U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 11:16 AM
 
6 posts
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

I'm 40 and I think I'm healthy. I go the gym 4/5 times a week, never smoked in my life, have a social drink every now and then. I try to have a good diet - I don't eat fried food, avoid dairy and pork meat and sugary drinks - but I'm not paranoid about it. I don't deny myself junk food once every few weeks.

I got all vaccines when I was young but that was it. I've never been to a doctor in my entire life after that. I've come down with the flu and food poisoning a couple of times but obviously treated those at home.

I was having dinner with friends the other day and someone mentioned something about blood pressure. I was amazed that everyone knew what their normal blood pressure is and a number of other indicators. I was standing there in the middle of the conversation with "???" written all over my face.

Is any of this unusual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
17,836 posts, read 18,165,968 times
Reputation: 43973
I think that this is an important point. "I'm 40 and I think I'm healthy." You think that you are healthy but you do not know that you are healthy. While I know people who do not have regular checkups and rarely go to the doctor, I don't know anyone who has never gone to the doctor as an adult.

And, yes, I know my usual blood pressure and everyone that I know knows their usual blood pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:37 AM
 
6 posts
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I think that this is an important point. "I'm 40 and I think I'm healthy." You think that you are healthy but you do not know that you are healthy. While I know people who do not have regular checkups and rarely go to the doctor, I don't know anyone who has never gone to the doctor as an adult.

And, yes, I know my usual blood pressure and everyone that I know knows their usual blood pressure.
I have no specific symptoms of anything. Of course there are weeks when I am more tired, I have headaches or less appetite, but who doesn't go through that every now and then?

Well, I have no idea what my average BP is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Early America
1,832 posts, read 885,645 times
Reputation: 3972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarcso View Post
I'm 40 and I think I'm healthy. I go the gym 4/5 times a week, never smoked in my life, have a social drink every now and then. I try to have a good diet - I don't eat fried food, avoid dairy and pork meat and sugary drinks - but I'm not paranoid about it. I don't deny myself junk food once every few weeks.

I got all vaccines when I was young but that was it. I've never been to a doctor in my entire life after that. I've come down with the flu and food poisoning a couple of times but obviously treated those at home.

I was having dinner with friends the other day and someone mentioned something about blood pressure. I was amazed that everyone knew what their normal blood pressure is and a number of other indicators. I was standing there in the middle of the conversation with "???" written all over my face.

Is any of this unusual?

You can pick up a blood pressure monitor from a drug store.

It would be good idea to get a physical exam. It's a preventive measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Central IL
15,838 posts, read 9,077,486 times
Reputation: 37359
40 can be a turning point, especially for men. A general physical could rule out any major potential problems. If your cholesterol, heart, lungs, and other labwork check out then you can feel pretty good. Otherwise, 40 is soon enough to turn something around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:15 PM
 
6 posts
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
40 can be a turning point, especially for men. A general physical could rule out any major potential problems. If your cholesterol, heart, lungs, and other labwork check out then you can feel pretty good. Otherwise, 40 is soon enough to turn something around.
What sort of exams are involved in that? Anything too painful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Southern California
26,126 posts, read 9,257,130 times
Reputation: 16778
OP: You sound pretty healthy to me. And it's a good idea to keep an eye on BP, even check it at one of those drug store monitors, it can give you an idea. They are not exact but what is...it's an idea anyway. I'm 81 and only go once a year, but I've done my time with docs. I was dancing my legs off in my 40's, best years in my life, when I was 40something.

We can so much be our own docs for all the minor aches and pains of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Wine Country
5,510 posts, read 6,667,363 times
Reputation: 10221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarcso View Post
What sort of exams are involved in that? Anything too painful?
Nothing painful for a health workup other than getting your blood taken and that is no big deal.
It is a very smart idea to get a physical at this point. It is also smart to get a primary care doc so if you do have a problem they have your records. Generally you need a primary doctor for getting referrals for specialists as well.
As far as I can see there is no downside to getting a health work up now, and a huge one if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:13 PM
 
6 posts
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Nothing painful for a health workup other than getting your blood taken and that is no big deal.
It is a very smart idea to get a physical at this point. It is also smart to get a primary care doc so if you do have a problem they have your records. Generally you need a primary doctor for getting referrals for specialists as well.
As far as I can see there is no downside to getting a health work up now, and a huge one if you don't.
Thank you for the tips. I might have a look into that even though I would feel a bit ridiculous for going into a doctor's office without a specific complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:25 PM
 
4,614 posts, read 1,991,154 times
Reputation: 9247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgarcso View Post
Thank you for the tips. I might have a look into that even though I would feel a bit ridiculous for going into a doctor's office without a specific complaint.
“Annual physical” is a normal reason to go into the doctor. You don’t need to have a complaint. It is just to check to make sure everything is fine. The doctor usually listens to your heart, lungs, checks your blood pressure, and then will order labs like a lipid panel and probably a few other tests since you haven’t had any for a while. You can still have issues like high BP and cholesterol, especially at age 40. Both have somewhat of a genetic component, so if you have a family history of heart disease, it is worth getting checked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top