U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2019, 09:10 AM
 
16 posts, read 9,866 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

I had my first gout flare up, well first identified one, last month that still hasn't fully resolved. Having done a lot of research since, I get what you are saying about conflicting info. My Primary doc even pulled up webmd or something literally on his iPhone in front of me and said to follow that and "don't eat like an American."

The consensus is to cut down/eliminate alcohol and sugar/fructose. Pretty much everyone I interact with is a social drinker, so I guess I'm the DD for now on. Won't be difficult to cut out soda, juice, candy, etc as I'm not a 12 year old.

One thing a lot of the research doesn't discuss is carbs, which many of what we consume are inflammatory. I'm going to try and greatly reduce carbs and replace with low purine veggies and see what that does. Basically a ketatonic diet. Gonna be tough as I LOVE my pasta, breads, and potatoes.

Having cut down on soda, booze, shell fish and red meat the last month plus, I've already lost a few lbs and my skin looks much better. So if I can maintain the diet change, this gout thing may have ended up being a net positive for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2019, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Wylie, Texas
1,823 posts, read 2,571,853 times
Reputation: 2988
Quote:
Originally Posted by geevai View Post
I had my first gout flare up, well first identified one, last month that still hasn't fully resolved. Having done a lot of research since, I get what you are saying about conflicting info. My Primary doc even pulled up webmd or something literally on his iPhone in front of me and said to follow that and "don't eat like an American."

The consensus is to cut down/eliminate alcohol and sugar/fructose. Pretty much everyone I interact with is a social drinker, so I guess I'm the DD for now on. Won't be difficult to cut out soda, juice, candy, etc as I'm not a 12 year old.

One thing a lot of the research doesn't discuss is carbs, which many of what we consume are inflammatory. I'm going to try and greatly reduce carbs and replace with low purine veggies and see what that does. Basically a ketatonic diet. Gonna be tough as I LOVE my pasta, breads, and potatoes.

Having cut down on soda, booze, shell fish and red meat the last month plus, I've already lost a few lbs and my skin looks much better. So if I can maintain the diet change, this gout thing may have ended up being a net positive for me.
And that is the issue for me.
You cut out most meat and fish
You cut out pasta breads rice and potatoes
You cut out soda and alcohol
You cut out high purine vegetables

What exactly do you have left to eat? Not much. And keeping in mind that this is something you are going to have to keep up for the rest of your life how sustainable is it realistically?
For me I don’t think it is. I can do some, heck probably most of it, but not forever. That’s why I’m now open to the Allopurinol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2019, 05:10 PM
 
16 posts, read 9,866 times
Reputation: 25
I'm not going to restrict much on meat going forward and really focus on cutting back the carbs. Despite the high purine amounts in red meat, turkey, etc. For me, my uric acid level was technically not high, although the high end of normal, so some other factors at play besides just purines/uric acid.

I'm hoping elimination of booze, sweets, and drastic cut down in carbs is the ticket. If not, then will also consider allopurinol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Wylie, Texas
1,823 posts, read 2,571,853 times
Reputation: 2988
Quote:
Originally Posted by geevai View Post
I'm not going to restrict much on meat going forward and really focus on cutting back the carbs. Despite the high purine amounts in red meat, turkey, etc. For me, my uric acid level was technically not high, although the high end of normal, so some other factors at play besides just purines/uric acid.

I'm hoping elimination of booze, sweets, and drastic cut down in carbs is the ticket. If not, then will also consider allopurinol.
Not cutting out the red meat and turkey would be a major mistake in my opinion
While there is a lot of conflicting information out there, one thing that all the sources I read agree on is that red meat is a huge no no, same with sea food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
73,438 posts, read 85,615,476 times
Reputation: 43741
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Not cutting out the red meat and turkey would be a major mistake in my opinion
While there is a lot of conflicting information out there, one thing that all the sources I read agree on is that red meat is a huge no no, same with sea food
I have to admit hubby still eats red meat but only about once a week, maybe twice at the most. As for turkey except for thanksgiving he probably never has it. Seafood different story: there are so many pluses to eating seafood, we think they may outweigh the minuses. It is hard to know what to eat and not eat, knowing that the suggested diets seem to change every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:45 AM
 
16 posts, read 9,866 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Not cutting out the red meat and turkey would be a major mistake in my opinion
While there is a lot of conflicting information out there, one thing that all the sources I read agree on is that red meat is a huge no no, same with sea food
You are definitely correct, not cutting down on read meat and turkey goes against the current. My thinking is that I cut down on those foods plus seafood, booze and sweets drastically since my initial flare up on Oct 15 and my gout still hasn't totally gone away. I've had mini flare ups since then, while not as bad as the initial one, still bad enough where I have to limp around.

So this time I'm cutting down the carbs and adding back in red meat (but not turkey/seafood). I did have steak and veggies over Thanksgiving, but not the usual mashed potatoes, bread, turkey, stuffing, etc. So far no repercussions.

I'm beginning to learn that everyone's gout is different. At t his point, I'm pretty much experimenting and trying to figure out what works best for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Anchorage
450 posts, read 237,595 times
Reputation: 996
For me, cutting way back on beer seems to have had the most effect. I also reduced (but didn't eliminate) red meat, and substantially reduced my consumption of processed meat (ham, bacon, sausage, etc.). I'm in Alaska and we eat a lot of seafood, salmon in particular, and I haven't seen that as a problem.


The other thing that seems to help me is keeping my feet warm (my gout has been in my big toes). Taking off your shoes when going inside is customary up here and I like running around in bare feet. I now have some thick socks I put on in the house to keep my feet warm and that seems to help keep gout under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top