U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 02:57 PM

2,166 posts, read 731,481 times

Advertisements

An acquaintance of ours was strict vegan and started having some weird health issues, skin problems of some kind I think. Her doc told her she needed to add red meat back into her diet, which she did and has been fine since. People’s physiologies apparently have enough variability that one size doesn’t fit all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 03:51 PM

4,458 posts, read 1,153,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I sure hope my grandgirl wakes up as she embraced veganism in her early years at college. I sent your words to her mother as we're both concerned about her. She's gained probably at least 20 lbs since she changed. I could never get my mind into vegan world. Thanks for your story.
If someone really did enjoy eating meats, they're going to latch on to the next best thing they liked. In some cases that would be carbs. In a revelation made by none other than my cynical grandmother, about an old classmate: "just because she's vegetarian doesn't mean she doesn't eat sweets and cakes all day!" Thanks, Gram.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:23 PM

1,622 posts, read 740,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I once knew a vegan who said, "The key to being a healthy vegan is knowing when to cheat."
True vegans do not intentionally "cheat." Veganism is about more than food. The idea of eating animals or wearing animal skins is abhorrent and the thought of the cruelty behind the dairy industry makes those products repellant to me. An awful lot of people on this thread are confusing veganism with a plant-based diet. The terms are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.

Old 11-11-2019, 04:25 PM

1,622 posts, read 740,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
If someone really did enjoy eating meats, they're going to latch on to the next best thing they liked. In some cases that would be carbs. In a revelation made by none other than my cynical grandmother, about an old classmate: "just because she's vegetarian doesn't mean she doesn't eat sweets and cakes all day!" Thanks, Gram.
Being a vegan or vegetarian does not automatically equate to eating a healthy diet. There is plenty of vegan junk food out there today.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:06 PM

56 posts, read 9,185 times
I did eat vegetarian as I phased back into meat. I needed the protein and minerals in meat. Soy was not kind to my monthly cycles. They're lighter and easier now that I no longer eat it. Dairy has the synergistic balance of vit/min that my vegan diet lacked. It was too much work trying to figure out how to ingest proper amounts from plants. Today I noticed my hair is finally starting to resemble the way it looked 2 years ago(thick, shiny). I thought I was aging fast eating vegan, I looked old! The animal fats in my diet have plumped my skin back up, thankfully. When I began eating cheese again, I'd notice when I'd shower, that my skin felt oily/moisturized. I'd taken for granted animal fats keep my skin hydrated. As a vegan, nothing dietary kept my skin moisturized like ingesting animal fat does. Sorry, I know it's gross and unethical. BUT I do eat grass fed, free range, and my husband is a hunter. Eating an elk or deer that lived a happy life is healthier than eating a feed lot animal, pumped full of poison and stressed it's entire life. No one should support the feedlot industry.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:30 PM

56 posts, read 9,185 times
To add to that, there are great documentaries on Netflix that show what the feedlot industry is doing to our planet. And of course, Monsanto/Bayer.....

Old 11-12-2019, 03:06 AM

7,455 posts, read 4,108,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Anyone else return to meat and dairy also? My hair really thinned, skin dried out and wrinkled, mood changed, blood pressure rose, was sensitive to salty foods, had frequent low blood sugar, etc etc etc, eating vegan. My system was out of whack, mineral/vitamin levels thrown off. Probably protein deficient too. Takes great effort to ensure proper nutrition eating vegan. It was a healthy choice, esp for heart health. But now I just feel better after eating meat and dairy. I'm satiated, eat less, go longer in between meals, have lost weight and don't have cravings for unhealthy food, carbs, sugars. Inadequate protein, vit, minerals caused a starvation feeling and unhealthy cravings. I guess I just feel more normal now going back to meat and dairy.
I'm a semi-vegetarian. That works for me. I'm 65 and healthy as a horse. Healthier than 30 years ago, not counting my slowly progressing arthritis. I don't eat any meats other than poultry and fish. I eat dairy, too.

Depends on why you became a vegan. I gave up certain things for ethical reasons, so I won't go back to eating those. Besides, I'm healthier w/o them.

There are a lot of people who are vegan, and they are very healthy. So it depends on what you eat. You should not be short of any vitamins/minerals, since that primarily comes from vegetables & fruits. But I wondered if vegans were able to get enough protein. Were you eating tofu or something? Beans w/grains a lot?

You have to take vitamins/supplements to some degree. It's impossible for most people to get the necessary vitamins/minerals & antioxidants from food alone.

I wonder if you didn't read a lot on nutrition, on how to get complete proteins while eating vegan, and just thought you'd give up this and that, without working out a plan to get the nutrients you need?

Anyway, I can recommend what I do, which is semi-vegetarian. It's made me healthier than anyone in my age range that I know. And, well, as healthy as any 30yr old.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:17 AM

4,061 posts, read 3,332,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I once knew a vegan who said, "The key to being a healthy vegan is knowing when to cheat."
For the record, that was not a vegan who said that.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:45 AM

20,483 posts, read 38,395,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes, meaning that dairy is NOT literally poison as billions of people imbibe it often and are not only still living, but thriving. Your experience differs...but dairy is NOT literally poison, even for you.

This right here. Short of an actual allergy, dairy is fine for human beings. I don't particularly care for milk or cheese, though I'm learning due to a Vitamin D deficiency, but it's definitely not poison.

Funny how some people insist that what works for them is what everyone should do. Nothing could be further from the truth, however comforting it might be to think so.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:54 AM

5,503 posts, read 6,664,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This right here. Short of an actual allergy, dairy is fine for human beings. I don't particularly care for milk or cheese, though I'm learning due to a Vitamin D deficiency, but it's definitely not poison.

Funny how some people insist that what works for them is what everyone should do. Nothing could be further from the truth, however comforting it might be to think so.
Bravo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or