vegetables, you'll know what an organically grown vegetable is compared to one that gets sprayed and fertilized with chemicals. It's an entirely different method of growing things. It's the traditional way, the way our ancestors grew things and the kind of food they ate.

Some people don't care and they can't taste the chemicals. But some of us are more chemically sensitive and sometimes we can taste the chemicals in the food. Anyway, I ate enough DDT sprayed vegetables in my childhood that I don't need any more. They'd fly over in planes at night spraying DDT all over people's vegetable gardens, on our grass, everywhere. The air stunk to the high heaven the next morning and no one even knew it was a poison. (Just better make sure you didn't leave your cat or dog outside that night.)

I bet my tea isn't organic either. But I am not too concerned about the coffee, just the vegetables mostly. In a perfect world, I'd be concerned about the coffee but as it is, there are too many other battles to fight.
__________________
my posts as moderator will be in red. Moderator: Health&Wellness~Genealogy. The Rules--read here>>> TOS. If someone attacks you, do not reply. Hit REPORT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Outside US
1,537 posts, read 618,547 times
Reputation: 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I’ve recently been made aware of the use of High amounts of this junk on coffee beans.


Wondering if I should go organic?


Thought this would be better in health instead of food
Because of the pesticides and chemicals in coffee I've gone completely organic.

I drink an organic coffee from Belguim. It is instant (that's what I prefer).

It's also not more expensive (at least where I live).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 11:24 PM
 
Location: Outside US
1,537 posts, read 618,547 times
Reputation: 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Pesticides are used on organic coffee and other organic foods. Organic just means that the pesticides are natural and not synthetic. Natural pesticides can be just as toxic as synthetic pesticides, and the runoff just as damaging. Some countries have banned some of the natural pesticides for those reasons.
That's a bummer.

I guess I'm just going to have to take the risks.

I drink 3 cups per day.....I cannot and will not go off of coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 08:24 AM
 
15,446 posts, read 31,680,086 times
Reputation: 19005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
How could “organic” be a sham? No way,right?
You are aware, I presume, that our “national organic program” campaign is administered by a marketing department of USDA? and that “organic” is only have to be 70 % “organic” and even “the USDA organic” is only 95% “organic”
Marketing department- enough said. Not even mentioning that the USDA is totally in the pocket of big agricultural corporations and their lobbyists.

Good luck reading between the lines of allowed and prohibited items: you need to be an industry “insider” to understand the implications of some of the “allowed” substances in a food chain and human health.
( just stop iat your nearest agricultural supply store and check the shelves for the pesticide they administer without prescription to animals and then decide if the manure is acceptable to you, just for example)

Good luck trying to figure out if any new petitions from the industry were accepted and substances permitted

Good luck, or better hope and pray that manufactures in China, Chile, Vietnam, Thailand, etc, are following the US regulations. Who is there to check, inspect and investigate?

To say that that carrot is 70% or 95% organic - is similar to saying that a woman is 70% or perhaps 95% pregnant.
Is there such a thing? Or is it all .... what word am I looking for? A sham?

Hope, the list -below- of allowed synthetic substances in the food you eat and pay high prices will make you more humble..
Or just simply enjoy - quoting you- “stuffing them into your body”
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...se7.3.205_1601
Thank you ^^^ this is what I am talking about. As for coffee, I only drink one mug per morning, I sometimes buy "organic", it is cheaply available at ALDI, but as often as not I drink whatever. When I go out few places serve "organic" coffee (or food for that matter)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Early America
1,785 posts, read 870,660 times
Reputation: 3875
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Oh, really? I haven't found any source to suggest that any nations have banned the organics used on coffee. Links, please? Organic coffee is grown with only organic fertilizers, like coffee pulp, chicken manure, or compost. Who bans those?

Conventional coffee is among the most heavily chemically treated foods in the world. It is steeped in synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and insecticides. Coffee beans like to grow in the shade, but that makes it more difficult and costly for the cheaper non-organic growers, so they clear cut areas, destroying the land.

In the case of organic coffee, there are no synthetic fertilizers or chemicals used in growing or production, which means cleaner beans, air, land, and water.
The above has nothing to do with what I wrote.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
How could “organic” be a sham? No way,right?
You are aware, I presume, that our “national organic program” campaign is administered by a marketing department of USDA? and that “organic” is only have to be 70 % “organic” and even “the USDA organic” is only 95% “organic”
Marketing department- enough said. Not even mentioning that the USDA is totally in the pocket of big agricultural corporations and their lobbyists.

Good luck reading between the lines of allowed and prohibited items: you need to be an industry “insider” to understand the implications of some of the “allowed” substances in a food chain and human health.
( just stop iat your nearest agricultural supply store and check the shelves for the pesticide they administer without prescription to animals and then decide if the manure is acceptable to you, just for example)

Good luck trying to figure out if any new petitions from the industry were accepted and substances permitted

Good luck, or better hope and pray that manufactures in China, Chile, Vietnam, Thailand, etc, are following the US regulations. Who is there to check, inspect and investigate?

To say that that carrot is 70% or 95% organic - is similar to saying that a woman is 70% or perhaps 95% pregnant.
Is there such a thing? Or is it all .... what word am I looking for? A sham?

Hope, the list -below- of allowed synthetic substances in the food you eat and pay high prices will make you more humble..
Or just simply enjoy - quoting you- “stuffing them into your body”
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...se7.3.205_1601

Correct and, no, those countries are not required to follow the practices and regulations of domestic crops.

You are right that domestic organic crops are misleading too. The average consumer doesn't know or understand the compounds that are permitted on USDA certified organic crops or on foreign crops. They would be disgusted and wouldn't buy if they knew. The non-certified organic foods from small local growers are often better and cleaner, and certainly more nutritious. At least they are close enough for one to verify their practices.


Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't worry about non organic coffee because I only drink a few cups a week. But I care about pesticides on the rest of my food. If you grow vegetables, you'll know what an organically grown vegetable is compared to one that gets sprayed and fertilized with chemicals. It's an entirely different method of growing things. It's the traditional way, the way our ancestors grew things and the kind of food they ate.

Some people don't care and they can't taste the chemicals. But some of us are more chemically sensitive and sometimes we can taste the chemicals in the food. Anyway, I ate enough DDT sprayed vegetables in my childhood that I don't need any more. They'd fly over in planes at night spraying DDT all over people's vegetable gardens, on our grass, everywhere. The air stunk to the high heaven the next morning and no one even knew it was a poison. (Just better make sure you didn't leave your cat or dog outside that night.)

I bet my tea isn't organic either. But I am not too concerned about the coffee, just the vegetables mostly. In a perfect world, I'd be concerned about the coffee but as it is, there are too many other battles to fight.
I remember crops being dusted with DDT. Who could forget it. It's still used in Latin and South America and Asia, maybe others. Most people are consuming a lot more pesticides in their food since more of our foods, organic or not, are coming from third world countries now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Early America
1,785 posts, read 870,660 times
Reputation: 3875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Because of the pesticides and chemicals in coffee I've gone completely organic.

I drink an organic coffee from Belguim. It is instant (that's what I prefer).

It's also not more expensive (at least where I live).
In which third world country were the beans used in Belgium coffee grown? The term "organic" has more to do with how the beans were processed than how they were grown. There are many loopholes for using the "organic" label.

Coffee beans are one of the few things I consume that I can't grow myself. Don't have the right climate or elevation.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
That's a bummer.

I guess I'm just going to have to take the risks.

I drink 3 cups per day.....I cannot and will not go off of coffee.
I was a coffee fanatic, drinking it all day and into the night. I'm down to 1 cup a day but not because of pesticides. Decades of consuming too much caffeine caught up with me. Decaf has no flavor so I use a blend of chicory and coffee. Occasionally I'll drink 2 on a very cold day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top