Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 08:56 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
True vegans do not intentionally "cheat." Veganism is about more than food. The idea of eating animals or wearing animal skins is abhorrent and the thought of the cruelty behind the dairy industry makes those products repellant to me.
It's not for me to judge.

Quote:
An awful lot of people on this thread are confusing veganism with a plant-based diet. The terms are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.
Agree. They are NOT the same. A plant based diet does not forego all animal products, nor have any plant based populations done so throughout human history. The traditional Mediterranean diet is one example of a plant based diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 08:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
To add to that, there are great documentaries on Netflix that show what the feedlot industry is doing to our planet. And of course, Monsanto/Bayer.....

You do realize that Netflix is not a reliable primary source but an entertainment venue, don't you?

Or do you believe that the creatures in the cantina scene in the original Star Wars actually exist, as well?

I live surrounded by the pastures of one of the two largest cattle handling operations of its kind in the country. (Big enough that at one time, and possibly still, they had a contract with McDonald's to provide beef for them.) I see every single day how those cattle are raised - in fact, one of their pastures adjoins my drive and others are on two sides of our little ranch. I stop and talk to the steers whenever I drive or walk down the driveway. In other words, I KNOW how they are kept.

Let's just say that I should live so well, comparatively. And if I notice that one has a runny nose when I'm talking to them, I make a phone call and within minutes someone is there taking care of him.

So I'm stuck with a choice - believe the propaganda, or believe what's right in front of my own eyes. Gee, wonder which one I'd choose?

Which is not to say that there are not bad apples in the beef industry, just like there are bad apples among vegans - all arenas of human endeavor have them. But to insist that they are the majority due to some propaganda films and/or ideology? Not hardly.

I could also get into my spiritual reasons for eating meat, as well, involving the arrogance of patting oneself on the back for stepping out of one's place in the Great Circle of life and thinking that makes one somehow superior not only to one's fellow humans but to the rest of creation itself including those animals one claims to love.

But this is far astray from the purpose of this thread. Basically, people should eat what their own body, not someone else's, tells them keeps them healthy, and not practice a diet that does otherwise. It really is that simple.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:06 AM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
An awful lot of people on this thread are confusing veganism with a plant-based diet. The terms are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing.
I agree 100%!
Any "diet" good or bad, can be sabotaged through the consumption of processed foods. Processed foods are readily available to the masses, made for convenience and PROFIT! If you think those meals that you zap in the microwave for 2 minutes to feed your family are as healthy as the meals your mother or grandmother made you from real ingredients, you have been brainwashed. If you cannot pronounce the long list of ingredients on any package....you probably should not consume it.
Corporate food has probably done more harm to this country than war!
So if you think trading in that Big Mac for an Impossible Whopper will make you healthier, it won't. It will only make the wallets of the investors of Impossible Foods healthier.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This right here. Short of an actual allergy, dairy is fine for human beings. I don't particularly care for milk or cheese, though I'm learning due to a Vitamin D deficiency, but it's definitely not poison.
Vitamin D doesn't occur naturally in milk. It's added to it. Adding Vitamin D to a food doesn't make it a healthy choice for everyone. The percentage of dairy allergy is low, but WHO and other health organizatons estimate that 70-75% of the world's population is lactose intolerant which leads to all sorts of health issues.

Quote:
Funny how some people insist that what works for them is what everyone should do. Nothing could be further from the truth, however comforting it might be to think so.
I agree ... like the comforting notion some have that dairy is fine for everyone.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
the feedlot industry
And factory farms with chickens and pigs. The animals raised that way and on unnatural diets are not healthy therefore unhealthy to eat.

I support those who raise animals in their natural environments and on their natural diets.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:19 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,560,898 times
Quote:

I live surrounded by the pastures of one of the two largest cattle handling operations of its kind in the country. (Big enough that at one time, and possibly still, they had a contract with McDonald's to provide beef for them.) I see every single day how those cattle are raised - in fact, one of their pastures adjoins my drive and others are on two sides of our little ranch. I stop and talk to the steers whenever I drive or walk down the driveway. In other words, I KNOW how they are kept.

Let's just say that I should live so well, comparatively. And if I notice that one has a runny nose when I'm talking to them, I make a phone call and within minutes someone is there taking care of him.

This is, well,,, B()LLSH!T !!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2019, 09:33 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Hill View Post
Years ago I went vegan for a couple years, but ended up feeling very tired & eventually went back to being a vegetarian.

Nearly 5 years ago I returned to veganism for ethical reasons. This time I'm much more careful to eat a variety of healthy foods & take vitamin & mineral supplements that are specifically for vegans.

All I can say is, I'm a woman in my late 50s who weighs 110 lbs., has never had cancer, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, or any other serious illness, & has loads of energy. Some of that may be genes, but I attribute a lot of it to my diet.

It gets easier every year to be a vegan, so many new vegan alternatives keep being introduced. Also, I've seen so many videos & photos & first hand accounts of the treatment of animals in the food industry, I don't feel the slightest temptation to go back.
I wonder if the people who experience health issues with eating vegan, just do not pay enough attention to what they eat to get all the nutritions they need or if some people are just not meant to be vegan.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:58 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I wonder if the people who experience health issues with eating vegan, just do not pay enough attention to what they eat to get all the nutritions they need or if some people are just not meant to be vegan.
In order to be a healthy vegan you have to take a b12 supplement and it has to be a slow release, taken sublingually. B12 comes from animal proteins. There is no way to get it through plants. A b12 deficiency is cause for alarm.

"Are you at risk of vitamin B12 deficiency?

There are many causes for vitamin B12 deficiency. Surprisingly, two of them are practices often undertaken to improve health: a vegetarian diet and weight-loss surgery.

Plants don’t make vitamin B12. The only foods that deliver it are meat, eggs, poultry, dairy products, and other foods from animals. Strict vegetarians and vegans are at high risk for developing a B12 deficiency if they don’t eat grains that have been fortified with the vitamin or take a vitamin supplement. People who have weight-loss surgery are also more likely to be low in vitamin B12 because the operation interferes with the body’s ability to extract vitamin B12 from food."

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...l-201301105780

Symptoms of Vitamin B12 Deficiency

If you have vitamin B12 deficiency, you could become anemic. A mild deficiency may cause no symptoms. But if untreated, it may lead to symptoms such as:

Weakness, tiredness, or lightheadedness
Heart palpitations and shortness of breath
Pale skin
A smooth tongue
Constipation, diarrhea, loss of appetite, or gas
Nerve problems like numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, and problems walking
Vision loss
Mental problems like depression, memory loss, or behavioral changes

https://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-b...ptoms-causes#2

Old 11-12-2019, 10:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You would think that since true vegans, the ones that do it for ethics and don't do it for health simply don't care that much about their own health. You would have to be extra vigilant in getting the proper nutrition. Many (most) simply are not from what I can see. Sure, they may want to avoid fats but that is ignorant, our bodies need them. They are in fact essential. This is just an example. It is possible to get proper nutrition from a strict vegan diet but it so much easier to add protein/fat sources like eggs and fish and be done with it. Not vegan but at what cost is the alternative?

Old 11-12-2019, 10:05 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
You do realize that Netflix is not a reliable primary source but an entertainment venue, don't you?
Huh? You do realize that Netflix shows documentaries based on facts and not just opinions?

So you write off the entire platform because they provide entertainment?

I guess the same would apply to all TV, every channel and network?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness