Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 04:33 PM

21 posts, read 16,314 times

Advertisements

My mother has been Taking uloric for about 4 years now for her Gout. Her insurance stopped covering the name brand of the Drug and wants to switch her over to the Generic which was approved back in July.

Shes not comfortable taking the generic version as the name brand one has worked well and is nervous about it. Would there be a way to discuss this with her doctor and for them to discuss it with the insurance on keeping her on the name brand version for piece of mind? Or do you think the insurance is prob going to hold firm on the generic?

I know Generic drugs by law are required to work the same as the original but I have heard stories not all do. Even thought I have no problem with her taking it shes the one taking it so I'm trying to accommodate her in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:42 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
The insurance company is going to hold firm on the generic and it might or might not be the same. She can only try it. Sometimes the company will come out with another version, like extended release or something and pretend it's new so they can milk the brand name a little more. She should talk to her doctor about it all and see what they recommend, depending on how it goes.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:56 PM

I guess I can understand the insurance companies position that if theirs a cheaper alternative to the name brand they would rather go for that one. Its just difficult for her to adjust because the uloric is pretty much the only drug that has worked for her for that issue.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:58 PM

The company that manufactures the generic is alembic pharmaceuticals based in India not sure how reputable they are have any of you been prescribed meds from that drug company?

Old 09-22-2019, 02:34 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
Just have her doctor write dispense as written on the script and they have to do the name brand. It could be a bit of any insurance battle and may cost more but is worth a shot. I recently switched to the new generic for lyrica and my doctor asked if it worked as well or if I wanted her to do a dispense as written on it. I

Old 09-22-2019, 04:39 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Just have her doctor write dispense as written on the script and they have to do the name brand. It could be a bit of any insurance battle and may cost more but is worth a shot. I recently switched to the new generic for lyrica and my doctor asked if it worked as well or if I wanted her to do a dispense as written on it. I
^ This

You can absolutely request the next prescription for Uloric be written Dispense as Written....its just a box to tick labeled DAW

Your mother will have to pay more for it than the generic but otherwise shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:54 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,073,191 times
I usually will try the generic first, as instructed...but then I just have the doctor write a Prior Authorization saying the brand is the only one that will work for me.
Never had a problem.

I prefer all my drugs to be brand, except for one.
Generics are def. not the same as brand, imo.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 617,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
^ This

You can absolutely request the next prescription for Uloric be written Dispense as Written....its just a box to tick labeled DAW

Your mother will have to pay more for it than the generic but otherwise shouldn't be an issue.
There is no guarantee the insurance will now cover the brand. It's not uncommon for coverage for brands to cease once a generic is available. If covered, many will require a PA and/or be placed in the highest tier.

I believe there are two generic manufacturers; Alembic and Mylan. Sun also has it approved but they will have to wait until January or so.

There have been some interesting studies studying the psychological effect of brand versus generic. In short, people think the more expensive something is, the better it is.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 PM

Not to sound ignorant or anything with the drug being produced in India do they follow the same strict FDA standards they do here at home?

Meaning who inspects the factory for quality control? do regulators here in the U.S inspect the drugs to make sure they are formulated like uloric not harmful etc?

I've just seen too many reports lately on the news with tainted generics such as the blood pressure meds generic Zantac etc.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:47 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post

There have been some interesting studies studying the psychological effect of brand versus generic. In short, people think the more expensive something is, the better it is.

Bingo!

Another thought on generic vs brand. When a brand product finally goes generic, the original manufacturer enters into an agreement with one or two generic manufacturers to buy existing stock. Many times the generics hit the market with the original markings on the tablets and capsules. Patients who say that the more expensive product "worked better" were actually taking the brand med, but the placebo effect played into their thought process.

Fifty years ago when I started to practice, it was the general feeling that generics were the devil's gift to mankind! As time moved on that opinion has drastically changed.

If a generic is available, I will always take the generic over the brand. I pick and chose which generic company I use. I won't take meds made in China. The same is true for my family.

Why pay more for the same thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness