U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 01:20 PM

1,847 posts, read 896,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
A plant based diet is by far the best way to eat. All the people talking about needing meat for protein have no idea how biochemistry works (full disclosure i have a PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry). All the meat we eat (like cows and chickens) eat plants. Thus, the protein we need can be obtained directly at the source (plants) versus eating the animals that had to eat the plants to give them protein. The biggest animals on the planet eat plants. We are meant to have a plant-based diet. Always have been. The 1950s in America and the advent of convenience changed everything.

Look at how much protein you get in a cup of edamame or in a cup of lentils. Will blow any meat out of the water. in terms of protein content.

Plus, any animal product (cheeses, milk, etc) still have the bad things in them that cause atherosclerosis, heart disease, diabetes, etc (like heme iron for example). These all act to increase the amount of inflammation in the body, thus leading to the problems described above. You can say that its not harming you, but the alarming rate of coronary heart disease and cancer say otherwise.

If all of America went to a completely plant-based diet for 5 years, you would see the levels of Coronary Heart Disease, Cancer of all types, heart attacks, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, etc, absolutely plummet. But no, we just keep eating meat and animal products and wondering why we keep getting fatter and sicker. Its all about the sh*t you keep putting in your body for decades on end. You eventually pay the ultimate price.

A plant based diet doesn't exclude animal products. Only the vegan diet does. Those who think animal foods are for protein only are the ones who don't understand nutrition, anatomy or biochemistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 04:27 PM

450 posts, read 238,455 times
Quote:
We are meant to have a plant-based diet. Always have been.
Then why the heck does meat taste and smell so darn good? I try to eat a wide variety of things and have lessened the amount of meat that I eat. However, it is, by far, the favorite thing on my plate.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:52 AM

73,457 posts, read 85,638,942 times
Quote:
A plant based diet is by far the best way to eat. All the people talking about needing meat for protein have no idea how biochemistry works (full disclosure i have a PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry). All the meat we eat (like cows and chickens) eat plants. Thus, the protein we need can be obtained directly at the source (plants) versus eating the animals that had to eat the plants to give them protein. The biggest animals on the planet eat plants. We are meant to have a plant-based diet. Always have been. The 1950s in America and the advent of convenience changed everything.

Look at how much protein you get in a cup of edamame or in a cup of lentils. Will blow any meat out of the water. in terms of protein content.

Plus, any animal product (cheeses, milk, etc) still have the bad things in them that cause atherosclerosis, heart disease, diabetes, etc (like heme iron for example). These all act to increase the amount of inflammation in the body, thus leading to the problems described above. You can say that its not harming you, but the alarming rate of coronary heart disease and cancer say otherwise.

If all of America went to a completely plant-based diet for 5 years, you would see the levels of Coronary Heart Disease, Cancer of all types, heart attacks, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, etc, absolutely plummet. But no, we just keep eating meat and animal products and wondering why we keep getting fatter and sicker. Its all about the sh*t you keep putting in your body for decades on end. You eventually pay the ultimate price.
this is exactly what I am talking about: the lecturing about how much better one diet is over the other. Tell this to my mom in law, who always ate what she wanted and when: she was raised on a farm and God finally called her to heaven when she was 97: dad was about the same: 93 and never paid much attention to what he ate. I could go on and on about others we know and have known who have lived into their 90s and not depended on any type of diet The most important thing is eating a well balanced diet, not a plant based, animal based or any other type of based Add to that some exercise and keeping busy with friends and family.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 AM

15,947 posts, read 9,146,380 times
Quote:

The vast majority of people don't eat for health (unless accidentally or incidentally) - they eat what they want to. Most people don't eat logically, they eat sensually and emotionally, whether you like it or not. Almost all the world's vegetarians eat that way for cultural reasons, perhaps for religious reasons.

Just because one diet is the healthiest (and I'm not convinced a vegan diet is that) doesn't mean other diets are not satisfactorily healthy and because they are more readily accepted by more people then a society's OVERALL health is better because of it. In the end, vegans don't care about their health - it is a moral decision and they merely use health benefits to pull in a few more converts.

Your arguments are somewhat valid but will convince few - and honey (sorry!) attracts more flies than vinegar.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM

1,847 posts, read 896,494 times
People are going to react with contempt or otherwise when vegans misrepresent and outright lie about something - like the world's healthiest populations, none of which are vegan. They lie about traditional plant based diets which happen to include plenty of fish, poultry, eggs, etc. And when they are hypocritical: They complain about the environmental impact of animal farming while conveniently ignoring the environmental impact of industrialized fruit and vegetable farming, even promoting more of it, and pollution from creating industrialized vegan foods and supplements in factories.

Vegans, why not just stick to your real convictions instead of misleading others about the healthfulness of your diet. Any diet that requires essential nutrient supplementation and includes industrialized foods is obviously not the healthiest. Veganism is not about health, it's an ideology. Just own it already.

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 11-22-2019 at 10:11 AM..

Old 11-22-2019, 08:10 PM

111 posts, read 20,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Anyone else return to meat and dairy also?"

yes, not me....my sister's best friend.
she stopped having her period
and her hair did not fall out
but it sure looked like it did.

she returned to a standard diet and recovered.
she gained 20 pounds and got her boobs back,
which were always her best "fashion accessory".
This says it all...Let's just leave off right here and end all of this bickering. I feel like ducking to avoid being struck by a stray plastic shoe or plastic purse...

Last edited by Withinpines; 11-22-2019 at 09:32 PM..

Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 PM

13,920 posts, read 9,358,290 times
I am eating almost a 60% plant based diet daily to get my essentials but there's no way I can get everything through plant based diet unless I spend 1/2 of my day eating like cows or rabbits. I do occasionally juice my raw veggies to make it easier to consume veggies without spending 1/2 hr chewing them. And having high fiber is over-rated. You don't really need that much fiber in your body. Now to get 50g of protein each day is very hard for a vegan but it is very easy to get with meats. Just 6 oz piece of chicken breast is enough.

To get 50g of protein with non-meat you have to consume atleast 6 cups of green peas. That's alot of peas in order to get 50g of protein. You'll end up with over 100g of carbs which is not good.

This is why lean meat like fish, chicken, and even beef are much better protein than plant based proteins like peas and beans where you have consume a lot and end up gaining weight because of the excess carbs and calories.

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

425 posts, read 372,927 times
A vegan diet won't be sustainable in the long run for the majority of people. Don't feel bad.

Old Today, 12:31 PM

719 posts, read 3,101,985 times
I think a lot of people are just confused and don't realize there is a huge difference between being vegan and eating a plant-based diet. You can still eat like pure sh*t in a vegan diet. Vegan doesn't necessarily mean healthy. However, eating a predominately plant-based diet ensures that you are eating well for the most part.

Old Today, 12:36 PM

719 posts, read 3,101,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
To get 50g of protein with non-meat you have to consume atleast 6 cups of green peas. That's alot of peas in order to get 50g of protein. You'll end up with over 100g of carbs which is not good.

This is why lean meat like fish, chicken, and even beef are much better protein than plant based proteins like peas and beans where you have consume a lot and end up gaining weight because of the excess carbs and calories.
Check this out:

https://health.usnews.com/health-new...ould-be-eating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or