U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 06:21 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,571,853 times

Advertisements

OK
So after a few weeks of mysterious pains, starting initially in my elbow, then moving on down to my ankle before finishing off in my big toe. I've finally received clarity on the cause of these ailments. I thought it was me overdoing it at the gym. Turns out I have gout. Bummer.

Doc put me on Indotheracin, Prednisone and Colchicine. I'm aware of allopurinol which is a lifetime drug, but for now my doctor thinks with corrections to diet and exercise I may not need that one.
I've been reading voraciously on gout. A lot of conflicting information, but I find that most tend to agree on the following:

DO NOT EAT
Red meat (ham, turkey, pork, bacon, beef, lamb...essentially all the red meats plus turkey)
Alcohol
Vegetables high in purines (cauliflower, asparagus, spinach and a few others)
Pretty much all seafood except maybe catfish
Regular soda
Fried foods
Tomatoes
Anything with high fructose corn syrup so basically most candies, sweets, cakes etc.

EAT
low fat dairy
all other vegetables that are low on purines
carbs like rice bread pasta potatoes
fruit especially cherries
chicken

I'm sure there are food groups I'm forgetting but I think that is the gist of it there.
One issue is that there are conflicting reports i've read, for example some say you CAN eat fish...i've seen where tomatoes are a low purine food that should be ok but it's a no no. Which also extends to anything that uses tomatoes in any form. So pizza, pasta with marinara sauce, tomato soups etc. Are you guys finding this to be the case?
Before I had really dived into this, I had wings from wing stop and had no problems, yet that would be a fried food.
I loved soups, baked potato soup, chicken gnocchi soup as well, but the baked potato soup has bacon pieces in it and the chicken gnocci has spinach. Would this be enough to trigger a flare up?

I know some people say you just have to try different foods and rule them out based on whether they cause a flare up. That seems like a REALLY painful way to go about this, and after what I just went through I'm almost terrified to try ANYTHING that brings this back, yet the choices for food seem really limited.

Dont know how sustainable this would be for me in the long run. I've cut out alcohol, soda, all the red meats (great timing right before Thanksgiving, the wife is now scrambling to find chicken to add to the menu just for me). I'm also limiting chicken to just once or twice a week. So I'm basically a vegetarian at this point.

I also read where eating candy and desserts should be ok in moderation...what are you guys experiencing in regards to this?

Sorry a lot of rambling, still trying to get my head around what my new life is going to be...this for a guy who loves burgers and meat. But I feel staying off meds is more important so I'm willing to give this a try. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 06:27 PM

17,090 posts, read 17,206,438 times
If you have a diet that you know is working, try adding-in one thing at a time and see if you
have a flare-up. Gack, I could not see doing a wholesale elimination of all those foods listed.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:39 AM

47,278 posts, read 38,086,319 times
My husband had (has?) gout. I say "had" because he got it completely under control. He did begin taking allopurinol (and has had no side effects from it) and colchicine when needed (rarely if ever needed now). He MODIFIED his diet but did not completely eliminate anything. For him, the biggest trigger was shellfish so he has cut way back on that, but will occasionally eat a few shrimp or crawfish if we go out to eat - with no ill effects.

Red meat, high purine veggies, and even moderate amounts of alcohol never seem to bother him a bit. Or for that matter, really anything other than shellfish.

His uric acid levels are completely normal now. I totally get the pain of gout by the way - he was MISERABLE. His settled in his ankle, for the record, not his big toe - it never got to his big toe but his ankle swelled up and was so red - I felt so sorry for him. He has had two "attacks" since the first flare up about three years ago - I mean the initial flare up and then one more. The first one was the worst, the second one not nearly as bad. He hasn't had one at all for about a year now.

Good luck! It's not the end of the world.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband had (has?) gout. I say "had" because he got it completely under control. He did begin taking allopurinol (and has had no side effects from it) and colchicine when needed (rarely if ever needed now). He MODIFIED his diet but did not completely eliminate anything. For him, the biggest trigger was shellfish so he has cut way back on that, but will occasionally eat a few shrimp or crawfish if we go out to eat - with no ill effects.

Red meat, high purine veggies, and even moderate amounts of alcohol never seem to bother him a bit. Or for that matter, really anything other than shellfish.

His uric acid levels are completely normal now. I totally get the pain of gout by the way - he was MISERABLE. His settled in his ankle, for the record, not his big toe - it never got to his big toe but his ankle swelled up and was so red - I felt so sorry for him. He has had two "attacks" since the first flare up about three years ago - I mean the initial flare up and then one more. The first one was the worst, the second one not nearly as bad. He hasn't had one at all for about a year now.

Yes, I'm seeing a lot of praise for allopurinol. I'm already on medicine for high blood pressure which I'm trying to get off through diet and exercise. I really didnt want to now add yet another pill that I have to take. I've been doing all the gout diet things, drinking water, skim milk, cherry juice, apple cider vinegar etc. as well as avoiding all the diet no nos. I go back to the doctor in a couple of weeks to check my uric acid levels. If all this doesnt get it down low enough then I guess I would have to go on the pill as well. But I'm going to give it my best shot first.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:43 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,813,355 times
Quote:

My experience with gout is very similar to KA's husband. At age 75, I've been on 300 mg daily allopurinol for 15 years now, after 2 serious attacks. Uric acid level always tests good now. I've found that I can have all the "must avoid" foods in moderation.

This is first I've heard that "white" meat like pork and turkey were to be avoided. Only beef. Early on a Outback steak would cause flares. Never ham or pork chops or turkey.

Tried to do the "daily small glass of red wine is good for you" thing, but that did trigger flares. But an occasional glass with meals is no problem.

AFAIK, there is no "one size fits all" diet for gout. You do need to experiment. Just keep portions to a minimum. You may get "flares" but they are nowhere near as bad as "attacks".

BTW, allopurinol is the only Rx drug I take. No big deal.

Most days I don't even think about it.

Good Luck...........

Old 11-24-2019, 06:16 PM

15,290 posts, read 20,230,081 times
I've posted, on this forum, about how I had a terrible 3-month-long (24/7) gout attack in every single joint of one foot in 2010. My doctor prescribed colchicine to take as needed.

One night, after a month or so of taking colchicine every day, I got very sick and had to be taken to the ER where it was discovered I had colchicine poisoning. OMG, having to drink that liquid charcoal was the pits -- and I still had such bad gout in every single joint of one foot.

Finally, when my kidney issues were better-controlled after two more months, the gout went away. Now I take allopurinol every day and I can (and do) eat anything I want. I tried to get off the allopurinol once but my uric acid levels went sky-high and the doc said I was one breath away from another gout attack. I dont ever want to go through that again -- I've had several medical emergencies in my lifetime and even almost died once but that 3-month-long gout was the worst time of my life.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:06 PM

5,432 posts, read 8,813,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I've posted, on this forum, about how I had a terrible 3-month-long (24/7) gout attack in every single joint of one foot in 2010. My doctor prescribed colchicine to take as needed.

One night, after a month or so of taking colchicine every day, I got very sick and had to be taken to the ER where it was discovered I had colchicine poisoning. OMG, having to drink that liquid charcoal was the pits -- and I still had such bad gout in every single joint of one foot.

Finally, when my kidney issues were better-controlled after two more months, the gout went away. Now I take allopurinol every day and I can (and do) eat anything I want. I tried to get off the allopurinol once but my uric acid levels went sky-high and the doc said I was one breath away from another gout attack. I dont ever want to go through that again -- I've had several medical emergencies in my lifetime and even almost died once but that 3-month-long gout was the worst time of my life.
Recently I asked my doc if at my age 75, after taking allopurinol for the last 15 years, I could stop. He said no, that what you experienced is exactly what would happen.

Fortunately it is cheap enough that cost is no issue. And no side effects.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:15 AM

73,438 posts, read 85,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Recently I asked my doc if at my age 75, after taking allopurinol for the last 15 years, I could stop. He said no, that what you experienced is exactly what would happen.

Fortunately it is cheap enough that cost is no issue. And no side effects.
My hubby has been dealing with gout for several years and was on allopurinol but the doctor switched to something else about 6 months ago I am not sure what. I do know his uric acid level is never good, but he has some other kidney issues as well. So far, at 82 he is doing pretty well whether he follows a diet or just eats what he wants. He drinks very little alcohol which I am sure helps.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Yeah
so two weeks ago when I got diagnosed with it at the urgent care, I then went in to my primary doc who prescribed me about a weeks worth of prednisone and a month supply of colchicine to follow back up with him in a couple of weeks. That got rid of the pain.

My prednisone ran out two days ago and within a day I started feeling the twinge coming back in my toe. Bear in mind I've been COMPLETELY compliant diet wise during this time. No red meats, alcohol, soda, high purine vegetables. Also drinking plenty of water daily along with apple cider vinegar and tart cherry juice.

So it appears that even following the dietary guidelines that is not enough for me. I had to call the doc to get me another weeks worth of prednisone to get me to my followup appointment next week. Sad to say but I'm thinking I'm going to have to get on the allopurinol as diet alone is not getting it done for me.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:53 PM

15,290 posts, read 20,230,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
...My prednisone ran out two days ago and within a day I started feeling the twinge coming back in my toe. Bear in mind I've been COMPLETELY compliant diet wise during this time. No red meats, alcohol, soda, high purine vegetables. Also drinking plenty of water daily along with apple cider vinegar and tart cherry juice.
So it appears that even following the dietary guidelines that is not enough for me. I had to call the doc to get me another weeks worth of prednisone to get me to my followup appointment next week. Sad to say but I'm thinking I'm going to have to get on the allopurinol as diet alone is not getting it done for me.

I'm so sorry, I hope your doctor is going to check your kidney function and maybe even refer you to a urologist. My diet was not the cause of my gout -- it was my kidneys. I take allopurinol to keep the gout away and I have a urologist who keeps tabs on my kidney function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness