U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2019, 04:23 PM
 
273 posts, read 107,282 times
Reputation: 166

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've had anxiety for pretty much all of my life (I just got off birth control after 8 years, which I think might have made it worse).

My anxiety is mostly consistently worried about the future, psyching myself out because of something that *could* happen in the future, as well as being too anxious to meet people because I'm anxious that they won't like me.

So I've taken the steps to see a psychiatrist this week and starting on anti-anxiety pills.

I realize that they'll take a couple of weeks for the full-effect, but honestly, I'm not sure what they do?

I know a lot of people take them (the slow-acting ones, the ones that are technically anti depressives). But what do they do? Do they change the brain chemistry so the constant worrying about anything/everything are gone?

I'm also seeing a therapist, so that doesn't have to be suggested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2019, 04:52 PM
 
Location: on the wind
8,383 posts, read 3,633,074 times
Reputation: 28696
Which medication is it and what's the dose? It matters, even though everyone's reactions to them differ. There are fast-acting types like lorazepam that can feel sedating in a short time. Longer acting ones like buspirone are much more subtle and take time to kick in. I've used both, but remembering the problem with anecdotes, can only comment on what they felt like for me. Lorazepam made me pretty drowsy/dull/flat quite quickly. Only used it at night or if I didn't need to do anything productive during that day. Didn't use it on a constant basis, only occasionally when something was really upsetting. Buspirone was not that noticeable. I'd describe it as taking off the emotional extremes but leaving you functional. I didn't feel "on" anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2019, 04:53 PM
 
1,203 posts, read 1,893,659 times
Reputation: 5549
An unclenching, a calming of the mind, the ability to take a deep relaxing breath. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2019, 10:30 PM
 
Location: The Bubble, Florida
78 posts, read 9,448 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Hi all,

I've had anxiety for pretty much all of my life (I just got off birth control after 8 years, which I think might have made it worse).

My anxiety is mostly consistently worried about the future, psyching myself out because of something that *could* happen in the future, as well as being too anxious to meet people because I'm anxious that they won't like me.

So I've taken the steps to see a psychiatrist this week and starting on anti-anxiety pills.

I realize that they'll take a couple of weeks for the full-effect, but honestly, I'm not sure what they do?

I know a lot of people take them (the slow-acting ones, the ones that are technically anti depressives). But what do they do? Do they change the brain chemistry so the constant worrying about anything/everything are gone?

I'm also seeing a therapist, so that doesn't have to be suggested
I have that kind of anxiety, to a lesser extent. It's a daily thing, worrying about "what if." Anything and everything can trigger it. On really bad days I might take a xanax (prescribed). A different doc tried to prescribe antidepressants but I tried those a long time ago and didn't like the feeling at all. Just felt blah, flat, outside my body.

The xanax just takes the edge off. Doesn't stop you from worrying or being stressed but it helps make it not so overpowering. Mostly it gives you a chance to take a deep breath and think to yourself "it's okay - we'll just get through this next step and not worry about the step after yet"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Texas from Maryland
434 posts, read 78,849 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Hi all,

I've had anxiety for pretty much all of my life (I just got off birth control after 8 years, which I think might have made it worse).

My anxiety is mostly consistently worried about the future, psyching myself out because of something that *could* happen in the future, as well as being too anxious to meet people because I'm anxious that they won't like me.

So I've taken the steps to see a psychiatrist this week and starting on anti-anxiety pills.

I realize that they'll take a couple of weeks for the full-effect, but honestly, I'm not sure what they do?

I know a lot of people take them (the slow-acting ones, the ones that are technically anti depressives). But what do they do? Do they change the brain chemistry so the constant worrying about anything/everything are gone?

I'm also seeing a therapist, so that doesn't have to be suggested
I never had good results with any depression or anxiety medication. They used to knock me out.

Instead of drugs, especially since you know the reason for your anxiety, just deal with it without drugs, especially if they end up making you feel worst.

You say it's from fear of the future and nervous thinking people won't like you- you don't need tons of friends... Do you want to be social? Just start small....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM
 
31 posts, read 10,558 times
Reputation: 55
If there is any way you can NOT do this and be Ok I would suggest not starting anything that can be addictive which will be most of them. Do some googleing on anxiety medicine addictions before you start maybe.


Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:03 AM
 
4,667 posts, read 2,015,272 times
Reputation: 9316
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
If there is any way you can NOT do this and be Ok I would suggest not starting anything that can be addictive which will be most of them. Do some googleing on anxiety medicine addictions before you start maybe.


Best of luck.
? The OP has indicated that he is taking something that will take a while to take effect, which suggests it isn’t something like Xanax or some other benzodiazepine. The other medications can be challenging to stop, but they are not addictive. I think my mom took a very low dose benzodiazepine when she was going through menopause because she couldn’t tolerate anything else and she was fine. There are also non-addicting alternatives to Xanax like Vistaril, which is used as both an antihistamine and anti-anxiety medicine. I have used it intermittently as an antihistamine for some 8 years now with no issue and they give it to children for anxiety.

OP, if you are taking a long-acting medicine, you might have initial side effects first. For many people, the initial side effects are fatigue, night sweats, insomnia, dry mouth, and digestive changes. I tried Prozac and the night sweats and insomnia were too intense for me to continue (literally drenching multiple times nightly) and I couldn’t eat much of anything. I recently started Effexor and had about a week of extreme fatigue with insomnia, but it wore off pretty quickly. I always get night sweats and can’t really tell if that has changed from the baseline like it did with Prozac. I feel like I can handle stress slightly better. I got put on them for migraines (probably to help with the stress-related ones), and the stress is still there, but I don’t focus on it quite as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM
 
4,302 posts, read 3,968,216 times
Reputation: 11880
I'm assuming you're starting an SSRI. I have seen people have no improvement, and I have seen people who have improvement literally within DAYS of starting. Wide range of response. Worth a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,283 posts, read 21,231,170 times
Reputation: 26901
My daughter just started anti-anxiety meds recently. She had nausea and fatigue, along with decreased appetite. We also noticed that she was speaking really slowly and moving really slowly for several days as she became accustomed to the meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Florida
11,586 posts, read 5,373,951 times
Reputation: 23865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Which medication is it and what's the dose? It matters, even though everyone's reactions to them differ. There are fast-acting types like lorazepam that can feel sedating in a short time. Longer acting ones like buspirone are much more subtle and take time to kick in. I've used both, but remembering the problem with anecdotes, can only comment on what they felt like for me. Lorazepam made me pretty drowsy/dull/flat quite quickly. Only used it at night or if I didn't need to do anything productive during that day. Didn't use it on a constant basis, only occasionally when something was really upsetting. Buspirone was not that noticeable. I'd describe it as taking off the emotional extremes but leaving you functional. I didn't feel "on" anything.
I've been taking Lorazepam for many years, mostly just to help me relax enough to sleep and if I have an anxiety attack I will take a small dosage. Since I've been on them so long I don't get the sedating effect the next day. I take 2 mg. every night and while it doesn't act like a sleeping pill it keeps my mind quiet enough that I can fall asleep. Keep in mind they are highly addictive and if you've been on them a while like I have you will need most likely need a doctor's assistance to slowly wean off of them.

Parnassia is there another generic name for Buspirone? Sometimes I'm tired in the afternoon but no matter how tired I am I cannot fall asleep because of the racing mind. Buspirone sounds like a great alternative to Lorazepam for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top