U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM

2,147 posts, read 781,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I haven’t had blood work in at least a decade,
age 61. Blood draws are quite unpleasant, make me nauseous.
I know my BP though and it’s good.
So, no doctors for me unless emergency or some concerning symptoms were to come up.

They're awful, I couldn't have put it better.

Ever since I was about 19 and the nurse missed my vain, from the forearm up I looked like a drug addict. When I went back to the doctor for it they looked at me like I was some IV drug user. Since then I get really anxious.

OP, careful. Go get a checkup. Half of America basically has diabetes. I feel great, am a little heavy though, work out religiously and my glucose was on the high end of normal. In process of reversing it. Diabetes is a horrible disease but it can be walked back if caught early enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

6,948 posts, read 3,804,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
if you go the doctor be prepared for a laundry list of testing and the fact that the doctor will 100% find something "wrong" with you.

That's what annual checkups do. They are to bring people into the medical industry for profit. Via more testing, prescription drugs or surgery. And followup after followup after followup visit.

Be prepared for that.
I am with you on this. Never had a GP or annual checkups my entire adult (71 now) life. I did go to a GYN/OB as a young woman, but stopped after giving birth in 1984. A few pre-employment physicals at a clinic but that was nothing like what someone's personal doctor would do. I don't know what my BP is. Last time it was taken was when I was in a UCC for food poisoning 10 years ago Would that be indicative of what my normal BP is? Could food poisoning have been prevented by annual check ups?
Other than a blood test for rubella antibodies by my OB, I have never had routine blood "work". My last vaccination was in 1952 at age 4.

At one pre-employment physical the medical questionnaire was pages and page long. What is my medical history? If you do not go to a doctor, you will not have a medical history. Just the list of medications you take was 4 pages long!!!! Big X through all of that.

Preventive medicine is Big Business today with REPEAT customers. $$$$ The OP is an adult and can choose what he wants to do. It is his choice alone and nobody else's.

Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

6,948 posts, read 3,804,246 times
My husband has a home BP monitor and checks his daily. His calendar is filled with 4 different doctor appointments he sees, and drives 45 minutes to. He spends an hour a week cutting and sorting all the pills he takes.

I couldn't and would not want to LIVE like that. That is my choice and I have it spelled out in an Advanced Directive. Did not need a doctor's permission for that.

Again, OP needs to make up his own adult mind about his medical choices, and what is "right for you". Pun intended.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM

9,966 posts, read 10,975,393 times
I'm 38. Not a big fan of going to the dr, but I still go. Bloodwork makes me anxious, but I still go it.

I track my BP, and my cholesterol with regularity. It was climbing for a while, but I made changes to my diet and exercise to bring that back in line. No meds here. I have some family history of diabetes and kidney failure, so I do routine tests to stay on top of that to catch it early if it were to occur.

Insurance covers most of the cost for me, so really it's not a big deal to take a few hours of my day once a year to go get a physical and make sure everything is on track.

Your body, your decision. But i'd at least go once and see if it's something you don't mind repeating, or make your decision to not go.

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

4,397 posts, read 2,980,577 times
OP, sounds like you're healthy and intentionally try to live a healthy lifestyle. That's better than most right off the bat. It doesn't hurt to do a check up or screening now and then.

My husband and I are in our 60's and we don't go to the doctor regularly either. We may have had 3 blood workups in the last 20 years and one was for new life insurance policies. Everything was normal.

If we were told that we needed to get on prescription meds for something, we would try lifestyle changes first.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
Status: "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (set 3 days ago)

15,537 posts, read 8,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarcso View Post
I'm 40 and I think I'm healthy. I go the gym 4/5 times a week, never smoked in my life, have a social drink every now and then. I try to have a good diet - I don't eat fried food, avoid dairy and pork meat and sugary drinks - but I'm not paranoid about it. I don't deny myself junk food once every few weeks.

I got all vaccines when I was young but that was it. I've never been to a doctor in my entire life after that. I've come down with the flu and food poisoning a couple of times but obviously treated those at home.

I was having dinner with friends the other day and someone mentioned something about blood pressure. I was amazed that everyone knew what their normal blood pressure is and a number of other indicators. I was standing there in the middle of the conversation with "???" written all over my face.

Is any of this unusual?
You think. Go.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM

10,113 posts, read 7,370,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, sounds like you're healthy and intentionally try to live a healthy lifestyle. That's better than most right off the bat. It doesn't hurt to do a check up or screening now and then.

My husband and I are in our 60's and we don't go to the doctor regularly either. We may have had 3 blood workups in the last 20 years and one was for new life insurance policies. Everything was normal.

If we were told that we needed to get on prescription meds for something, we would try lifestyle changes first.
And most providers would encourage lifestyle changes first before medication unless you had a serious condition or illness that needed medication to control or get rid of it. Even in those cases, they'd encourage your healthy life style to help mitigate those conditions.

This is true despite the claims of the medical establishment naysayers that its all about more and more meds, visits, tests, and so on. Always makes me wonder how they are so sure about this when they never go to doctors..

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

970 posts, read 376,867 times
My husband and I aren't regular doctor goers. And neither of us went much until a few years ago when my husband decided he needed new glasses. The optometrist discovered some issues.

Short story - he needs treatment for a condition that wasn't causing noticeable symptoms yet, but could have led to him going blind. And a couple of very serious conditions were possibilities, but ruled out along the way. So now he has an ophthalmologist he sees on a regular basis to monitor his vision. He would have had no idea until he had permanent damage to his eyes, except for that visit to the glasses store.

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

15,849 posts, read 9,085,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That has never been my experience with annual checkup visits.
Me either - we address any ongoing issues I have (like my thyroid) and if I have new symptoms we discuss. Very rarely do they add a list of things they think are going on that I need additional tests for.

If you only go to the doc every 10 or 20 years then your experience may be different because you have untreated issues that need attention - that's on YOU, not the doctor's fault.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

15,849 posts, read 9,085,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My husband has a home BP monitor and checks his daily. His calendar is filled with 4 different doctor appointments he sees, and drives 45 minutes to. He spends an hour a week cutting and sorting all the pills he takes.

I couldn't and would not want to LIVE like that. That is my choice and I have it spelled out in an Advanced Directive. Did not need a doctor's permission for that.

Again, OP needs to make up his own adult mind about his medical choices, and what is "right for you". Pun intended.
You act as though you KNOW your husband doesn't really need to see those 4 doctors. I don't know either, maybe a GP could handle most of it and also be aware of all the medications to be sure they are coordinated. But I certainly wouldn't assume that all 4 doctors were just lying in wait to jump on your naive husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or