U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 05:03 PM

950 posts, read 335,014 times

Advertisements

So my husband's doctor offered 3 possible treatments for the hip pain he is experiencing after more than a year from hip surgery. He had a pin (or more, not sure) placed in his hip and is not recovering well due to pain. One possibility is removal of the pin. He would still limp, according to dr., but would not have the pain. Is this true? Further, what happens if the pin(s) is removed?? I mean it sounds incredible. So I'm curious as to what happens to hip if pin(s) is removed...if he has no pain but would still limp, what good is the pin in the first place??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 05:30 PM

15,623 posts, read 8,942,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
So my husband's doctor offered 3 possible treatments for the hip pain he is experiencing after more than a year from hip surgery. He had a pin (or more, not sure) placed in his hip and is not recovering well due to pain. One possibility is removal of the pin. He would still limp, according to dr., but would not have the pain. Is this true? Further, what happens if the pin(s) is removed?? I mean it sounds incredible. So I'm curious as to what happens to hip if pin(s) is removed...if he has no pain but would still limp, what good is the pin in the first place??
"Hip pinning uses pins, screws, or plates to help hold broken bones together so they can heal correctly. Your thighbone (femur) meets with your pelvis at your hip joint. This joint is called a ball-and-socket joint."

I'm assuming the doc thinks the hip is healed enough that your husband doesn't need the pin any more. If it's not causing pain or damage they probably leave it in rather than do more surgery - but in his case it IS causing an issue so they'll take it out. I guess ask to be sure x-rays or whatever confirm that the bone is strong enough?

Old 10-06-2019, 05:34 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,299,124 times
The pin held the bone in place while it healed. After the bone has healed, the pin is no longer needed.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:24 PM

5,123 posts, read 11,255,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
The pin held the bone in place while it healed. After the bone has healed, the pin is no longer needed.
Exactly right...

Pin or pins are used to maintain alignment of a fracture while healing....once healed the hardware is superfluous.

If there are no problems associated with the hardware it is usually just left in place, not because the hardware is "doing anything" but just because there is no point in going through another surgery to remove it.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:29 PM

2,514 posts, read 6,491,930 times
My wife had 4 pins removed and they wanted to use cadever bone for filler in holes,I said no and after many,many years ,just fine.
My reason possibility of aids.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:42 PM

5,123 posts, read 11,255,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
My wife had 4 pins removed and they wanted to use cadever bone for filler in holes,I said no and after many,many years ,just fine.
It doesn't matter if it was fine for "many, many years" prior to the removal of the pins, once the pins were removed there was a bone defect. The defect will fill in over time but there is a risk of fracture during that time would be higher, apparently her surgeon felt she had other risks that may have even potentiated that further...

Your fear over possibility of AIDS from cadaver graft was also unreasonable....less than 1 in a million chance...

Old 10-06-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Hip pinning uses pins, screws, or plates to help hold broken bones together so they can heal correctly. Your thighbone (femur) meets with your pelvis at your hip joint. This joint is called a ball-and-socket joint."

I'm assuming the doc thinks the hip is healed enough that your husband doesn't need the pin any more. If it's not causing pain or damage they probably leave it in rather than do more surgery - but in his case it IS causing an issue so they'll take it out. I guess ask to be sure x-rays or whatever confirm that the bone is strong enough?
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I wonder why the doctor didn't tell my husband that the hip is healed enough to have pin removed.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Frankly I wouldn't mind cadaver bone for filler now, and I am glad that she is doing just fine. Lots of questions for me to ask doctor. I don't like the doctor that did operation, but I think we'll go to him first and see what he says. Thanks.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Exactly right...

Pin or pins are used to maintain alignment of a fracture while healing....once healed the hardware is superfluous.

If there are no problems associated with the hardware it is usually just left in place, not because the hardware is "doing anything" but just because there is no point in going through another surgery to remove it.
I'm glad you said that. I didn't know that the hardware is superfluous after the bone has healed. Makes sense, though. But the article I read said that the removal of the screws is complicated and needs a knowledgeable surgeon. The doc that operated on him is pretty famous around here, but -- I am wary because of his attitude and lack of communication. I think we'll see him first though about the efficacy of removing the screws and if the bone has healed, more or less. He still limps though.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:30 PM

8,044 posts, read 3,453,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I'm glad you said that. I didn't know that the hardware is superfluous after the bone has healed. Makes sense, though. But the article I read said that the removal of the screws is complicated and needs a knowledgeable surgeon. The doc that operated on him is pretty famous around here, but -- I am wary because of his attitude and lack of communication. I think we'll see him first though about the efficacy of removing the screws and if the bone has healed, more or less. He still limps though.
Attitude aside, he was the one who placed the pins initially, so probably knows the "geography" of your husband's hip best. I'd at least start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or