Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 07:34 PM

17,537 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicolef.../#649d6b11134f

Quote:
Thus, for the first time in six years (and the second time in history), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released a report on antibiotic resistance threats in America. As expected, the statistics are quite shocking – proving that this global health crisis is in no way someone else’s problem, but instead, a domestic problem on the verge of threatening almost a century worth of progress.

This is as serious as it gets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 07:40 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
What else does it say? What should we be doing? I can't load articles like that, seems to freeze my my computer.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:14 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
A century of so-called progress is what caused this antibiotic resistance. Hindsight is 20/20.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
(CDC) has released a report on antibiotic resistance threats

There is a lot of good info in the actual report (Mike's link is above).

Old 11-26-2019, 09:13 AM

17,537 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
A century of so-called progress is what caused this antibiotic resistance. Hindsight is 20/20.

Years ago there was no understanding that bacteria are smarter than we are and can rapidly adapt to antibiotics,

But, we do know that today. Yet mothers still beg for antibiotics for their kids who don't need them and Drs still prescribe hem

We did know, and always told patients, to completely finish the antibiotic fill, even when feeling better. Yet they still stop treatment all the time

We are rapidly running out of antibiotics and the bacteria are winning the race

Old 11-26-2019, 05:42 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Yikers, hopefully they keep coming up with better ABs.

I had a nasty ear-infection, tried like the dickens to get that thing knocked-out without going to the doctor, ABs really do a number on my guts. But it was stubborn, finally went to the Doc and got prescribed drops, nope, had to get some ABs in pill-form and that finally did it.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I am not a believer in CDC so I am not sure if I take this report too seriously, especially when it says "could" a lot of things could cause a lot of other things but that doesn't mean it does or will cause them. I think we have all heard that some build up a resistance to antibiotics if we over use them. This is why, I for one think twice before using them. I would rather let my body fight of an infection when possible. I do not mean, I don't depend on meds to fight infection: of course I do. I am just careful about using them. So is my docore careful about giving them out every time we have something that might require one.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:35 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not a believer in CDC so I am not sure if I take this report too seriously, especially when it says "could" a lot of things could cause a lot of other things but that doesn't mean it does or will cause them. I think we have all heard that some build up a resistance to antibiotics if we over use them. This is why, I for one think twice before using them. I would rather let my body fight of an infection when possible. I do not mean, I don't depend on meds to fight infection: of course I do. I am just careful about using them. So is my docore careful about giving them out every time we have something that might require one.
You don't seem to understand the report or drug resistant micro organisms.

The only "could" used in the report relates to the number of deaths that multiple drug resistant micro organisms will be responsible for....it will be a massive number, it "could" be truly massive

There is no "could" related to the existence of drug resistant bugs....they are here and more are coming..

There is no "could" that drug resistant bugs cause a significant number of deaths already with the numbers growing exponentially.....it is happening NOW

To say one does not "believe in the CDC" means one does not believe in science, and frankly science doesn't care if you believe in it or not...

You also seem to believe "some build up a resistance to antibiotics" if we overuse them....

Some what? People or micro organisms???

Do you think people build up a resistance to antibiotics?? I hear this misconception from patients all the time and it is not how it works...

People will tell me certain antibiotics "don't work on them"....which is of course nonsense

If you correctly believe that "micro organisms build up resistance" well that horse has already left the barn....kind of the point of this report.

Multiple drug resistant bacteria already exist and while appropriate use of antibiotics is important as is not using antibiotics when not needed the problem isn't going away by simply minimizing use of antibiotics going forward...

Last point, if antibiotics are needed then a doctor shouldn't be careful about using, failure to treat a bacterial infection aggressively can lead to loss of life or limb. Your body isn't going to be able to "fight off" an overwhelming bacterial infection and by the time you realize this it may well be too late...

Old 11-27-2019, 08:34 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
You don't seem to understand the report or drug resistant micro organisms.

The only "could" used in the report relates to the number of deaths that multiple drug resistant micro organisms will be responsible for....it will be a massive number, it "could" be truly massive

There is no "could" related to the existence of drug resistant bugs....they are here and more are coming..

There is no "could" that drug resistant bugs cause a significant number of deaths already with the numbers growing exponentially.....it is happening NOW

To say one does not "believe in the CDC" means one does not believe in science, and frankly science doesn't care if you believe in it or not...

You also seem to believe "some build up a resistance to antibiotics" if we overuse them....

Some what? People or micro organisms???

Do you think people build up a resistance to antibiotics?? I hear this misconception from patients all the time and it is not how it works...

People will tell me certain antibiotics "don't work on them"....which is of course nonsense

If you correctly believe that "micro organisms build up resistance" well that horse has already left the barn....kind of the point of this report.

Multiple drug resistant bacteria already exist and while appropriate use of antibiotics is important as is not using antibiotics when not needed the problem isn't going away by simply minimizing use of antibiotics going forward...

Last point, if antibiotics are needed then a doctor shouldn't be careful about using, failure to treat a bacterial infection aggressively can lead to loss of life or limb. Your body isn't going to be able to "fight off" an overwhelming bacterial infection and by the time you realize this it may well be too late...
Oh brother.

Doctors like you are why I have 'sulfa abx' listed as an allergy on my chart.

I am not allergic to Sulfa's.

Sulfa's seem to work on my infections for the first 24 hours. Within 48 hours I will be on a tilt table in the ER with IVs running wide open, trying to mitigate my 105 degree fever. This has happened to me over & over & over ...

The C&S will state the bug is resistant to Sulfa's. But that bug in ME + Sulfa results in a 'super-bug'. You know why? Because I had chronic strep as a child & was on antibiotics for sometimes 9 months out of 12.

I AM resistant to many broad-spectrum abx & doctors do not LISTEN to me; so now I just keep it simple for them so they don't put me into septic shock with their 'Bacteria are either susceptible or not; not the patient' trope.

And the CDC is gaming us here. They have their annual 'Antibiotics awareness week/month' to coincide with the start of flu season. Then doctors are wary of treating the secondary pneumonia's with antibiotics which inevitably leads to higher 'influenza & pneumonia' mortality.

Guess what that increases the demand for?

This excessive pearl-clutching of 'antibiotic awareness' this year is just a preliminary fear-mongering for the upcoming ETVAX, for diarrhea from E Coli. E. Coli is treatable with antibiotics.

Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Years ago there was no understanding that bacteria are smarter than we are and can rapidly adapt to antibiotics,

But, we do know that today. Yet mothers still beg for antibiotics for their kids who don't need them and Drs still prescribe hem

We did know, and always told patients, to completely finish the antibiotic fill, even when feeling better. Yet they still stop treatment all the time

We are rapidly running out of antibiotics and the bacteria are winning the race
How can you say that we didn't know this years ago? It was mid-80's when I was in the library reading about the dangers of overuse of antibiotics, my son had been prescribed 13 times at 18 months for ear infections and they weren't working on him anymore. As a mom, a non-medically trained person, I was worried that his little body wouldn't be able to use antibiotics to fight off a serious disease.

I was able to get the cycle of ear infections stopped with a homeopathic chiropractor.

The info was out there decades ago. The fact that doctors still pass out antiobiotics like candy is horrible, not to mention the overuse of antibacterial soaps and hand cleaners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness