U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

149 posts, read 10,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Not the poster you asked but I found your question interesting because my dad got the measles in the late 1940's-early 1950's & his dad was a doctor.

I don't recall him saying anything about him being treated with anything special at all but I will ask him later today when I talk to him.
I would love to know what he says!
Quote:
Honestly; I think people were just healthier then. They were healthy before they got the measles & getting the measles would make them even healthier.
It sure seems like it, for most people.

Quote:
Even if he was given something different due to his dad being a doctor; he was a energetic boy who ran amok outside as all little boys did. His eggs & milk & vegetables came from a farm, versus a corporate Ag factory & his meat came from local ranches. No hormones, antibiotics or GMO crap.
That probably helped tremendously!

Quote:
I don't think any mysterious cocktail could possibly compete with being just plain healthy.
That's true! It sounds like the key to staying healthy with measles (or in general) is to live in sanitary, non-crowded conditions, eat plenty of fresh vitamin-rich foods, and get plenty of rest.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

88,230 posts, read 104,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
That's too bad! Do you remember the kinds of foods that you normally ate as a child? How was your vitamin A consumption? Do you know if you consume very many eggs, liver, cod liver oil or whole milk?
Oh, yes! I ate nothing but TV dinners (new at the time), other junk food and never, ever ate any foods with Vitamin A, drank milk or ate eggs.

Cod liver oil? That's an old wive's tale. Always the fault of "nutrition"! Criminey!

What I think is funny, and I mean laughable, is all these people recalling measles from 60+ years ago (remember that the V came out in 1963). These memories are all at least 57 years old, yet these people who just enjoyed staying home and watching TV (H*ll, we didn't even have one then), eating grilled cheese sandwiches and lounging on the couch, going outside to play with their sunglasses on, etc like it was yesterday have such fond memories of measles disease. These people were very young (I think the oldest was about 10) and this was a long time ago. If they think it was all so wonderful, well of course it was! If you think you're parents weren't worried, unless they were very ignorant, of course they were! Give me a break!

Ed: With no prelude, I asked my husband if he remembers having measles. His response: "No".

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

20,771 posts, read 19,709,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Not the poster you asked but I found your question interesting because my dad got the measles in the late 1940's-early 1950's & his dad was a doctor.

I don't recall him saying anything about him being treated with anything special at all but I will ask him later today when I talk to him.

Honestly; I think people were just healthier then. They were healthy before they got the measles & getting the measles would make them even healthier.

Even if he was given something different due to his dad being a doctor; he was a energetic boy who ran amok outside as all little boys did. His eggs & milk & vegetables came from a farm, versus a corporate Ag factory & his meat came from local ranches. No hormones, antibiotics or GMO crap.

I don't think any mysterious cocktail could possibly compete with being just plain healthy.
I think you may have a point. Kids were usually just healthier--played outside, ate real food because junk food didn't exist yet, and our real food didn't have hormones, antibiotics, preservatives or whatever else they put in food now. Most of our food was fresh and didn't come out of a box. We drank a lot of (hormone free) milk. Well, of course we did eat Wonder Bread, lol. "Builds bodies 8 ways" hahahaha. I remember eating dirt in the form of my own home made cookies. Yuck. We played outside in the ice and snow--we were not allowed to stay inside. We'd get a cold every once in a while but that was about it.

There were special treatments for colds, like soup, turning the heat up as high as it would go and piling on a load of blankets so you could "sweat it out." Lemon or something that we had to drink.

But back to MEASLES. Stay in a darkened room. That was all. And I was not allowed to read. That was the worse part of it. I felt fine but had to stay in bed and not do anything.

No one had any fear of measles or chicken pox and they wanted boys to get the mumps, for sure. The diseases that scared my mother were whooping cough--she remembered little babies dying of it, but the biggies that she was terrified of were smallpox and polio. Smallpox, was the worst by far, a terrible way to die by bleeding through the skin. If you survived, you were scarred for life. Maybe it had other effects, I don't know, but when I got my vaccination at age 5, my mother told me how lucky I was. Polio was still around when I was growing up so that took center stage. In our small town a few kids got it and were crippled by it, I knew people later on who'd had it and were crippled, and my aunt even got it as an adult.
It weakened her and she was fatigued a lot. She is the one I sometimes talk about who developed a horrible case of shingles and simply just died. No one knows if it was the bout with polio that really weakened her and finished her off.

...I just read a few days ago that the smallpox "vaccine" was around in India and China long ago. The primitive method, that is. They knew way back then. And I read about one man who learned about it from his African slave! (All these years of bowing down to Edward Jenner!) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1200696/ This is an interesting article about it--Jenner gets some credit but if only people had listened to the Turks, Chinese, etc. long ago. That disease was a real killer.

Last edited by in_newengland; Yesterday at 03:38 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you remember being given any special treatment, supplements or foods?
She (Jo48) was six months old! Now here on CD, a six month old anti-V person probably has excellent memory of a case of measles that happened 70+ years ago, but IRL, not so much. At 6 months, she wasn't taking much but formula or breast milk.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm not the only one:

Jeez! You're not even a mod! We're not debating v******* here, thank you very much!
Just trying to follow the directions so the thread doesn't get deleted, like all of the other ones where it's brought up and trying to keep people on the subject of the thread as much as possible, because there's virtually nowhere else to get this information.Thanks for your cooperation in advance!

