U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 07:29 PM

25,053 posts, read 9,005,905 times

Advertisements

Popping the drugs is the easy way out but not always the healthiest...as I said above I worked on my combo for sleep and I'm now getting 10 good hours dreamy sleep and I'm 81 and the sleep issue hit me after menopause or at my early 50's. I also take a couple other supplements as I read so much about the memory loss and so much at the Caregivers group. omg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 PM

13,829 posts, read 5,279,389 times
My cardiologist and I have been jointly working the issue for the last five years. He brought in the 10mg DR Melatonin. I added the CBD gummy. I do not have a prostate so I do not need to deal with prostate damage from Benadryl. I have no problem getting to sleep but wake up 5 to 7 hours later and cannot get back to sleep. I then use the Melatonin and CBD. If still awake in an hour I add a Benadryl. I take the Benadryl perhaps one night in five.

My cardiologist has more trouble than I. Though he finds it somewhat useful.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:58 PM

54 posts, read 8,869 times
I've been taking Benadryl nearly every night for well over 10 years, probably closer to 15 years, possibly even more. I have horrible allergies so it helps with that, also helps me sleep. Hopefully it won't give me dementia but if it does, well, it beats insomnia & sneezing constantly.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 PM

I use to take a 1/2mg Lorazepam some yrs ago and when I heard from a friend about the memory issues, I got off it pronto. Losing one's mind is a horrible way to leave. Ruby Hill I gave you info on allergies and maybe the sleep too.... There are so many ways to improve one's health issues than the damaging drugs.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:45 PM

11,246 posts, read 21,048,903 times
I take benadryl or hydroxyzine every night. I'm not taking it for sleep.

In my personal experience, taking benadryl at night doesn't affect memory, but taking it during the day affects my short term memory, if I have to take it several days in a row.

Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM

1,131 posts, read 405,454 times
I used to, but the negatives (listed upthread) far outweigh the positives for me. I take 75 mg Trazodone and 2.5 mg Meltonin now and generally sleep 8+ hours a night.

I do still keep Benadryl around for an extremely rare emergency situation.

Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM

16,691 posts, read 5,511,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I used to, but the negatives (listed upthread) far outweigh the positives for me. I take 75 mg Trazodone and 2.5 mg Meltonin now and generally sleep 8+ hours a night.

I do still keep Benadryl around for an extremely rare emergency situation.
Be careful with Trazodone. I was on it for about five years but had to stop when I developed neurological issues (muscle twitches and vertigo). If you ever do decide to stop taking it, do so gradually as the withdrawal symptoms can be unpleasant.

It needs to be pointed out that the Harvard study on anticholinergics that was cited earlier in this thread did not prove that Benadryl and the like cause dementia. The study only showed an association. Also, it was the long-term heavy users of these drugs who were more likely to develop dementia. So, while the study's conclusions are troubling, there's no need to panic just yet. Occasional use of a sleep aid may not pose as much risk.

I mostly use medical cannabis and melatonin for sleep, but on the nights when nothing seems to help I will pop half a Benadryl.

Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM

4,061 posts, read 3,434,515 times
Another thing about the anticholinergics, iirc, the memory issues with these drugs are primarily in the elderly population. I could be wrong about that, though. I think we had a thread on it a few months ago.

Also, for those of you taking Melatonin, do you find that its effect on you varies by dosage? I occasionally take melatonin 1 mg after a co-worker suggested it over 20 years ago, but I can only take the 1 mg (I get it at GNC). Once or twice, I ran out, and could only find the 3 mg and higher at the drugstore, and the 3 mg left me feeling edgy and anxious, almost nauseated. Quite the opposite of what you want in melatonin, LOL.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

15,061 posts, read 8,828,065 times
Why all the threads asking strangers on a forum for advice on how to treat insomnia? My advice: See a doctor. Insomnia, particularly long term insomnia, is a medical condition that shouldn't be trifled with.

Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why all the threads asking strangers on a forum for advice on how to treat insomnia? My advice: See a doctor. Insomnia, particularly long term insomnia, is a medical condition that shouldn't be trifled with.
Could be a lot of people have seen doctors and get NO SATISFACTION. I surely don't...so ask my friends and do my own research and own experiments for my quality sleep. I've put my info out there and who knows who has tried any of it. I still take 1/2mg Melatonin and Inositol and sometimes a Gaba and the most recent is Tryptophan and B6 that gets me back to sleep after bathroom calls in middle of night...and since I've added the HGH I'm using, I get a good 10 hrs of lovely sleep. And love love love what Calms Forte' which is homeopathic does for my sleep too.

Last edited by in_newengland; Yesterday at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or