U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

10,700 posts, read 4,968,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...e30048614.ece#

"The situation is particularly dire in India, which has the highest antibiotic resistance in the world, according to a recent study by Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and the Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics & Policy, all in the US. India also tops the world in antibiotic consumption per person."

Where's the data that supports this claim of highest consumption? Where's the correlation between usage and resistance? According to CDDEP, latest data being 2015, DDD/1000 = defined daily dose per 1000 people:

India - 4950 (one of the highest resistance countries at 82-86%)
New Zealand - 12,551 (one of the lowest resistance countries at 9-12%) Turkey -18,095 (moderate resistance at 53-57%)

I'm sure you'll be "dubious" about their usage numbers for India so perhaps you could cite some raw data and not just experts parroting each other's general conclusions in an echo chamber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

5,951 posts, read 2,637,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
How do you think you have "proven me wrong"???

I seriously have ZERO idea what you are trying to state and I'm reasonably sure YOU have ZERO idea what you are trying to state....

So your chart states ALLERGY: Sulfa antibiotics???? Your point is what exactly???

So you have an allergy or adverse reaction to sulfa antibiotics....LOTS of people have SULFA allergies

What does the sensitivity report stating "sensitive to sulfa antibiotics" have to do with YOU being "resistant" (you aren't) ????????????

Microbacteria are checked against a PANEL of antibiotics for sensitivity......so if the organism grown from your body fluids is sensitive to SULFA it is likely sensitive to other agents as well (unless it isn't hence the whole point of this thread which you seem to have missed)

Regardless, if you are ALLERGIC to or in your case more likely have an ADVERSE REACTION to SULFA drugs then you shouldn't receive them...simple

If you have received them despite your chart stated ALLERGY then that is a whole 'other problem which has nothing to do with this thread..

Finally...if you have an ALLERGY or ADVERSE REACTION to SULFA....giving you SULFA drugs will manifest in an allergic response which by definition is histamine related or in your case some odd adverse reactions.

What it WON'T DO is CAUSE septic shock.....not possible.....again LEARN what septic shock is, how it is diagnosed, how it is mediated and how it is treated and then get back to me...

If the organism being treated is resistant to SULFA and the patient is being treated with wrong antibiotic then sure, septic shock can follow due to the LACK of proper treatment not BECAUSE of the antibiotic

There are also cases where antibiotics work TOO well resulting in rapid endotoxin release, more typically seen with beta lactase of which sulfa is not one...
Oh boy.

I stated I had an allergic reaction to Sulfa's. I lied.

I had to lie so that providers would stop arguing with me about me 'not being resistant to sulfa antibiotics'. Because I am resistant to sulfa antibiotics.

The C & S will state the germ is susceptible. When I take it; it appears to respond for the first 24 hours & them BOOM; my fever is raging, I become disoriented & the original site of the infection will begin to abscess.

My chart & EHR now states that I am allergic to Sulfa's so that I can get an alternative antibiotic prescribed. I didn't mean I proved 'YOU' wrong. I meant; 'why should I accept a prescription knowing that this will happen & to avoid a confrontation with a provider over it'.

Because what was happening is that I would be berated by a provider who sincerely did believe that 'I' could not be resistant to a sulfa. Knowing that this is supposedly correct; that THEY were correct; against my better judgement I would accept the prescribed sulfa. I would be in the ER 48 hours later & after IV fluids, IV abx & tilt tables; I would be given a new script for a non-sulfa abx & fill it, go home & get better.

I 'proved' them wrong but at a great cost to myself. Why waste everybody's time, my money & my health? Now I'm just 'allergic to sulfa'. I'm not, of course. I am RESISTANT to sulfas.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Why are you so sick in the first place?
Because I am vaccine-injured from being vaccinated 4 times in 6 months with the MMR. This occurred two years after the MMR was released & there was not a lot of research done on the status of non-responders to the MMR.

This would not be done now. But it was done to me then & it caused allergies & immune-system problems.

Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Would it surprise you to learn that the number of days the patient suppose to take antibiotics- usually 7 or 10 days- has absolutely no scientific basis and completely pulled out of the doctors ***?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
I recall that the standard antibiotic course in France is 5 days, 7 days in Britain, and 10 days in the U.S. It's rather arbitrary.

And I've read that the common advice "You must take your full prescribed course or the bacteria may become resistant" is not actually scientifically sound. (You can find interviews online with physicians/scientists discussing this issue).
I take the antibiotic long enough for my own immune-system to kick in. My system has been injured & I cannot tolerate the days & days of round the clock doses.

I save the rest for the next time I encounter a cuckold provider who 'can't' prescribe antibiotics for fear of disciplinary actions due to this next 'great idea' from the CDC.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM

24,190 posts, read 29,258,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Where's the data that supports this claim of highest consumption? Where's the correlation between usage and resistance? According to CDDEP, latest data being 2015, DDD/1000 = defined daily dose per 1000 people:

India - 4950 (one of the highest resistance countries at 82-86%)
New Zealand - 12,551 (one of the lowest resistance countries at 9-12%) Turkey -18,095 (moderate resistance at 53-57%)

I'm sure you'll be "dubious" about their usage numbers for India so perhaps you could cite some raw data and not just experts parroting each other's general conclusions in an echo chamber.
Data?

WHO:

Nations vary widely in antibiotic use, WHO data show | CIDRAP

November 12, 2018

"The report, released on the first day of World Antibiotic Awareness Week, found that overall antibiotic consumption in 65 countries in 2015 ranged from 4.4 defined daily doses (DDD) to 64.4 per 1,000 inhabitants per day, a 16-fold difference."

