U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 10:47 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,389,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You are absolutely correct. Funny how the OP, a non professional, knows more than trained medical professionals, who do this like 50 times a day.

My ex is an RN, and , when I was post surgery last year, she took my blood pressure a bunch of times and it was always spot on.

The OP needs to go to medical school and learn a little.

I am glad your ex did it correctly.

Go to medical school and learn how to be in a hurry and come up with bogus BP readings?

Took mine a while ago, 114/74.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,389,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Oh for pete's sake. I've had my blood pressure taken at least 1000 times in a doctor's office, and it is completely accurate every time. It's not rocket science.

Sit down and wait a few minutes before having it taken, which is normal and common practice.

If you will read one of my other posts, the nurse would not let me wait a few minutes despite my request.

Don

Old 11-21-2019, 10:53 PM

5,597 posts, read 3,628,554 times
Don in Austin, I know exactly what you are saying in your original post and after, and I agree!

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

1,305 posts, read 962,275 times
I have hypertension caused by a medication I have to take. My BP still gets elevated from time to time. Any time it has been elevated in the doctors office, they simply said OK let’s wait and see what it does in a few minutes. Before we started the meds, there was a period of time where I monitored my BP daily to make sure it needed to be treated. They didn’t just hand over a prescription for meds based on one single reading.

My point is so what if it reads high sometimes and you have to take it again? You seemed to have an explanation for why it was high, so it wasn’t reading wrong, it just isn’t your typical range. Your doctor should know that your BP is sometimes elevated after climbing 4 flights of stairs, that’s important information for them to have.

So many people die from untreated hypertension. Be thankful you won’t be one of them.

Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM

11,579 posts, read 5,362,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
No, it is not rocket science. That is why I am disappointed when it is not done correctly.

You have had better luck with how it is done than I have.

The numbers I have received are NOT "completely accurate."
I agree - my numbers are always quite a bit higher than when I check my BP at home. The nurse walks you down a long hallway and takes your blood pressure the minute you sit down instead of waiting for a minute or so. But that's modern medicine. And the doctor spends most of his time looking at his computer and not at his patient.

Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM

10,130 posts, read 7,377,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I agree - my numbers are always quite a bit higher than when I check my BP at home. The nurse walks you down a long hallway and takes your blood pressure the minute you sit down instead of waiting for a minute or so. But that's modern medicine. And the doctor spends most of his time looking at his computer and not at his patient.
They generally take my blood pressure after I've waited in the waiting room, and often for a while of cooling my heels in the exam room. It's usually in a chair so my feet are flat on the floor and the arm they use is resting on an arm rest at heart level, more or less. And the readings are often still too high. But I can't say they are wrong just because I don't like the numbers, any more than I can say they're wrong about my weight because I don't like those numbers either.

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

9,969 posts, read 10,989,294 times
Mine is always high when I first walk in. I could go in for the most normal routine exam ever and it will be elevated when I sit down. I do get anxiety in that situation.

At the end of the physical, my dr. will always recheck it, and as always, after talking calmly and realizing I am about to leave the office, it's down and normal.

One time I went to the ER for possible concussion. I felt fine, but felt I should get it checked out. As soon as I mentioned concussion, there was a team around me beginning to examine me and run through various checks. My anxiety shot up, and they remarked my BP was way up.

30 min later, while comfortably relaxing in the exam room, a nurse rechecked and it was down to normal.

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 4,719,126 times
You're just stressed out, and with these thoughts likely significantly contributing to that. Before being put on blood pressure meds they would have you test at home and bring in your home tester to compare to the office reading back to back.

Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

1,968 posts, read 900,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Perhaps, but I don't think so. It is the same when I take my BP at home, I need to relax a few minutes and then it comes down. When it is high at the doctor's office I do not feel intimidated by medical staff, but simply haven't had enough time for it to wind down. It was has never been high when I have been hospitalized because when they take it usually I have not been active at all.
Then arrive earlier and relax. Don't arrive just in time to be called in, instead arrive 15 mins before. Also, don't take the stairs if that elevates your blood pressure when visiting the doctor, get your exercise after the visit.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

5,923 posts, read 2,603,093 times
What is the point of all this? Walk out of a cardiologists office because of an "off" BP? What is the issue? They take mine and it's always a little high. They know that. I know that...carry on.

When I first had a heart attack (I've had a few, premature onset of CAD), I would call my Dr. every time my BP was "off" eventually he said "stop taking it everyday." Lol.

If you're BP is usually normal, who cares what it is at the Dr. office? I don't get it...This whole thing is baffling to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or