Quote:
Any controversial topic belongs in P&OC. In this forum, we discuss topics about health and wellness with a view to providing info on what works as a layperson, what doesn't as a layperson, we provide info to confused patients to the best of our non-professional knowledge, based on our own experiences.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...-vaccines.html

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Oh, yes! I ate nothing but TV dinners (new at the time), other junk food and never, ever ate any foods with Vitamin A, drank milk or ate eggs.

Cod liver oil? That's an old wive's tale.
Cod liver oil can contain significant amounts of vitamin A.

Quote:
Always the fault of "nutrition"! Criminey!
Well in your case it sounds like eating subpar foods made your experience worse. *shrug*

Quote:
What I think is funny, and I mean laughable, is all these people recalling measles from 60+ years ago (remember that the V came out in 1963). These memories are all at least 57 years old, yet these people who just enjoyed staying home and watching TV (H*ll, we didn't even have one then), eating grilled cheese sandwiches and lounging on the couch, going outside to play with their sunglasses on, etc like it was yesterday have such fond memories of measles disease. These people were very young (I think the oldest was about 10) and this was a long time ago. If they think it was all so wonderful, well of course it was! If you think you're parents weren't worried, unless they were very ignorant, of course they were! Give me a break!
It sure does look a lot different than what the mainstream media focuses on, which is the experience of poor people living in third world countries. So I wouldn't be surprised if in their case, they have bad memories to go along with their bad experiences.

Quote:
Ed: With no prelude, I asked my husband if he remembers having measles. His response: "No".
I guess that's better than remembering a bad one!

Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think you may have a point. Kids were usually just healthier--played outside, ate real food because junk food didn't exist yet, and our real food didn't have hormones, antibiotics, preservatives or whatever else they put in food now. Most of our food was fresh and didn't come out of a box. We drank a lot of (hormone free) milk. Well, of course we did eat Wonder Bread, lol. "Builds bodies 8 ways" hahahaha. I remember eating dirt in the form of my own home made cookies. Yuck. We played outside in the ice and snow--we were not allowed to stay inside. We'd get a cold every once in a while but that was about it.

There were special treatments for colds, like soup, turning the heat up as high as it would go and piling on a load of blankets so you could "sweat it out." Lemon or something that we had to drink.

But back to MEASLES. Stay in a darkened room. That was all. And I was not allowed to read. That was the worse part of it. I felt fine but had to stay in bed and not do anything.

No one had any fear of measles or chicken pox and they wanted boys to get the mumps, for sure. The diseases that scared my mother were whooping cough--she remembered little babies dying of it, but the biggies that she was terrified of were smallpox and polio. Smallpox, was the worst by far, a terrible way to die by bleeding through the skin. If you survived, you were scarred for life. Maybe it had other effects, I don't know, but when I got my vaccination at age 5, my mother told me how lucky I was. Polio was still around when I was growing up so that took center stage. In our small town a few kids got it and were crippled by it, I knew people later on who'd had it and were crippled, and my aunt even got it as an adult.
It weakened her and she was fatigued a lot. She is the one I sometimes talk about who developed a horrible case of shingles and simply just died. No one knows if it was the bout with polio that really weakened her and finished her off.

...I just read a few days ago that the smallpox "vaccine" was around in India and China long ago. The primitive method, that is. They knew way back then. And I read about one man who learned about it from his African slave! (All these years of bowing down to Edward Jenner!) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1200696/ This is an interesting article about it--Jenner gets some credit but if only people had listened to the the Turks, Chinese, etc. long ago. That disease was a real killer.
Another one with a measles memory from 60+ years ago! How do you know, as a child, what your mother/father feared or didn't fear? Measles was scary, regardless of how many people on here post that their parents thought it was all a big joke.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480406/
"One vivid account of measles describes the disease’s deadly spread through a prominent Boston household >300 years ago. In 1713, America’s first important medical figure (3), Puritan minister Cotton Mather (1663–1728), called by one authority “the Dr. Spock of the colonial New England” (4), wrote about a measles epidemic in the American colonies, describing not only its epidemiology and devastation but also the fear it elicited."
Not exactly a party.

Here is some information on smallpox, since you don't know much about it by your own admission.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox

Jenner's vaccine was different from the old "variolation". He used cowpox virus, not smallpox virus.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1200696/

Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM

6,994 posts, read 3,820,844 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. Do you remember being given any special treatment, supplements or foods?
No, far too young to remember, but my Mom did tell me that she put mittens on me when I had chicken pox as a baby, and gave me oatmeal baths, which my daughters Pediatrician also said to do in the 90's when they had pox. See? Old Wives tales>

Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Cod liver oil can contain significant amounts of vitamin A.

Well in your case it sounds like eating subpar foods made your experience worse. *shrug*

It sure does look a lot different than what the mainstream media focuses on, which is the experience of poor people living in third world countries. So I wouldn't be surprised if in their case, they have bad memories to go along with their bad experiences.

I guess that's better than remembering a bad one!
You don't seem to get sarcasm. We ate what everyone else ate. My parents gardened; my mom canned and froze food. There were no home freezers then; they rented a freezer. She cooked every night. We wen out to eat about once a year.

Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, far too young to remember, but my Mom did tell me that she put mittens on me when I had chicken pox as a baby, and gave me oatmeal baths, which my daughters Pediatrician also said to do in the 90's when they had pox. See? Old Wives tales>
I don't know if I can accept these memories from you Jo48; you obviously can't remember that far back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or