"The lowest reported antibiotic consumption (4.4 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day) was in Burundi, and the highest use (64.4 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day) was in Mongolia. The countries of WHO's European region had a median consumption of 17.9 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day, with a fivefold difference between the highest consuming (Turkey, 38.2 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day) and lowest consuming (Azerbaijan, 7.7 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day) countries."

https://www.who.int/medicines/areas/...81109.pdf?ua=1

"The analysis of the different classes of antibiotics, when applying the WHO AWaRe categorization, found a high level of consumption of cephalosporins and quinolones in some of the countries, and a very high level of consumption of third-generation cephalosporins in all states in India."

WHO and CDDEP supposedly both used IQVIA data, which is proprietary and not available to the general public. I have no idea why your figures are so different. WHO gives 22.68 DDD for New Zealand.

All countries use antibiotics. All of them have resistance developing. As things stand now reducing antibiotic use is essential.

Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

5,173 posts, read 11,313,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh boy.

I stated I had an allergic reaction to Sulfa's. I lied.

I had to lie so that providers would stop arguing with me about me 'not being resistant to sulfa antibiotics'. Because I am resistant to sulfa antibiotics.

The C & S will state the germ is susceptible. When I take it; it appears to respond for the first 24 hours & them BOOM; my fever is raging, I become disoriented & the original site of the infection will begin to abscess.

My chart & EHR now states that I am allergic to Sulfa's so that I can get an alternative antibiotic prescribed. I didn't mean I proved 'YOU' wrong. I meant; 'why should I accept a prescription knowing that this will happen & to avoid a confrontation with a provider over it'.

Because what was happening is that I would be berated by a provider who sincerely did believe that 'I' could not be resistant to a sulfa. Knowing that this is supposedly correct; that THEY were correct; against my better judgement I would accept the prescribed sulfa. I would be in the ER 48 hours later & after IV fluids, IV abx & tilt tables; I would be given a new script for a non-sulfa abx & fill it, go home & get better.

I 'proved' them wrong but at a great cost to myself. Why waste everybody's time, my money & my health? Now I'm just 'allergic to sulfa'. I'm not, of course. I am RESISTANT to sulfas.
One more time....

It is not possible for a PERSON to become resistant to an antibiotic.....not even REMOTELY possible

Because you had an adverse reaction whether related to the antibiotic or not does not equal you "being resistant" to sulfas....

Doesn't work that way no matter what you choose to tell yourself or believe....

Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM

5,173 posts, read 11,313,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I take the antibiotic long enough for my own immune-system to kick in. My system has been injured & I cannot tolerate the days & days of round the clock doses.

I save the rest for the next time I encounter a cuckold provider who 'can't' prescribe antibiotics for fear of disciplinary actions due to this next 'great idea' from the CDC.
CDC has no regulatory or disciplinary control over doctors...

Your fictional account of prescribers fearing disciplinary actions over antibiotic prescribing is just that....fiction

You really don't seem to have a clue how antibiotics work from your previous posts regarding personally developing resistance to a class of antibiotics ( not possible) to the above ill conceived idea that antibiotics can somehow carry one over until the immune system kicks in...again not how antibiotics or the immune system works....

Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM

10,122 posts, read 6,681,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
CDC has no regulatory or disciplinary control over doctors...

Your fictional account of prescribers fearing disciplinary actions over antibiotic prescribing is just that....fiction

You really don't seem to have a clue how antibiotics work from your previous posts regarding personally developing resistance to a class of antibiotics ( not possible) to the above ill conceived idea that antibiotics can somehow carry one over until the immune system kicks in...again not how antibiotics or the immune system works....

Sometimes it's just not worth trying to communicate with some posters here

They don't get it, they never will get it and they really don't want to get it SMS

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

88,219 posts, read 104,408,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Sometimes it's just not worth trying to communicate with some posters here

They don't get it, they never will get it and they really don't want to get it SMS
In a way though, it's good because it gets the information out to the people "on the fence". Keep it up, guys!

Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM

10,700 posts, read 4,968,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Data?

WHO:

Nations vary widely in antibiotic use, WHO data show | CIDRAP

November 12, 2018

"The report, released on the first day of World Antibiotic Awareness Week, found that overall antibiotic consumption in 65 countries in 2015 ranged from 4.4 defined daily doses (DDD) to 64.4 per 1,000 inhabitants per day, a 16-fold difference."

"The lowest reported antibiotic consumption (4.4 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day) was in Burundi, and the highest use (64.4 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day) was in Mongolia. The countries of WHO's European region had a median consumption of 17.9 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day, with a fivefold difference between the highest consuming (Turkey, 38.2 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day) and lowest consuming (Azerbaijan, 7.7 DDD/1,000 inhabitants per day) countries."

https://www.who.int/medicines/areas/...81109.pdf?ua=1

"The analysis of the different classes of antibiotics, when applying the WHO AWaRe categorization, found a high level of consumption of cephalosporins and quinolones in some of the countries, and a very high level of consumption of third-generation cephalosporins in all states in India."

WHO and CDDEP supposedly both used IQVIA data, which is proprietary and not available to the general public. I have no idea why your figures are so different. WHO gives 22.68 DDD for New Zealand.

All countries use antibiotics. All of them have resistance developing. As things stand now reducing antibiotic use is essential.

You earlier cited a reference saying India had the highest AB consumption and I presented stats showing it was not. I also listed Turkey as the highest. So you present WHO data proving my statement. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or