U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2019, 07:33 AM

1,172 posts, read 695,671 times

Advertisements

I had my annual physical a few weeks ago. The only thing of note was that my doctor mentioned that I had a small umbilical hernia. He asked me if it bothered me, and it doesn't. He simply said to come in if it ever starts bothering me. He didn't mention anything about surgery, or potential risks of leaving the hernia untreated. I have been getting an annual physical for a few years now. I don't know if this hernia is new, or if it was just never noticed before.

I didn't think much of it until I decided to start googling it a couple of days ago. I made myself paranoid reading about what could happen if I don't have surgery to fix it. That said, I also don't want unnecessary surgery. The hernia had been asymptomatic, except after reading about it, I spent quite a lot of time prodding around my belly. Now my midsection has been sore for a couple of days. I'm hoping it is just from the prodding and that it will go away, and that it isn't possible I actually caused damage.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has had an umbilical hernia that they left untreated, for how long, and how it worked out. For reference, I'm an overweight male in my mid 30's, but in generally good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 07:35 AM

952 posts, read 342,653 times
They are pretty common and don't always cause issues. As they say, don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 AM

1,172 posts, read 695,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
They are pretty common and don't always cause issues. As they say, don't fix it if it ain't broke!
I just hope I didn't break it by poking around at it it too much!

Old Today, 05:03 AM

3,078 posts, read 1,181,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I just hope I didn't break it by poking around at it it too much!

It sounds like you need an explanation of what a hernia is: it's a tear in a muscular wall that allows an internal organ to protrude into the hole. It can be a full hole or a partial tear in the muscle.

The problem comes when the organ, usually we're talking about some intestine, protrudes in and gets stuck there (incarceration) and then whatever is flowing thru the intestine gets blocked (obstruction)-- like bending the garden hose to stop the water flow.

Small ones are no problem because not enough intestine can get into the hole to incarcerate, and very large ones can be left alone if there's other contra-indications to surgery because they're so large they won't incarcerate. It's the middle sized ones that need attention.

It sounds like you're making it raw by poking around, but you're not causing any damage. Weight lifting type activity that puts a strain on the abd. muscles can make it bigger. Weight lifters wear those wide belts to prevent herniation, not to protect the back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness