U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:33 PM
Status: "Some people consider sarcasm to be witchcraft" (set 3 days ago)

2,012 posts, read 729,927 times

Advertisements

I did. Most days I don't eat meat, just when I feel my body crave it. I went back to eggs and cheese. The only dairy I have besides cheese, is when I buy coffee out. At home I use a blend of coconut cream and almond milk in my coffee. Oh! And yogurt.

I also do smoothies. I started this because I felt a decline in my muscle strength (even though I exercise) and pain and stiffness in my joints. Protein powder, collagen peptides, gelatin - all from grass feed cows. My joints, hair, nails and skin are all doing a lot better.

My blood type is also O, so if that's a real thing, maybe that explains it. I agree that there is no 'one size fits all' diet plan, and vegan didn't cut it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 10:27 PM

1,622 posts, read 740,347 times
Give up being vegan? Never. I have to have my biometrics done annually for my insurance and my numbers are all excellent. I am active and healthy without cruelty to animals. It is a great way to live. My blood type is O, but I really think that is irrelevant.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:40 PM

127 posts, read 28,172 times
When I looked at those vegetarian products, they are high in salt and fat, especially that new burger out The Impossible Burger.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:27 AM

1,374 posts, read 707,960 times
"This advertisement brought to you by the Meat Industry. Meat - It's What's for Dinner".

Seriously, dairy is literally poison and does a number on my sinuses, phlegm, etc. I still love a good imported cheese but I know going back to meat and dairy, even organic, would nearly kill me. I've been a long distance competitive runner and vegetarian for nearly 3 decades.

Whatever works for you.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:19 AM

15,826 posts, read 9,069,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
"This advertisement brought to you by the Meat Industry. Meat - It's What's for Dinner".

Seriously, dairy is literally poison and does a number on my sinuses, phlegm, etc. I still love a good imported cheese but I know going back to meat and dairy, even organic, would nearly kill me. I've been a long distance competitive runner and vegetarian for nearly 3 decades.

Whatever works for you.
Yes, meaning that dairy is NOT literally poison as billions of people imbibe it often and are not only still living, but thriving. Your experience differs...but dairy is NOT literally poison, even for you.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:49 AM

4,375 posts, read 2,970,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I never went vegan, but for five years I tried a strict vegetarian diet.
I just became sicker and sicker every year. Hair loss, no energy, and picked up every flu or cold virus near me.
Finally, my holistic doctor tested my blood and because I am O type, he said that comes from genetically strong historical meat eaters, and I needed to start eating meat and higher protein again.
Wow, how interesting. I'm also a type O and was vegetarian for 10 years. It just didn't work for me either and I've been eating meat again for the last 20 years and much healthier.

Someone mentioned soy - too much soy messed me up to the point I had to have surgery to stop abnormal female issues. Be careful.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:27 AM

1,494 posts, read 676,911 times
Have you thought about making transitioning to a vegetarian life first? You will be able to consume higher protein foods and calcium.

If you switch to eating meat, then it could have health problems. I’m just guessing, though. Maybe after you try a traditional vegetarian diet for a while, and assess whether your health is improving.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:38 PM

11,544 posts, read 8,799,423 times
Whatever's right for you, as long as you're healthy.

I do vegan in short (3wk) spurts. The efforts to prepare meals that will satisfy a meat eater are exhausting. I'm sure I could get used to it and it would become easier but it's very labor intensive.
I'm not a foodie. I can do whatever.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:37 PM

1,819 posts, read 883,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Anyone else return to meat and dairy also? My hair really thinned, skin dried out and wrinkled, mood changed, blood pressure rose, was sensitive to salty foods, had frequent low blood sugar, etc etc etc, eating vegan. My system was out of whack, mineral/vitamin levels thrown off. Probably protein deficient too. Takes great effort to ensure proper nutrition eating vegan. It was a healthy choice, esp for heart health. But now I just feel better after eating meat and dairy. I'm satiated, eat less, go longer in between meals, have lost weight and don't have cravings for unhealthy food, carbs, sugars. Inadequate protein, vit, minerals caused a starvation feeling and unhealthy cravings. I guess I just feel more normal now going back to meat and dairy.

I once knew a vegan who said, "The key to being a healthy vegan is knowing when to cheat."

Old 11-11-2019, 02:39 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,201,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Wow, how interesting. I'm also a type O and was vegetarian for 10 years. It just didn't work for me either and I've been eating meat again for the last 20 years and much healthier.

Someone mentioned soy - too much soy messed me up to the point I had to have surgery to stop abnormal female issues. Be careful.
I could have written this. I came back to a regular diet to a certain degree. I still don't eat red meat (and probably never will) but do eat eggs, fish, and poultry.

I also had female issues possibly related to too much soy. My surgeon advised me to cut out soy as much as possible due to the phytoestrogens in soy. A little added in prepared sauces, for example, isn't a big worry, but no soy-based foods, edamame, tofu, meat substitutes - that sort of thing.

If I'd been able to eat nuts or dairy . . . can't due to allergies . . . I might have continued on the vegetarian path. But there just wasn't any way to get enough protein in my diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or