U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 03:33 PM

4,433 posts, read 1,928,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
It's still ragweed season in Florida. The tests are to figure out what is causing your symptoms, not to line the doctor's pockets. Giving tests that aren't warranted by symptoms is called malpractice and doctors can lose their licenses to practice if they're doing so.
Yes and sometimes people can have an allergy to dust and then react to someone having a cat. For example, my sister has problems when she visits her in laws due to the cat, but she is not allergic to the cat itself. She is allergic to the dust that it picks up, apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 04:00 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,184,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes and sometimes people can have an allergy to dust and then react to someone having a cat. For example, my sister has problems when she visits her in laws due to the cat, but she is not allergic to the cat itself. She is allergic to the dust that it picks up, apparently.

That's a good point. Most "asthma" isn't due to an activation of the immune system, but due to hyper-sensitivity of the nerve reflex that protects our airways from dust and such. Any change in temperature, humidity, particulate content or velocity of air flow on inspiration/expiration can set it off. Even smells sometimes will set you off. Changes in weather or house furnishings (mold or chemicals) can be factors.

When it starts as a kid, we call it asthma and just deal with it with inhalers and such. When it starts as an adult, we need to consider other problems like early heart failure, carcinoid syndrome and other unlikely diagnoses.

If it's just an occasional problem, an albuterol "rescue" inhaler is usually good enough and most convenient. If it's occurring more frequently, then inhaled steroids may be needed (gotta use them regularly; less effective when you skip doses). The long acting inhaler Serovent may be more convenient, but has the paradoxical problem that death rate from asthma goes up among users (!). Antihistamines can make things worse by drying out secretions and making them harder to bring up.

Pulmonary function tests put a number on what you're already telling the doctor and rarely add any info that will change treatment.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:54 PM

8,588 posts, read 5,291,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Most "asthma" isn't due to an activation of the immune system, but due to hyper-sensitivity of the nerve reflex that protects our airways from dust and such.

What about eosinophilic asthma?

Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 PM

489 posts, read 953,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiemohro View Post
To make it short: we got a new cat and I have cat allergies (no problems with previous cat). When we picked up the cat, I had a huge reaction to the other cats (nose and eyes...). We took her home and I had her clumping cat litter box next to my bed (stupid). I changed the litter now and moved the box.

A few days later my chest started feeling heavy. I sleep great, I can stick my nose into her fur with no problems (eyes or nose). During the day, my chest gets tighter and tighter. I work in an office. I went to doctor and they gave me rescue inhaler. Didnít bring anything. Now Symbicort and cortisone pills for 5 days. No improvement. I am scheduled for the breathing test and allergies next week.

What I donít understand. I am fine at night. I sleep like a baby, no cough or shortness. We get up and we walk for about an hour in the morning. I can even run! No problems. The longer I am up, the worse itís gets. Now I developed dry cough. This is now going on for about 2 weeks ;-(

Is this really allergies or asthma? Anyone has some ideas what I should do?

Thanks!
It's most likely GERD. GERD presents itself with almost identical symptoms as asthma.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 PM

9,959 posts, read 6,573,788 times
Quote:
Claritin didnít really bring anything. I also had to stop as I am not supposed to take any allergy medication before the allergy test. So just the inhalers and one more days steroids.

Will call doctor tomorrow as well.

BINGO! That's the smart move

Old 10-09-2019, 08:34 PM

4,433 posts, read 1,928,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What about eosinophilic asthma?
There is that, silent reflux, or an anxiety reaction. I know if I take albuterol or Sudafed too often, I tend to get symptoms of an anxiety attack like chest tightness and jitters. It is cumulative, so if I just do two puffs of albuterol, I am fine, but if I am taking several over the course of a few days, I can end up a total wreck. I only take Sudafed if I am desperate because it really messes me up. My insurance doesnít cover the levalbuterol inhaler, which has fewer side effects.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:46 PM

262 posts, read 417,848 times
I also would ask for a low dose ct scan/xray of my chest if I was the Op. There also may be some arterial blockage.

Last edited by glenninindy; 10-09-2019 at 08:57 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 07:30 AM

11,189 posts, read 5,240,887 times
Does your voice seem different? Any acid reflux lately?

Old 10-10-2019, 09:22 AM

4,227 posts, read 3,410,882 times
Quote:
Interesting. Depending on when the doctor will see me, I might get one. They basic ones are not super expansive.

I personally believe itís not asthma and not related to the cat, but of course the doctor wants to make some money in tests ...
Went through something roughly similar in 2014, year and a half after two new medium-haired (up from one short hair). Mine was night wheezing, in season (starting in October) and persisting through the spring, usually. I'm a healthy, if fat, man and otherwise never felt better. Annoying!

What I should have done was consider my environment more carefully and asked why it hadn't occurred before. "These things come on suddenly" said the allergist. I've always been a bit sniffly my whole life, with a mother who smoked back in the good old 1970s when there was no escaping it indoors. She just went into full denial mode, like most smokers, fat people, rummies, etc. Another story. I lived with it, but if the (whatever) ever gets a bit 'much' since, I get wheezy at night and can't sleep. Nothing like feeling like suffocating to wake you up about once an hour.

So: inhalers, steroids, all that crap. Cleared it all right up, but now I'm on a $300/month med for life. The nasal spray is cheap, fortunately, but call it $340/month then. Spring / summer rolls around, I weaned off that. Huh? Shouldn't it be year round?

Let's get to the bottom line: it finally dawned on me to change all my duct filters (put some on, actually), change my furnace filter, and have the house thoroughly cleaned by maid services for about half a day and $400. Air the place out, every window and fan open. Every surface I can find wiped and cleaned with green cleaners. Yeah, that really solved it. As in, permanently.

I put a high MERV value filter on my furnace, which is a real go-getter of a furnace (works like gangbusters, fortunately!) I have calendar events to change yearly, which will be sufficient it appears based on amount of crap they pick up. That, and refreshed vents, and airing the place out in the winter (my windows and insulation and etc. are so good, the air grows heavy with pariculates)....that's got it. Oh, one more thing: just a few months ago, in August, I had a vacuum truck in to suck out all my vents. They did them ALL, and every major part of the system, for $600 which was fine. He said, "Scale of 1-10, yours were a 5. Suggest you have this done oh, every three years or so!" I bet he's right. Dander, hair, and everything else goes down those vents and just blows with the wind.

Consider your entire environment first, be a little cleverer than me, please. Maybe: 1) Self cleaning of all sheets and sleeping room, yourself or with a service 2) thorough house clean, double shot now that winter is here (2x the time an effort and detail 3) furnace filter 4) vent filters 5) if ducts have never been sucked, well that too.

My $.02, live and learn.

Old Today, 01:52 PM

182 posts, read 35,734 times
Thanks to all of you!

In the meantime we took blood. All normal, no inflammation but allergies (my interpretation when i compare my values to the ranges given). I see the doctor next week to discuss results. High allergies with cats and dogs and grass and ragweed, and other stuff like mold, dust etc. My IgE is about 200, which is higher than the recommended 120 but doenst seem too bad either when I read other posts. I am currently on antibiotics so I will see if it helps.

All filters in the house are now a MERV 13. We even dusted the baseboards! And our carpet and couch has been treated with some spray that is killing cat dander. We mainly have tiles though.

Not sure how I Feel.... Still a little short on breath I think. Some post nasal drip now. Don’t think it’s gone yet. X ray tomorrow.

Last edited by Jackiemohro; Today at 02:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or