U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM
 
3 posts, read 87 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Psychiatrists are as legitimate as chiropractors, homeopaths, and African shamen. Being a real doctor mean having actual medical skills, which psychiatrists don’t. Their discipline is a modern pseudoscience, something that could only take hold and become widely accepted in an insane society. While other disciplines were advancing with genetics and biochemistry, in psychiatry, creepy academics and bureaucrats with deep ties to the FDA-regulated drug industry sat around on committees and voted the illnesses they would treat into existence. They made up fancy, sciency-sounding buzzwords like “chemical imbalance” to explain these phenomena, completely invisible and undetectable to anyone but themselves. They cherry-picked research that showed their methods “worked” (by arbitrary, subjective standards), pushed drugs that blatantly don’t work on millions of people, and to this day refuse to admit their mistakes.

 
Old Today, 03:48 AM
 
40 posts, read 15,296 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifb253 View Post
Psychiatrists are as legitimate as chiropractors, homeopaths, and African shamen. Being a real doctor mean having actual medical skills, which psychiatrists don’t. Their discipline is a modern pseudoscience, something that could only take hold and become widely accepted in an insane society. While other disciplines were advancing with genetics and biochemistry, in psychiatry, creepy academics and bureaucrats with deep ties to the FDA-regulated drug industry sat around on committees and voted the illnesses they would treat into existence. They made up fancy, sciency-sounding buzzwords like “chemical imbalance” to explain these phenomena, completely invisible and undetectable to anyone but themselves. They cherry-picked research that showed their methods “worked” (by arbitrary, subjective standards), pushed drugs that blatantly don’t work on millions of people, and to this day refuse to admit their mistakes.
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in mental health AFTER he becomes a regular doctor. He is a resident for 4 years. So, psychiatrists become doctors FIRST. That’s why they are called “doctor”. They have a medical degree.
 
Old Today, 07:06 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
10,010 posts, read 7,291,823 times
Reputation: 14971
Sounds like *someone* has a burr in his/her saddle as regards to psychiatrists. Or maybe one psychiatrist in particular.

Psychiatrists ARE medical doctors, specializing in diseases/ conditions of the mind.
 
Old Today, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
12,633 posts, read 4,358,429 times
Reputation: 7832
A clininal psychologist is generally not a medical doctor although they might hold a doctorate such as a Phd, however a psychiatrist has to be fully qualified medical doctor and has to pass medical school and then progress through further medical training in order to become a Consultant in Psychiatry (Mental Health).
 
Old Today, 08:34 AM
 
Location: OHIO
2,380 posts, read 1,145,612 times
Reputation: 5488
A psychiatrist is a doctor though
 
Old Today, 10:16 AM
 
8,235 posts, read 2,435,011 times
Reputation: 9686
Pyschiatrists are legally doctors, but they do not do any objective testing to reach a diagnosis.
 
Old Today, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,052 posts, read 3,428,523 times
Reputation: 7100
I'm going to assume the OP is speaking figuratively, not literally, at least, I hope so. That said, it's surprising to me how many people actually aren't clear on what practitioners are/are not physicians. And I usually use the term "physician" as opposed to "Medical Doctor" because DO's are physicians as well (and yes, I've encountered many people who don't know that).
 
Old Today, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Central IL
15,585 posts, read 8,918,645 times
Reputation: 36680
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Pyschiatrists are legally doctors, but they do not do any objective testing to reach a diagnosis.
...some would say that there's a lot of diagnosing going on in other subspecialties that's not completely objective...but we're digressing.

The question has been asked and answered....regardless of subtext. OP can ask another since I don't think he'll like these responses.
 
Old Today, 10:58 AM
 
4,413 posts, read 1,916,638 times
Reputation: 8959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Sounds like *someone* has a burr in his/her saddle as regards to psychiatrists. Or maybe one psychiatrist in particular.

Psychiatrists ARE medical doctors, specializing in diseases/ conditions of the mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Pyschiatrists are legally doctors, but they do not do any objective testing to reach a diagnosis.
Yes they do. Many will do laboratory tests to rule out other causes of possible symptoms such as an autoimmune disease, thyroid/hormone dysfunction, vitamin deficiency, etc. They have gone to medical school and learn about how certain conditions affect mental function. A psychologist is not qualified to order medical tests.
 
Old Today, 11:27 AM
 
8,235 posts, read 2,435,011 times
Reputation: 9686
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes they do. Many will do laboratory tests to rule out other causes of possible symptoms such as an autoimmune disease, thyroid/hormone dysfunction, vitamin deficiency, etc. They have gone to medical school and learn about how certain conditions affect mental function. A psychologist is not qualified to order medical tests.
Those are test to identify physical diseases. The tests are objective.

There is no such thing as an objective test for "chemical imbalance" which is the reason tossed around as to why so many people are on psych drugs for mental issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top