U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 12:28 PM

1,622 posts, read 741,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You would think that since true vegans, the ones that do it for ethics and don't do it for health simply don't care that much about their own health. You would have to be extra vigilant in getting the proper nutrition. Many (most) simply are not from what I can see. Sure, they may want to avoid fats but that is ignorant, our bodies need them. They are in fact essential. This is just an example. It is possible to get proper nutrition from a strict vegan diet but it so much easier to add protein/fat sources like eggs and fish and be done with it. Not vegan but at what cost is the alternative?
Avoiding fats has nothing to do with veganism. You do realize that healthy fats can be found in olives, avocados, nuts, chia seeds, etc., don't you? Some plant-based diets call for avoiding ADDED fats, such as extracted oils, and recommend eating the whole food to obtain fats (such as eating olives instead of using olive oil). Many "true vegans" also pay a lot of attention to avoiding processed and unhealthy foods. It just isn't inherent in the definition of vegan. Yeah, it is not always "easy" to be vegan, but few worthwhile things in life are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM

[quote=TexasHorseLady;56618936]You do realize that Netflix is not a reliable primary source but an entertainment venue, don't you?

Are you kidding me with this comment? Where do you watch your documentaries? Or do you watch any? Many of the documentaries shown on Netflix are the same ones shown in libraries, screened in theaters and viewed at conferences. What matters is who made the documentary, how it was funded and if its information is consistent with other sources. The fact that it was shown on Netflix or HBO or Amazon Prime, etc. has zero to do with its legitimacy or lack thereof. I recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Life in the Doghouse about a dog rescue organization. I adopted one of my dogs from that rescue the year before they made the documentary and I can verify that it is a true representation of that organization. ....but I guess you think because it was on Netflix it must be pumped up "entertainment?"

Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 PM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Avoiding fats has nothing to do with veganism. You do realize that healthy fats can be found in olives, avocados, nuts, chia seeds, etc., don't you? Some plant-based diets call for avoiding ADDED fats, such as extracted oils, and recommend eating the whole food to obtain fats (such as eating olives instead of using olive oil). Many "true vegans" also pay a lot of attention to avoiding processed and unhealthy foods. It just isn't inherent in the definition of vegan. Yeah, it is not always "easy" to be vegan, but few worthwhile things in life are.
I know all of this. I have seen some in the vegan forum mention that they shun fats of any kind as if that was a bad thing, yet they still have high cholesterol. There is no correlation which is what I tell them but they never listen.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:29 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
9,021 posts, read 5,422,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I never went vegan, but for five years I tried a strict vegetarian diet.
I just became sicker and sicker every year. Hair loss, no energy, and picked up every flu or cold virus near me.
Finally, my holistic doctor tested my blood and because I am O type, he said that comes from genetically strong historical meat eaters, and I needed to start eating meat and higher protein again.

Saw immediate improvement in my health. I eat hormone free and organic free range or grass fed meat and do best on a more paleo type diet with limited grains and carbs. But my husband with different blood type THRIVED on the vegetarian diet and still eats less meat than I do to keep healthy.
So interesting how our genes and blood type can dictate what diets work best for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
^ I'm an O blood type as well. I could never give up cheese, and I have zero desire to eat a vegan. But thank you for reinforcing that it is not for me!
Which is odd because my husband and I are both type O; he eats animal products (although he has cut down a lot over the past few years) but I've been happily and healthily veg'n for over 30 years.

Regarding deficiencies: synthetic supplements don't always work for everyone, so food-based sources should be prioritized. Shiitake mushrooms are rich in b12 (if you don't like mushrooms that much, dried shiitake can be ground into powder and mixed into other foods), and nori sheets (the kind used to roll sushi) are rich in b12 and iron.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:34 PM

9,770 posts, read 8,714,359 times
I'm a long term vegetarian who went vegan and I've had the opposite.

I've lost weight, hair is growing, sleep better.

I also eat a ton of veggies and beans.

Tom Brady is a raw vegan.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:13 AM

74 posts, read 9,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do realize that Netflix is not a reliable primary source but an entertainment venue, don't you?

Or do you believe that the creatures in the cantina scene in the original Star Wars actually exist, as well?

I live surrounded by the pastures of one of the two largest cattle handling operations of its kind in the country. (Big enough that at one time, and possibly still, they had a contract with McDonald's to provide beef for them.) I see every single day how those cattle are raised - in fact, one of their pastures adjoins my drive and others are on two sides of our little ranch. I stop and talk to the steers whenever I drive or walk down the driveway. In other words, I KNOW how they are kept.

Let's just say that I should live so well, comparatively. And if I notice that one has a runny nose when I'm talking to them, I make a phone call and within minutes someone is there taking care of him.

So I'm stuck with a choice - believe the propaganda, or believe what's right in front of my own eyes. Gee, wonder which one I'd choose?

Which is not to say that there are not bad apples in the beef industry, just like there are bad apples among vegans - all arenas of human endeavor have them.

I could also get into my spiritual reasons for eating meat, as well, involving the arrogance of patting oneself on the back for stepping out of one's place in the Great Circle of life and thinking that makes one somehow superior not only to one's fellow humans but to the rest of creation itself including those animals one claims to love.

But this is far astray from the purpose of this thread. Basically, people should eat what their own body, not someone else's, tells them keeps them healthy, and not practice a diet that does otherwise. It really is that simple.
I didn't say Netflix is my news source. Why am I getting a contempt type vibe off of you?
Creatures in the Star Wars cantina? Existing as well as what?
What's your point about your neighbor's cows? They're in a pasture not a feedlot, right?
Bad apples among vegans?
"But to insist that they are the majority due to some propaganda films and/or ideology? Not hardly." ( I don't know what you're saying I said here? )
I have no idea what you're talking about and you kinda sound high. I shared my diet story and that I don't like the feedlot industry, or Monsanto.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:22 AM

18,676 posts, read 24,081,660 times
we are omnivores … meats are high in protein and very healthy for us..

im part of many facebook keto and carnivore diet forums.... hundreds/thousands of women ...have said they ...needed a change ..and tried more and more meats...and never felt so good
the carbs and sugars and grains they were eating were not healthy.....
watch "the magic pill"

Old 11-13-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we are omnivores … meats are high in protein and very healthy for us..

im part of many facebook keto and carnivore diet forums.... hundreds/thousands of women ...have said they ...needed a change ..and tried more and more meats...and never felt so good
the carbs and sugars and grains they were eating were not healthy.....
watch "the magic pill"
Eating meat is eating violence. Foregoing meat does not mean one has to load up on carbs and sugars. This is just a ploy to distract from the fact that people can be very healthy on a vegan diet and there are plenty of world-class vegan athletes to prove it.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 AM

2,399 posts, read 3,104,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Eating meat is eating violence. Foregoing meat does not mean one has to load up on carbs and sugars. This is just a ploy to distract from the fact that people can be very healthy on a vegan diet and there are plenty of world-class vegan athletes to prove it.
exactly, I can eat potato chips for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and call myself a Vegan.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:39 AM

5,827 posts, read 3,587,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
exactly, I can eat potato chips for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and call myself a Vegan.
At least mix it up, potato chips for breakfast, Cheetos for lunch and Doritos for dinner all with a can of Mountain Dew, the perfect vegan trifecta diet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or