Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 01:41 PM

50 posts, read 18,137 times

Advertisements

Had a surgery Sunday, today I'm supposedly going home, but they told they were processing my discharge papers hours ago and its been "any minute now" everything I have asked since.

But that's the case with everything in this God Forsaken place, and I tired of staring at the wall.

If I wait, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, clearly.

But if I leave without their say so, even as they are allegedly working on my papers, it will go down as leaving Against Medical Advice, and could be a problem with insurance, not to mention liability if anything went wrong.

So what if I did something to speed up this process? Get myself kicked out deliberately?

For example, I push the call button, and when the nurse comes in and asks what she can get me, I pull out my cigarettes, light up right in the room and say:

"How about an ash tray m'lady?"

Or maybe I start loudly singing "We will rock you!" While stomping on the floor and clapping.

Then they likely show me to the door in no time, but can't claim that I left against medical advice. Because medical staff, you know, advised me to leave, now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 02:09 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,150,521 times
What's your rush? Are you going shopping?

The staff is probably attending to sick patients. You're not. The staff is probably overstressed. Have a cup of chamomile tea and chill. Don't add to their already stressful jobs. They're doing the best they can under difficult situations.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:28 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Being nasty and pitching a fit because you aren't getting exactly what you want is juvenile. If you expected sympathy you aren't getting it from this quarter.

It could be worse...you could be getting discharged accompanied by a terminal cancer prognosis. How's that for inconvenience?

Let me guess. You would also scream bloody murder if that same hospital neglected to note some vital bit of your discharge order, gave you the wrong antibiotic or pain relief, mixed your chart up with someone else's, took a protocol shortcut and handed you an infection, or cut the wrong thing out of you all because you insisted they hurry, right?

Life is tough right now. Be kind to the people who bothered to show up.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-29-2021 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 03:35 PM

10,951 posts, read 3,688,238 times
Welcome to America's Hospitals where I feel sometimes they delay the release of patients, SPECIALLY those that have no voice in their Health matters, just to charge Medicare/Commercial Insurance an extra day....

It has happenned in my Family Nucleus, and it's a SHAME

Old 10-01-2021, 03:58 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,402,967 times
Unless you are deemed a danger to yourself or others, you are perfectly free to leave a hospital AMA whenever you want. You are also not required to sign any papers. Just try to be nice and polite about it (although I assume you’ve already been discharged by now). You don’t have to worry about liability (why would you? It’s typically the health care providers who worries about liability) or your insurance not paying. Insurance not paying is an urban legend.

I left AMA on one occasion and I was fine.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:32 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Chill out! Hospitals are understaffed and everyone is stressed out. No need for your to cause more stress.

Old 10-02-2021, 01:10 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Be patient, paperwork has to be done, some things verified/checked, instructions given, and then doctor is suppose to see you and sign release papers. Everyone can't just drop what they're doing with other patients just so you can rush out.

Old 10-02-2021, 03:56 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Unless you are deemed a danger to yourself or others, you are perfectly free to leave a hospital AMA whenever you want. You are also not required to sign any papers. Just try to be nice and polite about it (although I assume you’ve already been discharged by now). You don’t have to worry about liability (why would you? It’s typically the health care providers who worries about liability) or your insurance not paying. Insurance not paying is an urban legend.

I left AMA on one occasion and I was fine.
Absolutely not true in the case of Medicare.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:11 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Absolutely not true in the case of Medicare.
why is that?

Old 10-02-2021, 07:20 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
why is that?
I can't comment on the Medicare portion, however, with another insurer we experienced a similar such delay of hours and hours. I called the insurance company and was told that leaving was against medical advice and would be noted as such. I asked if he were going to be discharged why we had to wait for hours for a discharge nurse as he had been seen by his Dr. who told him he was discharged and it was further explained that if he were to be readmitted for the same thing that brought him in, in the first place, we could be held liable. I asked what about if he were discharged and had to return for the same thing and they said then it is on the hospital and insurance will fight it out with them. Not sure this is true or not.

I have to believe you are home now, but if this happens to anyone else there is a patient advocate in every facility that you can call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness