U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 05:36 PM

8,745 posts, read 2,556,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Let's add the placebo effect to the conversation.

When we were young, we weren't terrified to get measles, mumps, chickenpox, etc. Everyone got it. You didn't have to go to the hospital or doctor, just stay home, rest, let mom take care of you for a few days until you got through it. There is a placebo effect to believing that's how it will go.

I've used that same placebo strategy on my children and grandchildren and husband - go lay down, here's some juice, you'll be fine. And yes, here's some chicken noodle soup.
There was an independent researcher looking into the constant barrage of cancer stats and how most people total fully believe that they WILL get cancer > mindset > set fulfilling prophecy.

I'll try to find that info.

Old Today, 05:37 PM

6,994 posts, read 3,820,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
I wonder if laughing about measles on t.v. or radio comedy shows helped with this placebo effect too? I bet today's hysterical media coverage about it is having the opposite effect (and I'm sure that's intended; hoping to scare the dickens out of the public).
You will be hard pressed to find those old episodes of Marsha Brady with Measles or the Beaver with the Mumps. Laugh tracks on those episodes because everyone back in those days thought it was FUNNY

Old Today, 06:05 PM

15,945 posts, read 9,142,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You will be hard pressed to find those old episodes of Marsha Brady with Measles or the Beaver with the Mumps. Laugh tracks on those episodes because everyone back in those days thought it was FUNNY
Yeah...it used to be funny for the boss to chase the secretary around the desk, too.

Risks that used to seem typical, normal, ordinary, and acceptable don't seem that way when after decades of seeing nothing the old risk is coming back. People aren't used to kids getting anything other than colds or maybe strep so when they do get something, yeah, it's a bigger and scarier thing not just because people aren't versed in it anymore but the world has become relatively safer (childhood disease-wise) over those decades.

Old Today, 06:09 PM

6,994 posts, read 3,820,844 times
Coschristie, I think you need to be more concerned with what if you catch a norovirus, flu, or pneumonia, than if you catch measles.

I have seen pictures of people on crowded Tokyo streets wearing masks. I once sat next to a man on a plane wearing a mask, ear protectors, using disposable gloves, and disinfecting everything around him, including the bottle of water the flight attendant handed him. If that is what he thought he needed to do, so be it. He was taking his health into his own hands and not demanding other people protect him. The original concept of Herd Immunity was that when adults, teenagers, pre-teens, older children had these diseases when young, and got natural lifetime immunity, the majority of the Herd was immune.

My younger daughter has an autoimmune disease in adulthood. Last Winter she had Influenza A in September, got it again December, and then in January got Pneumonia. She cannot depend on the Herd to protect her from these, and the "stomach bugs", etc.

Daughter decided to become a Vegan, with a major emphasis on Asian and Indian foods, which contain a lot of "exotic" spices, including ginger root, tamarind, saffron, and others I never heard of. Shall see what happens this year's Flu Season. She believes in choice, and has said she would never demand that the rest of the population protect HER.

Old Today, 06:23 PM

20,771 posts, read 19,709,745 times
Thread has run its course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or