U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 07:11 PM

1,766 posts, read 2,401,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Must you high step and swing your arms at all times? That was your mistake and is not normal walking and was not necessary and not prescribed to do every moment you're walking. You are exaggerating something to a degree that it is having an unintended impact and then saying 'gotcha' to your doctor which is silly.

Even walking in the most relaxed way possible the reading would have been wrong with no time whatsoever to settle down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Right? What amazes me is the assumption on the part of some that if they don't like the numbers, they *must* be wrong.

Numbers are not wrong in my case because I do not like them, numbers are wrong when the protocol for taking blood pressure is ignored.

You can do a search for "how to take blood pressure" and find probably hundreds of links that are all in agreement that the standard is some period of time to relax motionless before the reading.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I would hate to hear that your health is in danger because your home unit did not agree with the higher reading of the doctor's.

In almost all cases a person's blood pressure will heighten sometimes significantly just by being in a doctor's office or simply from leaving your home and making your way by any means of transport to your doctor's office.

Get " another opinion" with a comparison from a pharmacy blood pressure machine and see if that reading is accurate to what the doctor's says or what your home unit says.

It is a new thing in my community where the doctor takes 6 blood pressure measurements with a machine to ensure accuracy.

I completely trust all of my doctors. They are my angels.

The home unit agrees with the pharmacy unit.

It agrees with what is taken in the doctor's office IF done right at the doctor's office. Sometimes I request it be taken again at the end of the appointment and then it is right in range with what I get at home.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM

11,038 posts, read 5,029,020 times
Rules say that you should relax for at least 10 minutes. Your arm is to be supported. If you are holding it up, the BP reading will be high. My sister, an RN, said they were never taught the proper way to take it in nursing school. I am 71, I don't think that I have had it taken right more a couple times in my life. I thought it was "white coat" for a long time until I figured out the right way to do it.

Old Today, 08:36 AM

33,546 posts, read 21,148,739 times
I'm fine with how my doctor does it.

It's the first thing they do. If it is normal, then that's it.

If the reading comes in high, they wait awhile and do it again.

I have no problem with that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Rules say that you should relax for at least 10 minutes. Your arm is to be supported. If you are holding it up, the BP reading will be high. My sister, an RN, said they were never taught the proper way to take it in nursing school. I am 71, I don't think that I have had it taken right more a couple times in my life. I thought it was "white coat" for a long time until I figured out the right way to do it.

Exactly! And when this was not done right several posters want to blame me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or