Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 08:23 PM

313 posts, read 268,217 times

Advertisements

Anyone else return to meat and dairy also? My hair really thinned, skin dried out and wrinkled, mood changed, blood pressure rose, was sensitive to salty foods, had frequent low blood sugar, etc etc etc, eating vegan. My system was out of whack, mineral/vitamin levels thrown off. Probably protein deficient too. Takes great effort to ensure proper nutrition eating vegan. It was a healthy choice, esp for heart health. But now I just feel better after eating meat and dairy. I'm satiated, eat less, go longer in between meals, have lost weight and don't have cravings for unhealthy food, carbs, sugars. Inadequate protein, vit, minerals caused a starvation feeling and unhealthy cravings. I guess I just feel more normal now going back to meat and dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 09:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post
Anyone else return to meat and dairy also? My hair really thinned, skin dried out and wrinkled, mood changed, blood pressure rose, was sensitive to salty foods, had frequent low blood sugar, etc etc etc, eating vegan. My system was out of whack, mineral/vitamin levels thrown off. Probably protein deficient too. Takes great effort to ensure proper nutrition eating vegan. It was a healthy choice, esp for heart health. But now I just feel better after eating meat and dairy. I'm satiated, eat less, go longer in between meals, have lost weight and don't have cravings for unhealthy food, carbs, sugars. Inadequate protein, vit, minerals caused a starvation feeling and unhealthy cravings. I guess I just feel more normal now going back to meat and dairy.
I sure hope my grandgirl wakes up as she embraced veganism in her early years at college. I sent your words to her mother as we're both concerned about her. She's gained probably at least 20 lbs since she changed. I could never get my mind into vegan world. Thanks for your story.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:40 PM

313 posts, read 268,217 times
Oh Jamin, I have a daughter away at college who is still vegan.... We started together after she showed me the movie "Forks over Knives". I think she's seeing what's happening to her body and mood finally though. She told me last week she ate cheese again at the dining hall! Vegan can be done if one is very careful, but most people lack time and resources to do it successfully/correctly. Her good friend eats strictly "raw vegan". My daughter says this friend is suffering health/mood issues eating this strict diet.

Last edited by Withinpines; 11-09-2019 at 10:55 PM..

Old 11-10-2019, 03:50 AM

12,030 posts, read 6,560,687 times
I never went vegan, but for five years I tried a strict vegetarian diet.
I just became sicker and sicker every year. Hair loss, no energy, and picked up every flu or cold virus near me.
Finally, my holistic doctor tested my blood and because I am O type, he said that comes from genetically strong historical meat eaters, and I needed to start eating meat and higher protein again.

Saw immediate improvement in my health. I eat hormone free and organic free range or grass fed meat and do best on a more paleo type diet with limited grains and carbs. But my husband with different blood type THRIVED on the vegetarian diet and still eats less meat than I do to keep healthy.
So interesting how our genes and blood type can dictate what diets work best for us.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:08 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,723 times
^ I'm an O blood type as well. I could never give up cheese, and I have zero desire to eat a vegan. But thank you for reinforcing that it is not for me!

Old 11-10-2019, 09:41 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
One of my friends just started to eat occasional salmon and felt better. He is allergic to milk and has a soy sensitivity, so incorporating dairy is not an option for him, but adding the salmon helped him to get the additional nutrients he needed.

On the other hand, I have a friend who switched to veganism and has Crohn’s and his health actually improved. I think he may go back to being vegetarian, but I don’t know if he is going to go back to eating meat. He noticed a lot fewer digestive issues on the vegan diet than when he was on a regular diet. The point is that vegan/vegetarianism works very well for some and poorly for others.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Oh Jamin, I have a daughter away at college who is still vegan.... We started together after she showed me the movie "Forks over Knives". I think she's seeing what's happening to her body and mood finally though. She told me last week she ate cheese again at the dining hall! Vegan can be done if one is very careful, but most people lack time and resources to do it successfully/correctly. Her good friend eats strictly "raw vegan". My daughter says this friend is suffering health/mood issues eating this strict diet.
Oh it's shocking TO ME the changes she has done since time in college. Her mom said she's giving up soy and that stuff is so bad and these young people "know it all" .. I jumped on the soy wagon when it hit the U,S, and talk about Fatigue, it destroys the thyroid. So much to learn and these young people have no idea how much there is before NOW times. Good teachers who are gone but their teachings live on.

I messed with that vegetarian life a tad but it was NOT for me, like my meats and I'm not talking about sitting down and eating lbs. I don't do a lot of dairy, some cheese and yogurt now and then.

In my life and I'm 8 decades on this earth, mom was best teacher. We ate everything, and too much sugars and carbs I now realize. Good post.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-10-2019 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-10-2019, 11:41 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,247 times
I've been vegetarian all my life, have none of the problems you listed....meat isn't necessary to feel good.

I know you said vegan, not vegetarian, but I'm talking about meat not being necessary.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:42 AM

608 posts, read 515,333 times
Human beings were designed to eat anything we could hunt, pick from trees or plants, dig from the ground, or scavenge. We are Omnivores, look it up

Old 11-10-2019, 12:04 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
I think people who are culturally vegetarian (for example some Hindus who don't eat meat) know how to do it best because they've grown up for generations eating that way. They haven't learned it from a book or just gotten a "wild hair" to do it. Many American vegetarians don't eat the beans and legumes necessary to get all the proteins. They just eat a bunch of salad and think they're eating well - and they get sick.

And most Hindus eat all dairy in terms of cheese and milk - but no eggs. They're healthy and their babies/children are healthy eating vegetarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness